Author Topic: maribou jigs for bluegills?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
maribou jigs for bluegills?
« on: Oct 26, 2004, 06:39 PM »
Somebody told me that maribou jigs work well for bluegills. What is your guys' input on this? I would like to try anything that might work after all.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: maribou jigs for bluegills?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:53 PM »
Does anybody know about any materials to tie maribous with?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2004, 12:52 PM »
I will try to give you some idea. I tie lots of marabou jigs for everything from stream trout & steelhead to bluegill & crappie. Most of the jigs I tie are 1/32 or 1/64 oz. Marabou is a cheap easy to tie material. They dye it in unlimited colors. On my bluegill jigs I add some rubber legs, a bit of flash and try to stick with 1/64oz. jig heads. Sometimes I just use a simple wool yarn body with a short marabou tail. Chartruse heads seem to work best for me. A trip to your local fly fishing store should help you get started with the basic tools and techniques. After all a jig is just a simple streamer tied on a lead head. With some experience the sky is the limit on patterns you can create.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2004, 09:27 PM »
Good advice! I tie flies as well, and after tying tiny dry flies, jigs are fun and easy. Usually, I get live bait jigs from Cabelas, and then customize them. Usually, pink or chart. heads, and a little Flashabou mixed with the Maribou. There are unlimited variations, including painting plain lead jigs. Last year I found some plain 1/32 oz. jigs in the bottom of my fly tying drawer.(one of them). Bought some flo pink paint at the art store; then coated over the paint with some clear/ pearl nail laquer. (don't steal the wifes, though) Pink with black worked on a variety of fish; gills, trout, and perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.