The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How many years have you been ice fishing?  (Read 8839 times)

Offline 59tony

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How many years have you been ice fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Im 43 n up till I was 26 I thought it was stupid...then I went out a few times with a buddy n realized I was stupid!!!  By 27 I was a fully geared up addict....let me hit the lotto n I’d be on tour hittin every hot ice fishin spot I could find in North America n beyond.....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Just turned 64. Made my first ice fishing trip with dad when I was about 4. Stepped into an open hole and went in to my waist. Dad pulled me out and the excursion was over really before we even got started. Then we moved to where there weren't ice fishing opportunities and I never hit the ice again until I was 26. Didn't wanna go, said it was for crazy people. I was right so the past 38 years has validated my craziness.  :cookoo:  :icefish:

@59tony: that's funny. Takes me too long to type or my "crazy guy" at 26 would have been first. Now I really don't feel too bad.  ;)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:37 PM »
well i'm 54 and as my name says im from louisana moved to western pa in 93 got my exbrother in law to take my ice fishing and boy was that a treat sooo cool been hooked ever since got all the toys electronics heaters  underwater cameras one man and two man shanties tight lines everyone...and be safe early ice

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:54 PM »
About 60 years?
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2018, 01:01 PM »
About 60 years?
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2018, 01:30 PM »
78 been ice fishing since I was 8 so 70 years and intend to go as long as the good LORD will let me. :o :o

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2018, 01:48 PM »
I only started last year, still have a lot to learn. A bit of an embarrassing story - The first hole I ever drilled became the grave for my brand new hand auger because I didn’t attach it to the handle properly and the bolt snapped, dropping the bottom half of it into the pond.
- Kevin V

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Just an observation , but I'm noticing that a majority of us are on the upper side of 50 . Ya know we could have some fun with this as to guessing WHY . My guess ? The majority of younger bucks are out chasing .......... something we don't often see out on the hard water . Any other guesses ?

Offline 59tony

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:30 PM »
4x4 That could be....but we are talkin bout millennials here......my guess is the fact that ice fishing takes a lot of work n preparation to 1-Find the fish and  2- Get em to the freezer.....the young bucks that love the adventure like us are few n far between...

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:36 PM »
You guys both have valid points . It's a shame the kids don't get outdoors more often . But , I don't want to highjack the thread . Just making an observation .

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:45 PM »
The only instant gratification in ice fishing is in just hitting the ice. That ain't enough to hold most folks attention for more than a millisecond, "Well that what great! What's next?"

Hope springs eternal for the future. My son (34) and I are planning some ice trips for his kids ( 2 boys 5 and 6, 1 girl 3) and my daughters 2 boys (9 and 11). Did we put a gun to their heads? Nope... They all have begged (literally) to come with us. We'll find the right time and place so there's plenty of action, make sure there's fun and FOOD (most important).

Sorry I added to the off topic. Carry on all!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Well im 69 and I started in my teens so 50 plus years ive been at it except for 4 in service.I have to admit its a little tougher now don't hole hop much and like sitting in shanty nice and cozy!!And the drags are getting tougher also BUT I still love it

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:02 AM »
Well im 69 and I started in my teens so 50 plus years ive been at it except for 4 in service.I have to admit its a little tougher now don't hole hop much and like sitting in shanty nice and cozy!!And the drags are getting tougher also BUT I still love it

Thanks Marine...a former soldier here @63

Kinda the same for me. Lightened the load considerably this season...and made me a Smitty Sled. Makes the drag not near the drag it used to be. May want to look into one yourself. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:23 AM »
I'm 66 started icefishing when I was18 so it's 48 years ago. New equipment has made it much easier now with better augers, more sensitive rods and electronics. Looking forward to a good season this year. Everyone be safe out there.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Guess I'm part of the younger crowd at 33, and I've' only been at it for 6 or 7 years.  Wish I could get out more, but my wife and very young children don't share my same enthusiasm for the ice...... yet.  Couple more years before the kiddo's come out with me, and I have a new found reason to hit the ice.

Offline fishey56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Started when I was a senior in high school so 45 years many stories.

