Author Topic: Knee pads  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Knee pads
« on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Anyone use them on the ice? Looking at getting a pair as I do a LOT of my fishing kneeling but it's getting a little tougher on these old bony knees...not to mention standing back up, but that's another story.  ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Knee pads
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Grew up using a throwable boat cushion. Kept me up offa the ice, outa the water and soft on the landing. Bought a SnoSuit in '07 that had neoprene padded knees and butt plus waterproof. Still carry the boat cushion just in case we need a throwable. Not usually foolish or careless but you never know.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:11 AM »
Grew up using a throwable boat cushion. Kept me up offa the ice, outa the water and soft on the landing. Bought a SnoSuit in '07 that had neoprene padded knees and butt plus waterproof. Still carry the boat cushion just in case we need a throwable. Not usually foolish or careless but you never know.

Yeah. My ice bibs have "decent" padding in the knees. Just looking for a bit more. Thought about those boat cushion/gardening pad types. Just don't want more chit to carry around. Any of those wrap arounds would work I guess. They'd be under the bibs so...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Kuiu makes the pants I bow hunt in and they have padded knees. Not sure why ice fishing clothing vendors cant do the same thing......

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Yeah. My bibs have "decent" padding in the knees. Just looking for a bit more. Thought about those boat cushion/gardening pad types. Just don't want more chit to carry around. Any of those wrap arounds would work I guess. They'd be under the bibs so...

I use these (light weight, small, easy):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kneeling-Pad-15-x-12-Protector-Foam-Mat-Garden-Work-Exercise-Knees-Protection/131737432

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Ice fishing specific bibs have them. My strike master predator and the no-names before that both had padded knees. My motorcycle pants also have removable knee pads. If you have a pair of pants you like,  make some pads out of an old ensolite sleeping pad, or look through motorcycle web sites and order some nice molded ones, and adapt them to your bibs.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:31 PM »
rgr that!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:45 PM »
I’ve tried knee pads but now I prefer a small piece of dense foam pad to kneel on.  I think it’s one of those interlocking pieces you get at Home Depot.  I duct taped the ice side.  I also added a more cushy piece of regular foam to the top. 

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2020, 01:06 PM »
x2 on the Strike Master Predator bibs, makes like more comfy on the ice.

Knee Pads....San Francisco Slippers!
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Before I bought my Predator bibs, I used an old pair of Bowhunting coveralls and a pair of carpenter’s knee pads I picked up at Lowe’s.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Oh the woes of aging.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Oh the woes of aging.

You can say that again. Wup... never mind. Just tried to climb from the couch. Now I have to get up off the floor. Reminder of age not needed.  ::)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:37 PM »
You can say that again. Wup... never mind. Just tried to climb from the couch. Now I have to get up off the floor. Reminder of age not needed.  ::)

I've thought of strapping myself to the couch, and putting big hoops on it....so ya just roll in one piece.  ;D

I always used those garden foam kneeling pads....Harbor Freight carries a nice thick pad, too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-foam-kneeling-pad-56572.html?cid=paid_google|||56572&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqdP9BRDVARIsAGSZ8Amv5MUgZTP-z070ew4ut0VU0haSvqRHIlmz5Q7dqqYPrr3rsv6Wpd4aAmF3EALw_wcB
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2020, 09:55 PM »
The pain of dropping to your knees directly on a sizable ice chip is very real!!  My bibs seem to have enough paddding most times but on glare ice I do have a boat cushion that I’ll use.

Offline RedRiverRick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Cheap Volleyball knee pads under bibs.
What colour are you using?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:45 PM »
The padding on the striker suits are absolutely horrible. They are amazing for about an hour on your knees then they are worthless. I bought some hardwater bibs at the end of last ice season and they are paper thin in the knees. My predator bibs are the same way.

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:44 PM »
One of my other passions as well as my profession, is as a cave explorer.  As such I wear knee pads all the time and have tried everything out there.   The best ones that I found is a company called Dirty Dave's.  They are comfortable and last forever.  They are designed for caves but certainly will hold up to kneeling in front of a hole on the ice.   

https://www.innermountainoutfitters.com/dirty-daves-short-knee-pads/

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:18 PM »
Hillsfisher are these things worn underneath your bibs or on the outside?

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:18 PM »
You could probably do either, but made to be tough enough to be worn outside. 

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:56 PM »
That's what i was kinda hoping to hear.  Wasn't sure if they'd hold up to ice and snow.  Thx Man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.