Author Topic: Any info for bluegill fishin.  (Read 7852 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Any info for bluegill fishin.
« on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:43 PM »
I would like any information possible about bluegill fishing.  Much appreciated.  Please instant message me. Thanks ;D.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any info for bluegill fishin.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:07 AM »
Light tackle.  Small line either 1 or 2lb test.  Fireline Micro Ice works well just in case you get a bigger crappie to hit.  I buy the 4lb fireline that is actually 1lb test diameter.  Small jigs with a different assortment of colors including glow jigs.  A very light weight graphite rod.  And of course a graph like a Vexilar or Colorpoint so you can bring the jig to the bluegill instead of waiting for one to bite.

I mostly use waxworms but I have tried maggots.  Wax worms work better and are cheaper.

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2003, 10:21 AM »
Thanks, is there anything I should know about the time of year in the winter, and what kind of stuff bluegill like to live in.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline Jameytree

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2003, 05:58 PM »
First and last ice are best as in most ice fishing.  This also happens to be the most dangerous time of year.  Edges of weed in shallow bays are great early on.  Fish close to spawning areas before ice out.  Small baits, slow presentation with minimal jigging.  Tip with a waxie or spike.

zoom

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2003, 09:52 AM »
WEEDS WEEDS WEEDS=BULLGILL

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2003, 10:37 AM »
Weeds Weeds Weeds!

definately the way to go. bluegill need cover to get away from predators.

case and point: you don't play hide-and-seek in an empty parking lot, do you?

concentrate on weedy areas. my very best luck has been when i find a small opening in cover and drop my lure in it. seems to bring fish "right out of the woodwork" if you catch my drift.

but my best advice is concentrate on cover. for bluegills, definately weeds or timber.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2003, 12:28 PM »
does depth matter as long as there are weeds

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2003, 04:59 AM »
hey water, panfish won't be in deep water, so fish 5-10 feet deep.   weeds help, but if you can find any drop-offs or points, bluegills and any other fish will be there.  try the weeds, but if they don't produce, go to either deeper, or shallower water.  good fishing!!!

Mr.Ice_Fishing

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2003, 05:10 PM »
I always caryy one thing with me when I ice fish blue gills is a nice small green jig. Also dont be afraid to move around . Drill a bunch of holes in a good spot and move from hole to hole.
ME>Ice Fishing
keep them coming :'(

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2003, 04:57 PM »
I don't agree that gills don't use deep water.  Most of the time on most lakes they will be in les than 10 feet of water.  However, if the shallow water does not produce don't be afraid to try deep water(15-30+ ft).  I have caught bluegills in 40 ft of water while crappie fishing; they will usually be closer to the bottom,  but will suspend.  On one particular lake I fish the only place I catch gills is in 22ft of water at about 18ft.  Weeds hold gills until the weeds die off and no longer provide oxygen or food.  The next place to look is, as also stated above, in "the woods"  Stumps, fallen trees, fish cribs, etc. are a bluegills next favorite haunt.  If you can't find fish there chances are they went in search of, oxygen and/or warmer water.  The deeper water will have both of those Mid-season.  Just my .02.  Can't hurt to try, hey!

Eric ;D
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:06 AM »
Dont be spooked when you fishing for gills and you start catching crappie that are up off the bottom, just try to get down below them and usually you will find the gills below them. At least thats the way they run around here in Indiana, They are a little wierd here just gotta keep down and green and oranges usually are my best colors for them gills. Good luck and tighter lines.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2003, 01:06 PM »
HI, HERE IN NEW YORK WE USE 2LB TEST ICE LINE. WE ALSO CAUGHT GILLS IN OVER 40FT. IT SEEMS THE BIGGER GILLS ARE IN DEEPER WATER BUT ALSO WE CAUGHT GILLS IN 8 TO 10 FT. OF WATER ,IT'S SEEM THAT I ALWAYS LOOK FOR DEPTH FROM 12' TO 16'. WE DO VERY WELL AT THAT DEPTH. GOOD LUCK  
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2003, 01:58 PM »
AsphaltKid,If catching crappies is spooky,then I want to be scared to death....

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Yeah I know it sounds wierd but alot guys around here want to get them gills and if they start catching the crappie they up and move to find gills. Me personally I like to catch em and try to get down there to the gills. I have had a huge amount of success fishin for the crappies and catch the gills with a smile when I can get down through the crappies to get to em. The fish have schooled up together this year and it has been so much fun.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2003, 02:39 PM »
Also try switching to Strens golden yellow line 2lb. I think the fish see the line and get curious and find a little suprise at the end, plus it is easier for me to detect the light biters when they sometimes raise up with the jig.

eker11

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2003, 07:18 AM »
When bluegill and perch fishing do they stay in supended water rather then on the bottom generally?  if u are fishing in 20 ft of water are they at 19ft or 15ft during mid-ice fishing season?  Or does it determine on the lake.

Danimal

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2003, 06:53 AM »
I have to agree with fish247. It would all depend upon the body of water you are fishing. Shallow water is a broad term. In my home lakes in Braidwood Il, I fish old strip mines. These lakes will drop off almost immediately. Shallow water would be considered 10-15' of water. The weeds will extend to the deep edge of 15'. Bluegills will relate to some sort of structure. Find structure & you will find fish. I fish alot of fallen timber all year & will normally produce. If no fish in timber weed edges, sunken humps or islands or deep points are worth a look. Sometimes finding the deepest water will produce. My point is,after all this, I try to go out with a game plan. Knowing the body of water you are fishing is always ideal, but that is not always the case. If you find something that works, stick to it.    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.