The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: portable hubs  (Read 2733 times)

Offline marten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
portable hubs
« on: Mar 17, 2021, 05:25 PM »
 ??? what is the best portable ice shelter hub not pull over  ??? :tipup:

Offline Flaaaagman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: portable hubs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2021, 07:18 PM »
 :tipup: What size (how many anglers?), budget?

I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3i, good for 2 people and a heater. I'd like to get the 949i, just to have more room.

I have an Otter Monster Lodge 8x14 can stand up in and can fish the whole family in it.  Me, Wife, 2 kids (16 and 9), gear, heater, and a small fan and table with chairs.

Also recently purchased an Otter Cabin.  I don't care for it, it is short, smaller than the Quickfish in feel, and only has one door. :tipup:

If you fish anywhere it gets super cold, I recommend the insulated types.
FFFFFLAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGG GGGG!!!!

Offline marten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2021, 07:40 PM »
i think the vortex resort hub will do it only 2 of us plus cots table etc.2 buddys heaters  ??? :tipup:

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Otter in the size/configuration you need. I have Pro Cabin and really couldn’t  be happier. Mine has two doors. I’ve had other popular brands... Otter is kinda like the Cadillac in my opinion

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:26 AM »
I have the Eskimo fat fish 949i, very nice set up and plenty of room to fish 3. I use foam exercise mats for a floor, keeps it a little warmer and more dry. Polar Bird is another great one I’ve used. Those are very nice, but pretty high end.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:56 AM »
My eskimo fat fish 949i has been really dependable for me. im a little rough on it and its held up very well. I have a friend who got the new 5man otter and im a fan of that one too. It is slightly larger than the eskimo with a few different design changes.

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2021, 07:32 AM »
What about attachments for towing (snowmobile or ATV) for both the hub and plastic sleds ("Y" brackets, pin, easy disassemble for the pickup truck,  etc.)
I guess I'm looking to update and have one one towing system for items I bring on the ice.
Thanks

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:21 PM »
Owned a couple different ones very impressed with my Eskimo outbreak 450XD.
Only thing could complain about I wish the carry bag was allittle bigger with zipper.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:00 PM »
I currently own an Eskimo fatfish and it is very good I previously owned an HT 2 man pop up and before that one on a sled base.   The fatfish does the job and I got a demo model from ebay for $175 in the off season.  It has enough room for 3 and is easy to put up and down.  Getting it back in the bag is a little challenging but I manage it and it works well.

Offline SpeedScout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2021, 07:20 PM »
I have had the Clam big-foot XL 2000 since 2017. Its been great! Plenty of room for 4 people! See a used one in good shape , buy it!

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2021, 04:54 PM »

I have many Ice houses, a Clam Sleeper, Clam X2, Shappel 5000 & 6000 and a Wide House, as I like to have choices to fit where we are going to how many there will be.

If my only pick was going with just a Hub, I would go with the Wide House hub.  They have a lot more room inside and doesn't take any more space to store it and I can heat all of my houses with a buddy heater

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2021, 06:07 PM »
Nows the time to buy.. some good sales!!!!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2021, 06:48 PM »
I'd toss in a vote for the Eskimo 949i. Easy up, easy down. Easier down and stowed in the bag with two people but doable with one. Plenty of room for three to fish, four or five to just sit and watch tippys or warm up. Had mine out in -26F and a regular Buddy heater actually kept it very comfortable. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2021, 07:30 PM »
What about attachments for towing (snowmobile or ATV) for both the hub and plastic sleds ("Y" brackets, pin, easy disassemble for the pickup truck,  etc.)
I guess I'm looking to update and have one one towing system for items I bring on the ice.
Thanks
I have an Eskimo Quikfish 2, fairly comfortable for two and a heater/stove. I made a tow rig from about ten dollars worth of hardware. Had a friend do the welding

Offline icetwandrer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Clam x6 thermal best I've had   can sleep 4 people with cots and heaters , or just big enough for any family to have a good warm day in.  Definitely worth the investment especially with off season deals

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2021, 07:24 AM »
I've been very happy with my Clam XL4000T but honestly it's kinda funny how people say one brand is junk and the other is not... they are all subcontracted manufacturers from China, probably made in the same building. Pretty much pick your favorite color is how I see it. I've had my XL4000T for probably 10 years and it's been terrific.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.