The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Slow fishing  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Slow fishing
« on: Mar 15, 2021, 06:52 AM »
I talk to a bunch of guys from this area almost daily about fishing. Seems like the last 10-12 days the bite has been very slow even on some of the better lakes. One in our group has two shacks on West Grand. there were 5 groups that fish these two shacks last week only landing 1-2 fish per day. In past years after a rain with in a couple of days the fishing has been great with the added oxygen put in the lakes. But this year so seems very slow for March.  :-\
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Slow fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2021, 07:22 AM »
Yeah, it’s been kinda slow on my end as well. I have been able to do well on whitefish, but had to put some work into it. One thing I noticed is the lack of togue in this last month’s trip’s. Usually catch a least a couple a trip. I don’t target them eeethah.  Hunh.... My best luck on whitefish has been generally before 10 am. Virtually 0 after noon. The last couple days out, was marking plenty of fish early, but not feeding ones, for the most part. Yesterday, one for yellow perch. Caught 4 and a small bass between 7AM and 1 PM. Usually get 30 to 60 in less time than that. One more trip Friday, then I’m sticking a fork in it.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Over my last years of fishing tru the ice when the wind blows hard your better off staying HOME . when out on ice on a windy day and you look down at water in ice hole and it is raising up and down a lot of pressure is put into the lake ,it spooks fish bad .Making a very poor day to fish!!!!!!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2021, 09:14 AM »
March has been super tough on open water also.  Not a bump in 4 trips in a row from 2/27 to 3/11.  And I broke my arse trying.  Finally scraped up a couple hits and a brookie on 3/12.  I've talked to quite a few anglers skunked for going on weeks.

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I got skunked on Saturday. If it wasn't my day off, I would have just stayed home. Woodchip is right, post frontal High Pressure days are always horrible for me, even when going for WW species. My dumb ass tried for browns (and WW) and got nothing for it. My local pond is also now completely open so I think I'm putting the traps and jig rods away, getting my canoe and bass rods out, and I'm trying to get on the green fish in open water now.

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:02 PM »
March has always been boom and bust or hot or not for me. I've theorized that by this time in the season the fish have seen (and felt) a lot of baits and jigs. Hence the chew and screw days on traps and timid looks at jigs? At least that's what I keep telling myself! Combine fishing pressure with the aforementioned post-frontal steady rising high pressure and/or wind and it seems to be a recipe for disaster! Just got to keep grinding and eventually you will hit a good bite! :tipup:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:50 PM »
When this cold front passes and the wind dies down it will be the best March fishing ever!!!!! dont be in too much of a hurray to put gear away..

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2021, 01:18 PM »
I'm in a hurry to get my softwater gear out bud! I fish the hard just to keep from going crazy, and to keep me tided over until it starts to open up. Then the green and brown fish are in my sights 9 outta 10 times!

But I'll keep the traps at the ready, maybe one more hardwater run for Trout before I switch back to flyrod and freezing "Nature's Thermometer" (as Jim puts it) for the salmonids.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2021, 06:09 PM »
I'm with you on the open water.  Good news......I found some 38* open water on 3/12.  Downright balmy wading ;D

I'm in a hurry to get my softwater gear out bud! I fish the hard just to keep from going crazy, and to keep me tided over until it starts to open up. Then the green and brown fish are in my sights 9 outta 10 times!

But I'll keep the traps at the ready, maybe one more hardwater run for Trout before I switch back to flyrod and freezing "Nature's Thermometer" (as Jim puts it) for the salmonids.

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2021, 07:49 AM »
That's not a river, that's a central maine hotspring!

I am getting the canoe out this weekend. Gonna head over to the pond and bring the smallest, lightest rod I have and the biggest, highest power rod I have. If they don't bite on the Huddlestons, they better bite on the dropshot. Also might hit the southern andro and troll for prespawn pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.