Author Topic: Homemade Smoker Tips???  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Homemade Smoker Tips???
« on: Sep 07, 2003, 04:29 PM »
I'm considering making a meat smoker.  I have heard of several methods.  Seems an old fridge can be converted quite easily, but do you remove the compressor and lines?  What about disposal of freon?  Of course there's also the issue of the thing looking unsightly in the back yard.  I considered purchasing one of those "Big Chief" electric smokers.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Homemade Smoker Tips???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2003, 04:37 PM »
I made one out of an old upright freezer. look for one with metal inside walls instead of plastic.I removed all the lines and compressor. I was lucky, all the freon was gone. I spray painted the thing in a woodland camoflage pattern it looks real good.  i drilled a 1 inch hole in the bottom to run the cord for an electric hot plate. 3/4 of the way up the sides I drilled 2   3/4 inch holes as vents. I made 60 lbs. of venison jerky in it at one time with no problem. hope this info helped. good luck and happy smoking.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2003, 06:17 PM »
Sounds like himo has the plan if you want quantity. I have a little chief smoker and have been satisfied with it. I can just fit a 20 pound salmon in it after it has been cut up and prepared to smoke. Depends on how much you want i guess. After the expense of the fixins to brine it, it ain't cheap, but it is good. They include a recipe book with the smoker.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2003, 08:15 PM »
Olds-pa, have you ever used it in extreme cold?  I hear they will not retain sufficient heat as they are not insulated.  I've heard of people having to build an insulated box in which to put the unit if they are to be used outside in winter.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2003, 09:28 PM »
I never did use it in the cold trevor. I knew it would not handle it. I had to let it go extra time in just cool fall weather to get the job done. Then i de-hydrated the fish some in the micro wave to finish it. Not exactly a good sales pitch for that smoker eh? It did do a good job under normal conditions though. I had considered bringing it in doors, but the Mrs. nixed that idea. I bet the smoke detectors would have loved it.  ::)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2003, 10:35 PM »
I have used my Big Chief smoker in cold weather.  It was 10 above when I smoked a mess of salmon.  I do however utilize the box that the smoker comes in for insulation.  I have a buddy who adds a canvas tarp over the box to further heat up the smoker.   It works great for retaining the smokers heat.  As for smokers, the smaller compact electric models are pretty nice!, (Luhr Jenson or Totem.)   I had to add about an hour or two to my smoking time in the winter which made it a 9 or 10 hour ordeal instead of the standard 8 hour smoke time.  If you can, get the style smoker that has a small flap on the front.  This allows the changing of chips without the loss of too much heat.  Hope this helps!  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2003, 11:15 AM »
I also have a big chief works very well. Have done fish, jerky, and small chickens. I do not use mine when the air temp. gets below 40 deg. I had thought about makeing a insulated jacket for the colder weather.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2003, 10:20 PM »
I got hold of a stainless steel(external & internal) milk cooler(refrigerator size), vented it, put rails in to hold the sticks, installed a hot plate, and installed a thermostat to control the temp.  Sits in the back yard and does not look shabby, in fact, when it runs the neighbourhood seems aware that something is coming out of it, whether it be fish, sausage or jerky.  No one complains, in fact, sample requests are the order of the day upon completion of the cycle.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2003, 06:32 AM »
I have an ice cooler that I am planing on making a smoker out of.  I want it to be both a hot and a cold smoker.  I can find all kinds of info on hot smoking (brine mix, parts, etc).  Cannot find much info on the cold smoking style?  I know that the heat and smoke have to be produced away from the smoker itself and piped in.  Any other info would help?
Thanks Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2003, 07:15 AM »
hey bunny. I go thru the same thing with mine, when I am smoking something. you have no idea you have that many neighbors.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2003, 09:00 PM »
Trevor,down south they call em riberators. Cabela's had a kit to convert a fridge, but you can do  it cheap with common duct work from a home improvmemt or hardware store. If youall is cookin' a larger cut of meat like a hog a offset steel fire box werks better. Also you can smoke in below freezing (YEAH!!!!!) temps. as long as the smoke chamber stays at 170 degrees.
Crappieloo
Wayne C.O. ny

mngonefishing

« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2003, 08:55 PM »
I got a old freezer from a friend. it works great :) but remember to take the lock off even with the vents cut into it. a child can get traped in it.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2003, 11:43 AM »
very good safety advice mngonefishing!

bschlauch

« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2003, 05:48 PM »
Ive heard of also converting an old pressure tank. Sounds like it takes a little work, but it may be the ticket. Anyone ever done this.

My dad has had an old refridgerator (all steel...the key) that he has used for years. All componets taken out except for the racks. Its not a full size, if it were working it would be perfect for pop and beer. He then placed a small vent pipe out the top and can be attached to another pipe that goes out the garage wall. It makes some of the best meat I have tasted. If you can find an old fridge with the steel sidewalls, I think its definately the way to go.

Good luck

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2003, 08:00 PM »
Years ago, I made a smoker out of a 4 drawer file cabinet. I lined the bottom drawer with iron plate and vented the other drawers. Put in a rack on bricks and it was ready to go. We used  charcoal and wet grape vine or apple chips for the smoke effect and always had good sucess with whatever we would smoke, fish, foul, etc.

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2003, 08:36 PM »
Trevor, here is a site I use quite a bit. It has a lot of info you may be able to  use.www.northwestsmoki ng.com

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2003, 05:14 PM »
Right on guys, thanks for the awesome info...

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2003, 05:35 PM »
great  site thanks!
BUD

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2003, 07:12 AM »
yeh same here. thanks bud. it is a good site.

Offline ice-chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Homemade Smoker Tips???
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:30 PM »
best i found was to dig a square hole big enough to fit 4 cinder blocks inside diam. then build a box any wood will work but ply or particle, plank wood is best as wide adding 1" of overlap to the blocks up to 5' tall put hanger hooks in the top along w/ a cap and shelf pegs about four a shelf per side add a small trap to the bottom of the door and a latch, soak your bark in water and start a good fire in the bottom to make a good bed of coals in the bottom then add the bark as needed to keep smoking takes practice but works well I have smoked everything from whole venison hind 1/4s to smelt in it ;)
True ice fisherman start preparing in July LOL!!!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:56 PM »
Another way to smoke is as follows:  dig a trench and lay some drainage ceramic or cemet one foot pipe.  on one side you place an oil drum with the bottom cut out and build racks to hand fish or meat.  on the other end you clear the dirt and build the hearth.  Build the fire in the hearth and the smoke and heat will work their way through the pipe into the drum.  Works very well. My grandfather used to use something similar to smoke all the meats on the farm ,  once the killed the pig.  Just need to purchase one of those portable temperature gagues to make sure that during smoking ,  the fish reach 140 deg F for 1/2 hour so it's safe to eat,  not sure about the safe meat temps though.

I personally upgraded to the Bradley stainless steel electic smoker with the side chip feeder, so I don' t have to open it all the time.  That same chip feeder can be fitted to any metal fridge for $150. It automaticaly feeds one chip every 20 minutes.  I'm using it to smoke mackerel, trout and salmon,  but i think I'll try beef jerky next.   

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:23 PM »
Hi all................... ..anyone want to share some beef jerky recipes???

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:10 AM »
I use Hi Mountain Jerky Cure (Original) I have tried different methods and have found this one to be the best tasting to me. I cure the meat overnight (24hours) and smoke the jerky at 190 degrees for about 3 to 4 hours or until dried to perfection. During the summer it is typacally faster. During January its typically slower, but 3 hours seems to be the average.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.