Author Topic: 100:1 amsoil in a new auger???  (Read 3321 times)

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
100:1 amsoil in a new auger???
« on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Hey guys I bought a new jiffy 10" auger last year and my question is have any of you used 100:1 ratios in your augers and how have they performed? Thanks for the input ;)

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 100:1 amsoil in a new auger???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Hey guys I bought a new jiffy 10" auger last year and my question is have any of you used 100:1 ratios in your augers and how have they performed? Thanks for the input ;)

It's an incredible product, switched all my mixed stuff over to it.  Bought a new chainsaw this summer and that's exactly how he gave it to me and said saw away.  You can always call Amsoil and speak to a live rep. for reassurance as well.  Good stuff, better performance from everything I own. 

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:30 PM »
yeap ran it my jiffy last year and got hooked also.
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Break the Auger in with a gallon of dino 2-cycle oil mixed to 24:1. After the break-in switch to Amsoil Sabre 100:1. I've been mixing it at 70:1 or so. The reason behind using dino for breakin is to seat the rings quickly. A full syn is super slippery and the rings can take a long time to seat.

timberdoodle

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I'll be running it in my jiffy this year. I've been running 100:1 saber in my outboard for two years now, works great. Low smoke and actually seems like it has more power and runs smoother. I've switched over to almost all Amsoil in my toys, chainsaw, weedwacker, outboard, and my ranger, great stuff.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:45 PM »
why amsoil ??
Hard Ice

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2008, 05:15 PM »
why amsoil ??

I can get Amsoil at a local retailer and it works great and has proven itself to me. Have been using both Sabre Outboard and Sabre (Aircooled) for a while and it burns very clean. Opti2 also seems to be very popular also. Full synthetic is the key as many different companies use almost identical basestocks in their synth oil.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Always break in the motor with a few tanks of regular two stroke pre mix and add a little extra oil to the mix . This will hone the rings and piston jug properly . later on you can go with the synthetic oil . Personally I love the smell of regular two stoke smoke .

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:53 PM »
After using it in my Jiffy 10" auger last season I switched all my mixed stuff over to  Amsoil. Good stuff and better performance, even from my 22 year old John Deere push mower.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:55 PM »
I have been running Amsoil from day 1 one augur is 27 yrs. old the other is 18 run it from day 1.
Mr.Esox

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2008, 05:51 AM »
Don't be tempted to put anything in but 100-1 amsoil. Anything else will cause carbon build up that the amsoil would never leave. I raced motocross for eight years and ran amsoil in all my bikes up to 128-1. I found no real advantage so I went back to just 100-1 mix. The reason you think it has more power is because oil causes friction, and more oil, more friction. Ever saw how good a two stroke motor ran without oil? They run good just before they seize. Hope this helps!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2008, 06:28 AM »
Break the Auger in with a gallon of dino 2-cycle oil mixed to 24:1. After the break-in switch to Amsoil Sabre 100:1. I've been mixing it at 70:1 or so. The reason behind using dino for breakin is to seat the rings quickly. A full syn is super slippery and the rings can take a long time to seat.
Always break in the motor with a few tanks of regular two stroke pre mix and add a little extra oil to the mix . This will hone the rings and piston jug properly . later on you can go with the synthetic oil . Personally I love the smell of regular two stoke smoke .

I had this exact same concern so I called Amsoil.  Said it was fine to go 100/1 right out of the chute. ???  So far so good.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:06 AM »
I had this exact same concern so I called Amsoil.  Said it was fine to go 100/1 right out of the chute. ???  So far so good.

You can do a search on the net and read more about the break-in described. Running a full syn right away won't hurt anything, it just prolongs the break-in process. Just because an oil says you can run 100:1 doesn't mean it should be broken in at 100:1 or even 50:1. Two strokes need to be broken in properly for best performance.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:10 AM »
Don't be tempted to put anything in but 100-1 amsoil. Anything else will cause carbon build up that the amsoil would never leave. I raced motocross for eight years and ran amsoil in all my bikes up to 128-1. I found no real advantage so I went back to just 100-1 mix. The reason you think it has more power is because oil causes friction, and more oil, more friction. Ever saw how good a two stroke motor ran without oil? They run good just before they seize. Hope this helps!

