Author Topic: Helix 5, anyone use it on the ice?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Helix 5, anyone use it on the ice?
« on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:16 AM »
Im thinking of getting the ice ducer for it.   I use it on my kayak, and would like to use it on the ice.   Is it worth it?    How is the target separation and interference rejection?

What has been your experience with it.

Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Helix 5, anyone use it on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 05:04 PM »
There are lots of guys using helix units on the ice. They work great. Awesome target ID. No interference rejection, but it's pretty easy to see what's going on down there through the few vertical lines caused by interference on a graph. If you use the search bar you can find hundreds of opinions, reviews and discussions about using a helix with an ice transducer.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:17 AM »
What dunn said!
Keep it sfe! JDL

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Make sure your software is updated in your HELIX for any bug fixes. I will add Gen1 non CHIRP models have OK target separation, but Gen2 models with CHIRP have really nice target separation.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2019, 09:46 AM »
My Helix g2 chirp gps has interference rejection.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2019, 09:49 AM »
 My older helix 5 , and my very old 345c has  interference settings , they both work just fine on the ice

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I'm happy with my Helix 5 on the ice. So much that I have retired my Ice 55.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Works well for me.
Good things come to those who bait.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:13 AM »
Now there is a Helix Ice 5 G2 chirp with shuttle. So tempting...
I got that unit last year. works great nice unit! Bought a TM transducer and use in my jon boat works great in open water also!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:42 AM »
I'm also happy with it.  Can't recommend enough getting the Ice Transducer - it really made a huge difference for me.  Only thing is, for mine, I have to change a setting on the head unit as the ice ducer doesn't supply temperature information.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2019, 06:05 AM »
I'm also happy with it.  Can't recommend enough getting the Ice Transducer - it really made a huge difference for me.  Only thing is, for mine, I have to change a setting on the head unit as the ice ducer doesn't supply temperature information.
Don't know if you misunderstood The unit is the Helix ice so it came with the ice transducer. I bought the open water transducer to use on my boat. I am guessing though you were speaking to the folks who want to use their open water units on the ice, and yes they should get the transducer for the ice application. The only thing I don"t care for about the unit is the transducer float, it sets side ways in the hole.I bought a transducer arm that fits on the shuttle so now not an issue.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Don't know if you misunderstood The unit is the Helix ice so it came with the ice transducer. I bought the open water transducer to use on my boat. I am guessing though you were speaking to the folks who want to use their open water units on the ice, and yes they should get the transducer for the ice application. The only thing I don"t care for about the unit is the transducer float, it sets side ways in the hole.I bought a transducer arm that fits on the shuttle so now not an issue.
Keep it safe! JDL

Make sure you ditch the little clip system on top of the 'ducer itself, that thing is useless. Without it, it will sit fairly level in the hole with just the float.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Now there is a Helix Ice 5 G2 chirp with shuttle. So tempting...
I mounted mine on a Blue Genz box - works great and a quick unplug and plug in the boat in the spring.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Make sure you ditch the little clip system on top of the 'ducer itself, that thing is useless. Without it, it will sit fairly level in the hole with just the float.
Wish this conversation happened before I spent cash on the arm thing!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Wish this conversation happened before I spent cash on the arm thing!
Keep it safe! JDL

The arm is a nice system too, but yeah, that little clip on top of the ducer crystal does nothing but screw up how it sits in the water. I don't think its needed for strength either, I've taken it off both my `Birds ducers long ago.

LukequabbinMA

« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2019, 07:00 AM »
mounted mine on a plastic amo case i love my helix 5 gps g2 i jig lake trout works amazing

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:22 AM »
mounted mine on a plastic amo case i love my helix 5 gps g2 i jig lake trout works amazing

What do they say about great minds and all that? I recently built this 60ah battery box with Amped Outdoors LifePo4 batteries:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:35 AM »
↑↑↑ Nice in theory, but too delicate of a setup for me.
I need a protective, weighted down shuttle.

It weighs 20 lbs. without the Helix or Auqa-Vu. It's got three, 20ah LifePo4 battery packs in it. But I don't typically use it like that, the Helix and Aqua-Vu are on Ram Clamps on my flip hoops:

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Reading about helix 7 on their website, and they offer 9 different models, DI, SI, DI and SI on and on and on. The all season model is just a basic fishfinder with gps. Would it be better to get a head unit with DI, or SI, then buy the ice ducer, and have a better unit than the all season model. I don't need a bag as I'll mount the unit on the dash of my snowmobile for GPS, then take it in the shanty and use the fishfinder. Thanks

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Reading about helix 7 on their website, and they offer 9 different models, DI, SI, DI and SI on and on and on. The all season model is just a basic fishfinder with gps. Would it be better to get a head unit with DI, or SI, then buy the ice ducer, and have a better unit than the all season model. I don't need a bag as I'll mount the unit on the dash of my snowmobile for GPS, then take it in the shanty and use the fishfinder. Thanks

I agree.  I have the DI/SI GPS Helix 5, and added on the ice ducer.  It's an awesome all-season machine now.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Uncle Al, that depends on if you plan to use it in the summer on another boat or kayak. SI or DI won't work sitting still, you must be moving. If you plan to use it on the open water, then it depends on how you fish whether you get a DI or and SI model. Also depends on your wallet. I didn't plan to use it at all on the open water I have other units for my boat already, so I got the basic GPS version and ordered the ice transducer. The ice bundles were all sold out when I ordered mine; that's why I got the open water unit and separate ice 'ducer. If we ever get some good ice I'll finally get a chance to use it in earnest!
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2020, 06:41 AM »
Uncle Al, that depends on if you plan to use it in the summer on another boat or kayak. SI or DI won't work sitting still, you must be moving. If you plan to use it on the open water, then it depends on how you fish whether you get a DI or and SI model. Also depends on your wallet. I didn't plan to use it at all on the open water I have other units for my boat already, so I got the basic GPS version and ordered the ice transducer. The ice bundles were all sold out when I ordered mine; that's why I got the open water unit and separate ice 'ducer. If we ever get some good ice I'll finally get a chance to use it in earnest!
That is my plan. To use it on the boat and the ice. My boat FF took a sh*t last summer and I sold my F18 vex so I need something, right now I'm shopping.

Offline Dtinsf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2020, 06:51 AM »
I had a question on this also. I have a helix 5 GPS, di, in my boat. I don't think it's a chirp model, I'm guessing it's a gen 1 model. Can I buy an ice transducer and use the helix5 or is the newer ice transducers not compatible since it's not a chirp model?

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:09 AM »
There are separate transducers for each model. I have a helix 5 di gps g2 on my boat. I have a helix 5 g2 for ice. I use a handheld gps for ice cauuse I find it easier to dril holes looking at that instead of pulling out the helix and walking around with it. The iceducer does not work on both. Both are chirp models. I needed 2 fiahfi ders on my boat so just bought another one so I can run 1 on sonar and 1 on gps while I'm trolling on the boat. I love it on ice or open water. Don't waste money on di or si unless your sure you will use it.

Offline Dtinsf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:57 AM »
Thanks skinny, that's good advice.  When I'm in my boat I normally split screens between GPS and di. I really like the di option.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Thanks skinny, that's good advice.  When I'm in my boat I normally split screens between GPS and di. I really like the di option.

what exactly does DI do for your fish finder, my old FF was grey scale, didn't have all the bells and whistles, only gps. thx

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Where is the setting for rejection on a helix 5 gn1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.