The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How many years have you been ice fishing?  (Read 8839 times)

Offline percheye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
How many years have you been ice fishing?
« on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Ran this idea a few years back and hand some great replies so I think its time  to do it again. Just list your age and number of years you have been on the hard water. Any short comments are welcome. I would like to start it off .... age 67, have been ice fishing since I was 8 yrs old and have only missed three seasons. Looking forward for another hard water season.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How many years have you been ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:08 AM »
66 been on hard water since I was 7= 59 years. Long time. First every experience, P.I Erie. I was pulling up smelt 2 or 3 at a time right under the ice. We went to deeper water and perch fished. We used some ridiculous equipment. Home made wooden rods with two dowel rods about 3 high to wrap black braided line around and use old hacksaw blades  at the end that bounced when the perch hit, big 1-2  oz sinkers on the bottom.lol  I don't know how we managed to catch 1-2 lb perch but we caught a pile.lol

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Great idea with this ;-)
Well i am 32 , been fishing since 9 for whichever fish will bite ;-)Since then my main fish was carp for sport .
Ice fished few times here and there with friends but as serious angler for ice fishing ,that happened 3 years ago when my friend yura (member here) got me into it little more , bought rods , reels ,tipups , flasher , striker ice suit etc . Now? Cant wait for summer to be over and wishing to be on ice every day ;-) If not for wife i would already move to northern state to have ice season as long as possible !!
For now live in Kunkletown PA and fish local lakes so whoever need companion ill be happy to join ;-)

Offline Pullinslabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 12:16 PM »
32 years old, been fishing since 2 or 3 and ice fishing since 6. I still remember my first time, my dad took me to Chautauqua lake. I had the flu but refused to stay home. I was so sick I crapped my pants and my dad used my underwear to wipe my ass. We tossed them in the sled and continued fishing till we had our limit. One of the greatest memories I have and I've been addicted ever since. Last year I took my 2 and 4 year olds, my 2 year old put his entire leg down the first hole before I even got the second one drilled but he refused to leave. Must take after his daddy lol

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2018, 12:51 PM »
75 and was ice fishing with my father when about 9 or ten. I remember getting into his 1954 Nash Ambassador to warm my feet. Broomsticks with a sharpened nail in the end and a couple of nails to wind the line onto. Put the braided line through an eye screw, a couple splitshot, a bobber and a plain hook with a minnow.
Several pairs of socks inside of bread sacks and four buckle over shoes. I think I spent most of the time stamping my feet trying to keep them warm.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I'm 33.  Been fishing my whole life, but only on the ice for two years!

This year I'm looking forward to trying some rod holder tip ups!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:09 PM »
50 years or longer.my dad had me on the ice at 6yo.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Long before augers, electronics and portable shanties...about 50 years I'd guess.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:56 PM »
I'm 71 and have been ice fishing for almost all of them.  Missed a few years for various reasons but have always looked forward to it and missed it when I couldn't go. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:01 PM »
35 years old here.  Been fishing since I was a young lad but started to hit the hardwater in 2006 after college.   I'm hooked.  Nearly 12 years later I'm working on my five year old becoming an ice nut.   
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Chute82

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:03 PM »
44 yr young and started ice fishing around 4 yrs old... My father  would take us ice fishing at the walnut basin.  Sitting in his home made ice hut waiting  for a coho to hit.  After hr or so my mother would pick me up and drop one of my other brothers off to take my spot.  Living so close did give my father an advantage of keeping my brothers and I from getting bored.  I now own that ice hut so many great memories

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Been ice fishing on/off as safe conditions permitted for the last 15 years. Been taking my daughter for 4 years now and she loves it. Many trips we don’t have tons of luck but it’s still an awesome adventure every time. Got electronics late last season and started getting a bit more success. Hopefully our luck keeps trending up for this year....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:25 PM »
I'm 46 years old and have been ice fishing for 22 years.  I decided to give it a try after seeing Grumpy Old Men and thinking it looked fun, well needless to say I not only got hooked but turned into a total ice fishing addict and met one of my best friends through this site and ice fishing. 

Offline johnhockey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:37 PM »
20 and have been going for 6 years. Absolutely got hooked, minimum 20 trips per season and increasing. First two years were a brutal struggle but once you get it, you get it. Favorite type of fishing now.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I'm 57 and a newb on the ice. Only been fishing it for 5 years or so.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:28 PM »
I'm 46 years old and have been ice fishing for 22 years.  I decided to give it a try after seeing Grumpy Old Men and thinking it looked fun, well needless to say I not only got hooked but turned into a total ice fishing addict and met one of my best friends through this site and ice fishing.

