Author Topic: Sleeping in the truck bed  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sleeping in the truck bed
« on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Hey guys, I have a cap on my truck and am thinking of sleeping in it for when i spend late nights fishing instead of driving home when I'm tired.  I plan on getting a folding pad for my 8ft bed and my sleeping bag thats good to -20.  I was thinking of getting a Mr. Buddy heater and somehow yankee riggin it to the truck.   Any ideas?   Thanks in advance and merry christmas to everyone!!!

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: Sleeping in the truck bed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:44 PM »
I think that'd be pretty cool man, It would defiantly work. You could always have a little propane tank heater that you could put on to warm everything up until you get it nice and toasty, then shut it off and go to bed.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:50 PM »
sounds good, I think one of those propane heaters would do great, just like a shanty
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Be veeery careful of heating source and make sure there's plenty of ventilation. Wouldn.t like to refer to you in the past tense, such as "Dead Dog". You also might want to consider adding some foam insulation sheets to floor and sides of truck bed to keep some residual heat in.

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I have a friend that does this for quickee camping, and he has a carpet remnant that has been cut down to fit the floor of the bed.  Adds a bit of insulation and helps smooth the ridges in the floor of the bed.  You can probably get a carpet remnant that will fit from nearly any carpet store (or their dumpster).  Good luck and be safe with that heater. 
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:39 PM »
 I've been there and done that in the middle of December buck hunting in Penna.
 Unless your cap is WELL insulated you would be warmer sleeping in a refrigerator.
 You wake up in the morning with frost all over the inside of the cap  and your teeth
 chattering. Not a good experience..

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:42 PM »
I was talking to a local custom shop and he said he installed a battery operated heater in the back of a guys truck because he plows and doesnt want his windows fogging up. Maybe a better idea then propane?  I do have a spot under the hood of my truck for an extra battery...

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:27 PM »
With todays propane heaters like the buddy they are very safe. They have low oxygen shutoffs and tip over protection. I would not be afraid to crack a vent window and go to sleep with the heater on low.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I got a 12v electric blanket for Christmas that plugs right into the cig lighter. It may not be rated for -20, but if you put something like that inside your sleeping bag, that would be toasty. When I drive home to Mass and NH every year for fishing, I usually take a sleeping break and don't like to leave the truck running. I can't wait to use this sprawled out on the front seat.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline fishingmedic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Dawg, be very careful of the propane. Carbon Monoxide kills. If you do use a combustion type heater, think about a CO detector. Cheap insurance! Good luck.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:47 PM »
Do yourself and your family and your Ice Shanty friends !
Get a 12 volt inverter and an electric blanket .
It's about the same price as a propane heater but a bunch safer .
I've done this myself and it is quite comfortable . You don't get the whole area heated but you don't really need to . Just make sure you have a lot of padding under you no matter how you heat things up . The bed of the truck has no insulation value and can get pretty cold .

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:47 PM »
Strongly suggest AGAINST sleeping in a confined space with propane heat.  BIG GAMBLE.  Wanna stay warm in a -20 bag all night??   Fill 2 Nalgene bottles with boiling water, throw in sleeping bag 10 minutes before tucking in --warm all night.  I suppose charcoal hand warmers in there would keep things toasty also.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Unless you can keep the temp above freezing inside the shell it will be full of frost in the morning and it might require higher than that depending on humidity and other factors to eliminate high condensation soaking everything inside. A Co detector would be a good investment. Also look into some kind of quilted material like moving pads and get a snap kit and fix it so you can snap in panels to the interior of the shell and drape down to the floor of the truck bed. This will act as insulation and help to lower the condensation accumulation inside, something similar will need to be done on the ceiling or it will rain inside. Hope this helps and be careful with the heater.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:14 PM »
The CO detector would be cheap insurance. I still would leave windows cracked. Be safe.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Strongly suggest AGAINST sleeping in a confined space with propane heat.  BIG GAMBLE.  Wanna stay warm in a -20 bag all night??   Fill 2 Nalgene bottles with boiling water, throw in sleeping bag 10 minutes before tucking in --warm all night.  I suppose charcoal hand warmers in there would keep things toasty also.

I'd even stay away from the charcoal heaters in that small of confined space. Charcoal cranks out that carbon monoxide also!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2006, 05:02 AM »
i think its great that we have a place like this where we can give each other advice
on subjects such as these..............

