Author Topic: Sorel...What Happened?  (Read 59102 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Sorel...What Happened?
« Reply #60 on: Apr 08, 2010, 05:10 PM »
I can't believe Kamik boots have not been mentioned.  They are made in Quebec.

This is what I wear. They are rated to -100*F

http://kamik.com/GenfootWeb/servlet/webProductDisplay.webProductDisplaySrv?currentMode=DETAIL&curCatalog=2009&curSeason=WINTER2009&curRow=102
then add in discount   lol   good for summer wear! lol     
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:42 AM »
baffin apex is rated down to -148 degrees
da splake chaser

Offline GotScout

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorel...What Happened? *I'LL TELL YOU* !!!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:12 PM »
Okay... so as many have mentioned... the company is no longer, only the name remains.

Fast history... Sorel was made by the KAUFMAN RUBBER COMPANY... so they knew RUBBER.
All the current failings of the Chinese versions... are in fact the RUBBER.  (Also the CARIBOU is no longer from REINDEER... it is cow!)

So moving on... you **CAN** still get GREAT Sorels... but you buy them USED.   Search Ebay and search "Kaufman Sorel Boot"... then start surfing your size.
To spot the REAL ones... Canadian... Look for the "K" on the side of the boot, the K in the leaf on the sole bottom, and the "Kaufman" name on the heel.
If it says "WATERPROOF" on the heel, those are the fakes.

Also look at the inside label on the liner... "made in canada" in french... = real.  Soles *can be* "made in USA"... as some were VIBRAM soles, rather than the Kaufman soles.

So... that is the trick!

NOW... keeping them good.  First, pull the liners out, trace to base, and cut a thick felt or metallic mylar insulation base pad.  Lay that inside the boot first.
Then with liners out... warm the boot and rub SNOWSEAL  into the boots... use a hairdryer to warm and open the leather pores to suck in the SnowSeal.  Now the leather is both conditioned to last another 20+ years, and waterproofed!!!

See these vids:  (the first is me)

And see the "0.38" mark of this vid.... this is the classic Chinese fake!: 
&t=52s

Drop me a note if you want more tips!

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sorel...What Happened? *I'LL TELL YOU* !!!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 24, 2017, 06:43 AM »
Thanks!!
Okay... so as many have mentioned... the company is no longer, only the name remains.

Fast history... Sorel was made by the KAUFMAN RUBBER COMPANY... so they knew RUBBER.
All the current failings of the Chinese versions... are in fact the RUBBER.  (Also the CARIBOU is no longer from REINDEER... it is cow!)

So moving on... you **CAN** still get GREAT Sorels... but you buy them USED.   Search Ebay and search "Kaufman Sorel Boot"... then start surfing your size.
To spot the REAL ones... Canadian... Look for the "K" on the side of the boot, the K in the leaf on the sole bottom, and the "Kaufman" name on the heel.
If it says "WATERPROOF" on the heel, those are the fakes.

Also look at the inside label on the liner... "made in canada" in french... = real.  Soles *can be* "made in USA"... as some were VIBRAM soles, rather than the Kaufman soles.

So... that is the trick!

NOW... keeping them good.  First, pull the liners out, trace to base, and cut a thick felt or metallic mylar insulation base pad.  Lay that inside the boot first.
Then with liners out... warm the boot and rub SNOWSEAL  into the boots... use a hairdryer to warm and open the leather pores to suck in the SnowSeal.  Now the leather is both conditioned to last another 20+ years, and waterproofed!!!

See these vids:  (the first is me)

And see the "0.38" mark of this vid.... this is the classic Chinese fake!: 
&t=52s

Drop me a note if you want more tips!

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:24 PM »
  Well, instead of just hammering Sorel, what about LaCrossse? As a certified cheesehead, you can imagine my dismay when I went to replace my American made Icemans (probably 12 or more yrs old) with a new pr. of Ice Kings, and turned them over to see made in China on the soles. Then I looked at the Sorels and thought, what the heck, rather feed Canucks... and there it was again....
  If it was something that could have waited, I'd have found an American outfit that sold pacs, but it was an urgent thing, next time, the money stays home.

If you're looking for made in USA packs that are good quality check out Schnee's, they're not cheap but they're made in USA and are rebuildable.  I bought a pair of them about 15 years ago and they're the best pack boot I've ever owned and no more cold feet.

https://schnees.com/schnees-boots/

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Thats what happens with globalization. Just think of the money these companies make now paying some kid 50 cents to $2 a day to make who knows how many pairs of hundred dolar boots. You aren't feeding the workers, most of them can't even afford food with what they make.

I hear you but you can't completely blame a company for doing it. Once a competitor does it it's hard to compete with them. Pretty soon they are all doing it to stay competitive.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:08 PM »
I've been wearing the same pair of Sorels since 1984 and i haven't got plans to get new boots.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #67 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:23 PM »
I still have a pair of my sorel glaciers and they are working great with about 15 years of service. they don't get worked hard in Pa but except for being heavy they do a great job

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:52 AM »
I have a pair of Sorels that I bought in 1997. Over the years, I have replaced the felt liner. But over the years, my feet have grown. When I bought them I wore a size 9 street shoe, so I bought a size 10. To make a long story short, my feet measure size 10 and I wear a size 10.5 shoe. Because of the generous toe, I can still wear my Sorels, but not with a heavy sock. I have worn them on the ice with a pair of mid weight Moreno wool socks and toe warmers, but they are not ideal. So, I need to look for new boots. A local store carries Mucks, so I will look at them.

Offline jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Also had a pair of sorels for many years and really liked them . Last year bought a pair for the wife and the stitching came apart definitely not the same anymore

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I can't believe Kamik boots have not been mentioned.  They are made in Quebec.

This is what I wear. They are rated to -100*F

http://kamik.com/GenfootWeb/servlet/webProductDisplay.webProductDisplaySrv?currentMode=DETAIL&curCatalog=2009&curSeason=WINTER2009&curRow=102

I checked out their website and couldn't find a temperature rating for any of their boots.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Sorel Glacier XT rated for -100.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Sorel Glacier XT rated for -100.

What does "rated for -100" mean? 

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Means it's good for 100 degrees below zero. But probably only good for 1/2 that in all actuality.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:47 AM »
So even at -50 below does the rating mean I can stand outside at -50 and my feet stay warm, even if the rest of me freezes solid??

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #75 on: Dec 06, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Is this some kind of record for the oldest, yet still active thread?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.