Ya Chris,you and icewagon are very close

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:44 PM »
I'm 35, probably will be 36 when we actually get on the ice this year. I've been fishing as long as I can remember but this will only be my 3rd season on the ice. Wish I would have started a long time ago!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:48 PM »
I cant remember exactly when I started ice fishing. My dad never took me.  I went once in a while before my son was born. He will be 29 this jan. So I would say about 30 to 35 years. is close !

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:57 PM »

A bit younger here but I also met one of my best friends on here. Also a ton of other great people as well. As far as how long, I want to say 10-12 years now.
Just add water.

Offline Drew754

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:01 PM »
46 yo., this will make my 2nd full season. 2 years ago I told my kids that I wanted to catch a fish through the ice for a bucket list kind of thing, my daughter who was 11 at the time said “i’ll Go with you” , so I started under $100. Cheap auger, 2 cheap rods, ice picks, cleats, and some jigs and off we went. She caught a dink perch before I had the 2nd hole drilled. I think I got out 4 times before the ice was gone. That was the longest summer waiting for last year and good ice. In the mean time I joined here, read and learned plenty. Last year I bought a marcum and destroyed the fish. I am so hooked, it’s my absolute favorite way to fish and I look forward to many many more years on the ice. Heck, I’m even saving vacation days for the dead of winter and no one understands this, but I know you all do. Tight lines and safe fishing to you all.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:03 PM »
For me I 1st tried  at age 16.....51 years for me got my 1st auger  from land of lakes sport shop for 10 bucks....it is 51 years old I use it from time to time...was on the water today doing some late bass fishing water temp was 41....lake will cap with some cold temps .....fast I believe....tight lines be safe....
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:19 PM »
started fishing when I was10.........12 when I started ice fishing course all I did was run when I saw the flag up .............so around 50 years for me now.........only thing that changed is I don't chase any flags threw all my tip ups away ... just jig the last 7 years

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Im 44 and have been icefishing every year for 30 years.i remember being a kid and cutting a hole with axe before pops got us a 8” mora.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:33 PM »
55 years old . Went ice fishing a couple time in my teenage years with school buddies , but no one was seriously into it . Bought a Ureka ice tent in the 90s and actually did fairly well for a few years . Fast forward 20 years and my 12 year old daughter asked if I could take her ice fishing like the stories I told her about . Well that was last year . With the help of many members here , I've been brought up to speed with today's technology . I've since updated most of my equipment and can't wait to get back on the ice with my daughter in tow . Now , if I could just locate hungry fish ! ! !

I'd like to also give a round of applause to all the fathers taking the time and patience to teach their children this fine sport . :clap: :icefish:

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:35 PM »
I'm 38 years old and my dad and grandpa had me out since I was about 5. So an honest 33 years for me.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:23 PM »
42 years old here.  didn't do a lot of ice fishing as a kid but did get out.  didn't have an auger so only went when ice was not very thick and used an old ax to make a hole.  older i got more i went and have become a total ice head.  have 3 kids and have had them out on ice since they were old enough to walk.  have lots more equipment now and love it when someone new goes with us and the boys show others how to read the flasher.  the 10 year old is a total iceaholic too. 

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2018, 11:12 PM »
I'm 37 been ice fishing hard for 3 or 4 years but started when I was 3 or 4 with my great grandfather, probably fished with him till I was around 7 then got away from icefishing for alot of years. Have always fished just didnt realize how much I enjoyed being out on the ice.

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Mid 40s and I have been doing this for about 10 years. I got into it through a friend a few years after I moved to the area.

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Age 74. Been ice fishing for 30 or so years, off and on (some health issues put the stops to fishing a couple of times). Bought my first gas ice auger (Jiffy 76) at Sugarman's during their going out of business sale. Used to fish pretty much all tip ups until about four years ago when I fished with a friend who had a Vex 28. Never had so much fun.....went out and got one for the next year and have pretty much jigged ever since. Am no expert by any means, still learning.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:31 AM »
I am 68 and have been ice fishing for 45 years or so. I still have the 2 poles I made from broken rod tips, a broom handle and bent nails to wind up the line.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.