Author Topic: Battery size and performance  (Read 3591 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Battery size and performance
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Getting back to batteries, I thought that the higher amperage really meant the battery would supply the same amount of power as a lower amperage, only for a longer period de[pending on the amount of power draw of the device being used.

6ah 18v battery vs. 9ah 18v battery to be used with a flasher that draws 10 watts of power (example)

8 x 18 = 108 watts      108 / 10 = 10.8 hours of average run time/draw

9 x 18 = 162 watts      162 / 10 = 16.2 hours of average run time/draw

Using a device that draws power quickly will drain the battery faster, requiring more frequent charging and could eventually shorten the battery lifespan.

A higher amperage battery will not make a tool more powerful. The tool must have that capacity built in (like Milwaukee).
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Well that only has 725 in/lbs of torque ..also I believe it is a brushed drill ...going to get vastly different results the the 1200 in/lbs models .

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/Hammer-Drills/2604-20

May want to get a discounted 2803/2804 ...move your current drill to ice anchor duty .

Its brushless but is slower and has 40% less torque than current models.

"POWERSTATE™ Brushless Motor: Delivers up to 725 in lbs of torque"
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:33 PM »
Its brushless but is slower and has 40% less torque than current models.

"POWERSTATE™ Brushless Motor: Delivers up to 725 in lbs of torque"

You are correct on the brushless ..that was the it girl of drills when the K-Drill first came on the scene and the 2700 and 2800 was in the R&D stage . Milwaukee battery technology also is cutting edge ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2021, 01:04 PM »
I can promise you I have 1/2" hammer drill Brushless Fuel. It works perfectly well for my needs.
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:04 PM »
I ran 2- 5ah batteries on my M18 2804 fuel last year..i'd go through half of a battery on an easy day and a full one on a good day..might need the second battery..I bought a 12ah this year and have been out with it many times now. It won't even accept a charge after 1 day of drilling holes..I haven't even left 4 bars..it's unreal how much power the bigger batteries have vs multiple smaller ones..just my experiences anyway.. I of course still carry a 5ah as a backup..

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:25 PM »
I ran 2- 5ah batteries on my M18 2804 fuel last year..i'd go through half of a battery on an easy day and a full one on a good day..might need the second battery..I bought a 12ah this year and have been out with it many times now. It won't even accept a charge after 1 day of drilling holes..I haven't even left 4 bars..it's unreal how much power the bigger batteries have vs multiple smaller ones..just my experiences anyway.. I of course still carry a 5ah as a backup..

Thats the same thing a buddy of mine said. He bought that 12 and 9 deal or whatever it was back on black friday. We used the 12 for the first trip and drilled probably 30 or so holes in 4" of ice. He texted me later that evening and said the battery didnt take a charge, it was still full. We fished 3 days before his battery would charge, and he said it was back to full in about an hour. I'm definitely getting one for next year during late ice, or when I want to use my 8" auger.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Thats the same thing a buddy of mine said. He bought that 12 and 9 deal or whatever it was back on black friday. We used the 12 for the first trip and drilled probably 30 or so holes in 4" of ice. He texted me later that evening and said the battery didnt take a charge, it was still full. We fished 3 days before his battery would charge, and he said it was back to full in about an hour. I'm definitely getting one for next year during late ice, or when I want to use my 8" auger.

yep that's definitely my experience with it..i'm going through 15" of ice now and drill 6-8 holes every time we setup..most days it's just 1 setup and fish with the family..it is really crazy how much power it has..

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2021, 03:38 PM »
My Milwaukee 9ah w/Leaf blower came with the rapid charger ..it is rapid ..but will only rapidly charge certain batteries ..it no faster for my 5ah batteries then the standard charger .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:31 PM »
My Milwaukee 9ah w/Leaf blower came with the rapid charger ..it is rapid ..but will only rapidly charge certain batteries ..it no faster for my 5ah batteries then the standard charger .

that is how I got my 9ah battery. My buddy bought it for me as a wedding gift. He is an engineer at Milwaukee Tool and is in the prototype department focusing on the batteries.
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:37 PM »
that is how I got my 9ah battery. My buddy bought it for me as a wedding gift. He is an engineer at Milwaukee Tool and is in the prototype department focusing on the batteries.

If I had a buddy in that position I would see if he could hook us up with a group purchase deal, strictly for "Severe Weather Testing" purposes of course.  ;D
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.