Michigan > Ice Fishing Michigan

Auger Blade Sharpening

<< < (2/3) > >>

Doeslayer:
Babying you blades plays more to hand augers... My jiffy is a chipper ive never sharpened it and im sure if it was sharpened it would cut better but being a one armed bandit i like that it doesnt bite to hard... I enjoy my wrists lol.. Plus i havent used it in 3 years because ive had no need... Might sell it and buy and ion they have em at menards right now

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: Rebelss on Jan 24, 2021, 11:47 AM ---Never seen where ice keeps blades sharp, but oil, stone and light hone after each use will. Razor sharp.

--- End quote ---
That is an art, and you could probably make some money touching them up for people.

I've butchered a couple sets trying to stone them in the past. I just buy replacements now. I'm pretty easy on my blades, though, aside from smacking a rock last season. I also don't drill a ton of holes, so a set generally lasts me a lot of years.

JoeLansing:
I want to try my hand at sharpening some.  I've got a ken onion Worksharp, and a 30 x 1 belt sander with every belt including leather.  I always keep new Lazer blades with me just in case, but I never need them because I baby my auger.  It seems like Lazer and Mora at least wouldn't be that hard to sharpen once you know what not to do.  Don't sharpen the flat edge, don't round the corners, and don't take much off unless it's really beat up.  The 2nd small bevel on them is what cuts, so you shouldn't need to take off much. 
- Joe

Rebelss:

--- Quote from: zcm_82 on Jan 24, 2021, 06:08 PM ---That is an art, and you could probably make some money touching them up for people.

I've butchered a couple sets trying to stone them in the past. I just buy replacements now. I'm pretty easy on my blades, though, aside from smacking a rock last season. I also don't drill a ton of holes, so a set generally lasts me a lot of years.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, but no thanks. Way too many years of fixing augers, engines, and ruined blades. I won't do it anymore, to see them taken right back out and abused. A friend or two; that's it. I don't charge them.

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: Rebelss on Jan 25, 2021, 04:56 PM ---Thanks, but no thanks. Way too many years of fixing augers, engines, and ruined blades. I won't do it anymore, to see them taken right back out and abused. A friend or two; that's it. I don't charge them.

--- End quote ---
It makes me cringe watching guys bang them on the ice. That is just like flushing money down the toilet. In the past 20 years I think I've only had to buy 3 sets of blades, and one was because I hit a rock like an idiot in shallow water last season.

A friend of mine goes through a set or two every season, and he fishes less than me 😬 I keep telling him the auger isn't a walking stick...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version