New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093620 times)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
got out today in sullivan and caught a handful of nice crappie from 11-13 inches, fish were pretty finicky

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
Was that 4” of ice on Upton over the deeper water or just in the shallow areas closer to where the public gets on?

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
got out today in sullivan and caught a handful of nice crappie from 11-13 inches, fish were pretty finicky

(Image removed from quote.)

nice fish.you sure are long way from home

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice fish.you sure are long way from home

ice fishing up there is a lot better than long island, plus the ice on the island is still sketch

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
To all thinking of fishing this weekend who would be traveling from Westchester county, NYC and Long Island or Northern NJ. I suggest staying home and visit this thread during the coming week for reports. Here is a Hyper link to Spectrum (Time Warner Cable ) website once on the website click on New York and the Hudson Valley. Latest map has part of Sullivan and Ulster counties receiving 12-18 inches of snow from Sat-Sun. storm, Orange and Dutchess counties 6-12 inches also will be periods of sleet and rain. Currently coating of snow on vehicles and ground here in New Windsor may see 2 inches by time this storm ends later today. Saturday's storm is perdicted to start in the afternoon and last until Sunday afternoon /eve. Winter Storm warning from 12 PM sat to 8 PM sun. for most of Orange county.

www.spectrumlocalnews. com  also can try weather underground type in town closest to lake in the search bar  www.weatherunderground.com

NY Basser congratulations on the crappies. :clap:

Kbaez look for my post on page 348 for Jan. !5 contains info. and phone number for ranger station of Winding hills park Town of Montgomery (Orange county) lake in park was closed when I visited depending on snow it may be open for fishing next week end.

Steve

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
To all thinking of fishing this weekend who would be traveling from Westchester county, NYC and Long Island or Northern NJ. I suggest staying home and visit this thread during the coming week for reports. Here is a Hyper link to Spectrum (Time Warner Cable ) website once on the website click on New York and the Hudson Valley. Latest map has part of Sullivan and Ulster counties receiving 12-18 inches of snow from Sat-Sun. storm, Orange and Dutchess counties 6-12 inches also will be periods of sleet and rain. Currently coating of snow on vehicles and ground here in New Windsor may see 2 inches by time this storm ends later today. Saturday's storm is perdicted to start in the afternoon and last until Sunday afternoon /eve. Winter Storm warning from 12 PM sat to 8 PM sun. for most of Orange county.

www.spectrumlocalnews. com  also can try weather underground type in town closest to lake in the search bar  www.weatherunderground.com

In my experience , right before a big storm is the best fishing .  Saturday should be a great day . 

NY Basser congratulations on the crappies. :clap:

Kbaez look for my post on page 348 for Jan. !5 contains info. and phone number for ranger station of Winding hills park Town of Montgomery (Orange county) lake in park was closed when I visited depending on snow it may be open for fishing next week end.

Steve

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Stay home the fishin is good 😂😂 just before the storm.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Looks like rain on Wednesday... will knock down any snow we get but will also create a slushy mess

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict

Nice Basser. Was out last night very picky eaters.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like rain on Wednesday... will knock down any snow we get but will also create a slushy mess
Maybe the wind this weekend will blow some of the snow off ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Minus 5 Sunday night and minus 3 Monday night and that my friends is ice making temps! It's about time already.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Westchester and Putnam waters locking up. Plenty of hard water this weekend. No need to travel

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
Westchester and Putnam waters locking up. Plenty of hard water this weekend. No need to travel
which one? i called the crossriver bait shop and He told me maybe 2" of ice

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been by middle branch Reservoir and check ice conditions ? I live in ct about an hour and a half away so its not easy for me to check.
Go big or go home

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning to all planing a fishing trip before the snow arrives this afternoon keep a watch on the weather storm may arrive sooner then forecasted and good fishing to all of you. May the coming snow be the powdery type Monday and Tuesday are forecast to be windy days so if snow is powdery a good amount might get blow from ice surfaces. May everyone get through the storm with no or only minor problems.

I have been checking Facebook pages for both Swan Lake FD and Mahogany Ridge hunting-fishing club no information posted yet on either group's pages about this years ice fishing contests. Did some internet searching and found name and hopefully home phone number for the chief of Swan Lake FD will call later today and see what happens called the fire station yesterday afternoon no one answered the phone and apparently no answering machine or it is turned off.

Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
+2 largemouth, North-South Lake.

Offline tryin to catch Champy

• IceShanty Rookie
I drove around sodom this afternoon and several people fishing the north side.  One group gathered together so guessing plenty of ice.  After the cold tomorrow night everything should be locked up. They keep reducing the amount of snow we are expecting here in Putnam.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Superior today. Had a lot of action on the Marcum but could not get the darn things to bite. I iced one sunny all day. Caught a few perch and one decent crappie on tip ups. Was fishing with kbaez, his crew caught a decent amount of perch and bluegill.
Kbaez also iced a really nice catfish!
Tried everything they did but No luck. Okay I’m done sulking, I’ll be out tomorrow to try again weather permitting.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Had some awesome fishing today right before the storm hit. Iced a bunch of slab crappie with a couple over 12" and the majority of them around 11-12". Had some short flurries, but the fish were finicky and biting light for the most part.

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
Had some awesome fishing today right before the storm hit. Iced a bunch of slab crappie with a couple over 12" and the majority of them around 11-12". Had some short flurries, but the fish were finicky and biting light for the most part.

dont" tell me ,that it was on long island

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Superior today. Had a lot of action on the Marcum but could not get the darn things to bite. I iced one sunny all day. Caught a few perch and one decent crappie on tip ups. Was fishing with kbaez, his crew caught a decent amount of perch and bluegill.
Kbaez also iced a really nice catfish!
Tried everything they did but No luck. Okay I’m done sulking, I’ll be out tomorrow to try again weather permitting.
lots of action steady bite threw out the day came home with a mixed bag of 36 fish off superior photo taken mid day about 115 or so

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice fish Guys! Had my 7year old  son out at sunrise. Lasted till about 11. Had a nice smally and some decent gills On Lake Huntington.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Went out onto Upton, and my friend caught a nice trout and a decent crappie off of tipups.  There was 4 inches of ice, and the north end was still open, and filled with geese
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smoked goose breast. :o

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Some of my friends are really into duck and goose hunting, and they got very excited when a flock flew overhead.   I tried it once, didnt care for it. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good day hope everyone is weathering the storm alright. Congratulations to all of you who got a fishing trip in before storm arrived nice catches of fish. NYBasser I'm also curious did you fish on Long Island or get up early and drive to the catskills or other area upstate of your home.Kb thank you for the report on Upton Lake. I saw your post in the Bait Shop map thread sorry to hear Shot Shop is out of business. Besides Dutchess/Northern archery in red Hook what other bait-tackle shop still exist in Dutchess county.

Light snow still falling here in New Windsor and winds have increased their speed. Be careful if traveling today.
Steve

Offline Piehlerfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
So does  anyone have the details on amount of ice in Putnam county reservoirs and lakes  middle branch , west , east branch , Gilead , gleneida, oscawana?

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
There's another bait shop in Red Hook called Hook, Line & Sinker. Unfortunately, nothing that I know of in the central or southern parts of the county that are open in winter.

Offline Outlaw fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
 West Branch had about 4 inches yesterday, I check Gilead on Friday and it was very sketchy. I drilled two holes close to the boat ramp and measured about 3 inches. 

Offline Hey Ice Hole!

• IceShanty Rookie
Shot Shop was my go to for live bait. I went to Hook Line & Sinker (845-758-6920) last week they are open 7 days a week  a family run business.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.