Oil causing friction. :laugh: Oil may cause some drag due to thickening after burning but it reduces friction greatly. Extra oil can actually seal the rings reducing blowby and increasing power.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:15 AM »
I run Amsoil Saber Professional 100:1 in every 2 stroke that I own and have never had a problem.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:19 AM »
I use amsoil sabre 100:1, but I also put Stabil in it as well so it may be like 80:1, especially in my auger because I don't go though a gallon a winter.. But I would run one gallon of 24:1 regular.. then change plugs, and run Amsoil sabre.  I had a long conversation about this with the AMSOIL dealer in my neighborhood..  I love the stuff, my auger (Jiffy 30) runs awesome.  I did have to do a full carb adjustment after a awhile because I think the jets and the chamber cleaned out.. and it started to choke off because off too much fuel...(they also come really rich from Jiffy)  It took me a while. to get it just right, but now its pull/ warm/ go!! ;D

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Trouble with amsoil is they dont update their service ratings on their oil to prove that it meets the specs.for new motors. they are still using tcw ratings that are 20yrs. old. all the new 2 stroke engines recommend ISO EGD+ or JASO-FD.and they dont offer a petroleum based oil for older applications where syn. oil is not recommended. and I'm not a fan of pyramid buying ....AMSOIL...AMWAY...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:47 AM »
You can do a search on the net and read more about the break-in described. Running a full syn right away won't hurt anything, it just prolongs the break-in process. Just because an oil says you can run 100:1 doesn't mean it should be broken in at 100:1 or even 50:1. Two strokes need to be broken in properly for best performance.

You diffently sound like you know your stuff dkfry, thanks for sharing the knowledge.  I got started on the stuff from all the chatter about it on here.  Remember the first time I put 1.3 oz. in a gal. of gas and thought to myself :cookoo:  Tried to blow up my 30 year old Stihl chainsaw with it first before trying it in my newer auger, couldn't do it.  Nice to have just one can for mixed gas.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:04 AM »
I use amsoil sabre 100:1, but I also put Stabil in it as well so it may be like 80:1, especially in my auger because I don't go though a gallon a winter.. But I would run one gallon of 24:1 regular.. then change plugs, and run Amsoil sabre.  I had a long conversation about this with the AMSOIL dealer in my neighborhood..  I love the stuff, my auger (Jiffy 30) runs awesome.  I did have to do a full carb adjustment after a awhile because I think the jets and the chamber cleaned out.. and it started to choke off because off too much fuel...(they also come really rich from Jiffy)  It took me a while. to get it just right, but now its pull/ warm/ go!! ;D

I always run stabil, its needed IMO, espcially with the increased ethanol content in fuel nowadays. I'm trying to get my hands on some of the Marine stabil to try, I'm going to have to special order it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Trouble with amsoil is they dont update their service ratings on their oil to prove that it meets the specs.for new motors. they are still using tcw ratings that are 20yrs. old. all the new 2 stroke engines recommend ISO EGD+ or JASO-FD.and they dont offer a petroleum based oil for older applications where syn. oil is not recommended. and I'm not a fan of pyramid buying ....AMSOIL...AMWAY...

Check the site again. "Saber Professional is recommended for pre-mix where ISO-L-EGD, JASO FD or API TC is specified."
  http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Sabre 100:1 Prof is mainly for air-cooled 2-strokes. They have other oils for outboards that better suit the application.

