Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bluegill

When fishing gets tough for bluegills

(1/5) > >>

Iceshanty:
When the fishing gets tough for bluegills try 1lb test line and no.12 chartruse green jig tipped with a waxworm for better action. Change your jigging motion to trigger fish that won't bite. Slow : Raise or lower jig 1/2" to 1/4" at a time very slowly in the zone where you think the fish are. Fast: Jig hard and fast above the fish zone then slowly lower letting it drop free fall the last couple of inches. High: During March and April Wisconsin late ice bluegills can be found less than 1 foot under the ice.

-Scott IceShanty.com

crappie_hunter:
i use a small rat finky tipped with a freshwater shrimp the gills go nuts

TUSH:
Crappie Hunter,
What is a rat finky? Who is it sold by? Do you like a certain color? I'm always looking to try something new. Does this method catch crappie too?

Thanks

fishydog:
Rat Finkies are made by Custom Jigs and Spins.  http://www.customjigsandspins.com
They work for most panfish and perch.  The Shrimpos are good too.

bigredonice:
i always find my biggest blue gills on the out side edge of a large weedy flat.  Light (1-2lb test) line, and very small jigs are a must.  usually i end up in about 10-14 feet of water by midwinter.  Also, the blue gills will suspend, come later in the winter.  thats when you need electronics, or a darkend fish shelter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version