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2018, 10:49 AM »
ive been ice fishing on and off for 30 years. but big time the last 15 years or so

Offline johnhockey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Just an observation , but I'm noticing that a majority of us are on the upper side of 50 . Ya know we could have some fun with this as to guessing WHY . My guess ? The majority of younger bucks are out chasing .......... something we don't often see out on the hard water . Any other guesses ?
:tipup: I'm here! Just recently turned 20, not many of us but the ones that are here are hardcore. From new jersey but me and my buddies drive hours into PA and NY to get on some ice.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Well, it’s up to us to introduce our kids and grandkids to the sport. Otherwise, they’ll never even think to try it. My daughter is 11 and she asks ME to go! I am truly blessed you know.  But I have all the gear so it can be enjoyable. We don’t enjoy huge success but just getting her out on the lake is a success for me. Brats, Pringle’s and snacks help too. Along with the sled ride I take her on at the lake. If fish aren’t biting, gotta make it fun and the youngins will be asking to go on another adventure with you on the lake next time.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Well, it’s up to us to introduce our kids and grandkids to the sport. Otherwise, they’ll never even think to try it. My daughter is 11 and she asks ME to go! I am truly blessed you know.  But I have all the gear so it can be enjoyable. We don’t enjoy huge success but just getting her out on the lake is a success for me. Brats, Pringle’s and snacks help too. Along with the sled ride I take her on at the lake. If fish aren’t biting, gotta make it fun and the youngins will be asking to go on another adventure with you on the lake next time.

Well said and done.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:25 PM »

Exactly the same boat I'm in , but my daughter is 13 . I try to make it as comfortable and enjoyable as possible .

Offline augar man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:05 PM »
This year will be 50 years for me.  Remember using a spud to cut holes, a coffee can lid with holes drilled in it mounted on a stick as my strainer and an oak stick with nails in it to wind my line...LOL!!! ;D

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:08 PM »
:tipup: I'm here! Just recently turned 20, not many of us but the ones that are here are hardcore. From new jersey but me and my buddies drive hours into PA and NY to get on some ice.
Hang in there!!! You have a lot of fish ahead of you!!!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:22 PM »
Stated ice fishing forty plus years ago and I am 65. Used to have a spoon auger, too. Back then Marsh Creek was a legendary perch fishery and Ontelaunee  the same for Crappie. Miss those days!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Ya Chris,you and icewagon are very close

In the words of Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men, pull your lip over your head and swallow.  LOL  I was talking about you Mr. Chicken and Stars.   ;D

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:59 PM »
75 started when I was probably 10. Put downhill Skis on a wooden Toboggan as outriggers so it would not tip over getting on the ice back in the 60's. Could not count the number of sleds we made.  One sled we made I used 12 foot long steel runners with a 3 foot by 8 foot plywood deck. Put a big Sail on it and we were going to sail out on Duck Valley Reservoir. Got on the ice, piled gear on and raised the Sail. Watched it disappear across the lake, an spent the rest of the day picking up gear. First auger was a Spoon in the late 60's or 70's. First Flasher was the old green box with the Ducer on a broom handle for angle. New guys really have it good now.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:11 PM »
since before the first ice age.

Offline ia bhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Counting this year ??? ………. uhhh one , just retired and finally getting to do things at 66 that were unavailable to me during my 48 working years

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Nov 28, 2018, 03:08 AM »
I AM NOW 59 YEARS OLD FIRST TIME OUT WAS WITH MY GRANDFATHER AND HIS FISHING BUDDY  I WAS 7 THEN.IT WAS ON A PAID TROUT LAKE IN DELMONT PA. CALLED TOMERS .TALK ABOUT CRAZY I REMEMBER NO DRILL NO SPUD A HAND HELD HATCHET TO BREAK OPEN OLD HOLES AND HACK OPEN NEW ONES WOW.BELEIVE IT OR NOT THEY ACTUALLY CAUGHT FISH.THEY USED SPLEEN AND VELVETA CHEESE FOR BAIT ON REGULAR POLES AND HAND LINES ON PIECES OF BROOM STICK OVER THE HOLES WITH A LITTLE BOBBER ON THE LINE.LOOK AT WERE WE ARE NOW I OFTEN THINK WHAT HE WOULD SAY IF HE SEEN WERE I AM AT NOW WITH ALL THE NEW RIGS AND ELECTRONICS I USE NOW.   :tipup:

Offline iceslider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Been fishing hardwater for 53 years and still going strong.
Well I ain’t often been right but I never been wrong
Seldom turns out the way it does in the song

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.