Author Topic: Frabill Recruit 1250  (Read 3117 times)

Offline basspilot

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill Recruit 1250
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Does anyone own or have seen/touch/crawled around the newer Frabill Recruit 1250. I’m looking to upgrade from a scout xl and and curious what the pros and cons are of this particular model. Thanks

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Frabill Recruit 1250
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:41 AM »
I have one and really like it for day trips just in case the wind and snow comes up.The side flip is what sold me on it. More than enough fishing space. Its not that tall but has plenty width for me for 2 poles and my finder. I'm 6' and 280lbs. Here's a few pics out on the ice and some LED lighting I put in it for dark time crappie fishing. I didnt like the seating in it so I got rid of the stock seat and put a low back director type fold up chair in it with the side table. It works much better and I still have room to put my small buddy heater in the tub next to the chair when needed which isnt often as the insulation is great on this tent

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Does anyone own or have seen/touch/crawled around the newer Frabill Recruit 1250. I’m looking to upgrade from a scout xl and and curious what the pros and cons are of this particular model. Thanks
I just picked up one this year.  It's my first flip-over coming from a hub-style (which is great, but waay overkill for one dude).  Assembly was pretty straightforward, though they give you more parts than they indicate on the parts list, so I ended up with bolts and washers left over ( :o ).  Also I had a piece of aluminum channel left over that isn't indicated anywhere on the instructions or parts list.  The shanty works fine without it so far!

I've used it a bunch of times and really like the space.  Enough to fish and not too much to heat.  I haven't bothered with the seat yet since a folding chair works just fine, is lighter, and takes up less space.  There isn't a mechanism to keep it half-flipped for a windbreak - it will stay by itself somewhat, but I think I'll put together a little rod to connect the corner braces with the u-pole to keep it up halfway.  I haven't used the extender poles much, they take too much effort to snap in and remove.  I'll probably take off some of the curved fitting so they don't need to snap so tightly to the u-poles.  The tension between the u-poles should be plenty to keep them in place.  I'd also like to add some tie-out points to use a couple of ice anchors for when I go off exploring a little bit and leave the shanty in place.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:58 AM »
I just picked up one this year.  It's my first flip-over coming from a hub-style (which is great, but waay overkill for one dude).  Assembly was pretty straightforward, though they give you more parts than they indicate on the parts list, so I ended up with bolts and washers left over ( :o ).  Also I had a piece of aluminum channel left over that isn't indicated anywhere on the instructions or parts list.  The shanty works fine without it so far!

I've used it a bunch of times and really like the space.  Enough to fish and not too much to heat.  I haven't bothered with the seat yet since a folding chair works just fine, is lighter, and takes up less space.  There isn't a mechanism to keep it half-flipped for a windbreak - it will stay by itself somewhat, but I think I'll put together a little rod to connect the corner braces with the u-pole to keep it up halfway.  I haven't used the extender poles much, they take too much effort to snap in and remove.  I'll probably take off some of the curved fitting so they don't need to snap so tightly to the u-poles.  The tension between the u-poles should be plenty to keep them in place.  I'd also like to add some tie-out points to use a couple of ice anchors for when I go off exploring a little bit and leave the shanty in place.

That aluminum channel may fit under the tubs front lip to add support for the seat ...as far as a wind break position on the older Frabill flips they had a piece of hardware that flipped so to lock the shelter hoop from flipping back..see item X on page 4

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/759686/Frabill-Commando-6115.html?page=4#manual

http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichosting/albums/userpics/22460/100_2502.JPG
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.