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline sch01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2006, 07:43 AM »
Check out cabelas and search for TruckBedz™ "Weekender" Airbed.  I have been looking into one of these for summer camping.  Might work for winter as well. 

Steve

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:44 AM »
 :-\ im kinda leary on the use of propain in small spaces i would go with the electric blanket idea just my .02

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:51 AM »
Propane will work fine as long as you have a window cracked for ventilation. I would be more worried about the electric blanket draining the battery, converting electricity to heat takes a lot of energy.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Propane will work fine as long as you have a window cracked for ventilation. I would be more worried about the electric blanket draining the battery, converting electricity to heat takes a lot of energy.

I would make sure to have one of those jump boxes handy if you have nobody else around with a vehicle. You could turn the blanket on and off every hour or so. Maybe bring a charged up marine battery and use that......
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:09 AM »
I have done it many times. Probably the best advice that I can give you would be to buy a space blanket or survival blanket, what ever they call them now , and put it under your sleeping bag to further insulate you from the cold truck bed. I sleep with my head down by the tail gate because I believe that there is plenty of leakage for fresh air there unless you have the tail gate sealed. Just my .02.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline HuntnTky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Under the Ducks or Over the fish otherwise youre j
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:17 AM »
I have camped in the bed of my truck for years. Mostly in spring gobbler season though. I have used my camp stove ( Propane ) in the early mornings to cut the chill and of course cook the coffee and breakfast. I also used my Mr heater some. You can get a connecter hose and run the propane to the heater from a bigger tank outside. You need to keep a window open or you wont be waking up.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:43 AM »
I have done it and probably will again this year.   The pad under your is really improtant.  The cold coming up from below your is actually touching you and you need to insulate yourself from it.  I have a mattress pad about 4 to 5"  thich and put my bag on that.  The good mummy bags for cold weather camping work well. You need the one you can pull the draw sting and just have a opening around your nose.   The propane heat would be fine when your awake.  Id never go to sleep with one going.  You may never wake up.  With a good bag you will sleep plenty warm.  In the morning, start the heater up again for a while befor you get up.....  Works for me.     Merry Christmas! 

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Mr. Buddy heaters now have a low oxygen sensor that turns off the unit if the CO2 gases build up protects you from dying whiling lying down. But still I don't if I would trust it good idea if you are staying awake fishing you can feel yourself getting groggy. Best advice is a nice warm sleeping bag on a folding cot keeps you off the cold truck bed. :tipup:

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm probably going to get an eletric heater installed here in NH for around $150, or so the guy said. And like one of the gentlemen above me said, bring an extra battery so I'm not running it off my regular battery.  Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all!!!

-Dave

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:34 PM »
I used to sleep very often in my pickup trucks and now I have a van.  Instead of juste a matresse on the floor of the truck, I found it much warmer and comfortable with a good folding cot and matresse.  Another good trick is to make a folding bed.  It's easy, you just attach a peice of plywood to the side of the truck bed with hinges.  You fold down the plywood and support the other side with folding legs.  It's much warmer being off the floor of the truck bed.  The installation of the folding bed does not need to be permanent.  When travelling, you can fold up the plywood.  The bed also makes a nice platform when you want to get dressed in the morning.  You can store stuff under it to leave you with more space.

A van is a bit warmer than a truck bed.  When there are mosquitos, I tape some mosquito netting to open windows.

Even when it's very cold, it's always better to leave a small opening in order to release a bit of moisture from the condensation and use a much warmer sleeping bag.  I even use 2 sleeping bags....a down filled mummy bag inside of a large good quality sleeping bag.  Sleep naked (or almost) but store your clothes inside the large sleeping bag where they will stay warm and free of condensation.  I don't use a heater.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:20 PM »
Dabluz, thank you for a very sweet idea!!  Im going to try my idea and if it works, ill let you guys know!!

-Dave

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:38 PM »
WOW- my wife complained 'cuz I went fishing today for 6 hours, couldn't imagine her disgust after an all-nighter. Married life 'Tis wonderful. Hey all single guys- enjoy it while you can................

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:11 PM »
Without sufficient ventillation you will get frost, which is the result of condensation from your breathing.  As others have suggested a good sleeping pad is important for providing insulation.  If you've got a good pad and a -20 deg bag I wouldn't bother with the heater.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:27 PM »
Just so I could sleep soundly. I'd put a co2 alarm by my head there cheap insurance on wakeing up. then you could run Mr buddy on low all night

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.