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:38 AM »
that's good that they up dated,but the rating is still the same on the regular syn.oil,interceptor and 2000 series.dont forget syn.oil cost a lot more than petroleum based oil, think you will find that regardless of what oil you use if mixed properly.99.999% of the time any trouble is not the fault of the oil.it mostly is personal preference. ;)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2008, 11:08 AM »
that's good that they up dated,but the rating is still the same on the regular syn.oil,interceptor and 2000 series.dont forget syn.oil cost a lot more than petroleum based oil, think you will find that regardless of what oil you use if mixed properly.99.999% of the time any trouble is not the fault of the oil.it mostly is personal preference. ;)

I do think Amsoil should have a more detailed PDF file on there oils. Seems in the US SAE and TCW is popular even though ISO ratings are more accurate when compared to SAE. The 2-strokes I've ripped apart that burned 100% dino do indeed collect a lot more carbon deposits which is not good. I agree that under normal use any oil mixed right will work fine for a long time however as carbon builds performance will suffer. In the near future I think straight dino 2-stroke may be hard to attain. Blends and full syns are taking over. For clean burning dino vs a full syn is a night and day difference.

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2008, 12:09 PM »
i dont know how true it is but a few mechanics i deal with told me that when syn.oils sit in the base of a motor over time they cause an acidic reaction with certain bearings,specifically with Harley motors. so these guys are sticking to petroleum based products. ??? ???

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2008, 12:11 PM »
I do think Amsoil should have a more detailed PDF file on there oils. Seems in the US SAE and TCW is popular even though ISO ratings are more accurate when compared to SAE. The 2-strokes I've ripped apart that burned 100% dino do indeed collect a lot more carbon deposits which is not good. I agree that under normal use any oil mixed right will work fine for a long time however as carbon builds performance will suffer. In the near future I think straight dino 2-stroke may be hard to attain. Blends and full syns are taking over. For clean burning dino vs a full syn is a night and day difference.

the way the powersports industry is headed we wont have to worry about 2 stroke oil much longer anyway it seems like every thing is going 4 stroke ..

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Awesome!!!Thanks for all the replys fellas. I have the Amsoil Sabre 100:1..What do you think about mixing it 50:1?? Thats what jiffy suggested.. I expected maybe three replys. Must be a bunch of us ready to hit the hard water..

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:10 PM »
You can mix it richer if you want. I run around 70:1 mainly because the auger never has a chance to get up to operating temp before I start drilling.

Bring on the Ice. :icefish:

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:17 PM »
i dont know how true it is but a few mechanics i deal with told me that when syn.oils sit in the base of a motor over time they cause an acidic reaction with certain bearings,specifically with Harley motors. so these guys are sticking to petroleum based products. ??? ???

A lot of things are going to synthetic especially gear oil applications, ATF in transmissions and etc. There are advantages but you pay for syn thats for shure. Corrosion or pitting is probably caused by contaminants in the oil such as moisture and etc. Could also be a problem with disimilar metals withing the crankcase. :-\ Bearing materials don't differ that greatly from application to application. An aircooled 4-stroke thumper like a harley is best suited for a full dino oil because of heat transfer. Dino oil sucks more heat away from the engine componets than a full syn oil. Aircooled engines run hotter than watercooled engines so they need all the extra cooling they can get.

timberdoodle

« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Awesome!!!Thanks for all the replys fellas. I have the Amsoil Sabre 100:1..What do you think about mixing it 50:1?? Thats what jiffy suggested.. I expected maybe three replys. Must be a bunch of us ready to hit the hard water..

I found that when I wanted to switch to Amsoil about half the manufactures said 50:1 the other half said they couldn't recommend using it. I just ended up going by Amsoil's recommendations, and so far so good. I'm so ready for Ice, my wife already can't stand me....lol..... :laugh:

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2008, 05:25 AM »
I have had excellent luck with amsoil, in all my two stroke equipment. Switched over the boat motor, snow blower, chainsaw, and auger two years ago. More power and better gas usage.   I do mix it about 80:1 ratio though with no problems. 

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2008, 07:21 AM »
Oil manufactures place a window of error in the amount of oil per gallon of gasoline. In other words, you could go less than the recommended amount of oil and not have problems. Just put the amount it says for 100-1. you can't go wrong. Amsoil or any one else that makes oil would not tell the pubic to mix their oil right on the edge, so to speak, that would cause your engines to wear out prematurely.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.