Author Topic: Thinking a 7" Nero for my Fuel.  (Read 4186 times)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Thinking a 7" Nero for my Fuel.
« on: Oct 24, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Anyone use these? Are they any good?  I can get one with drill adapter for $90.

I use my 6" Mora/Fuel  for everything but there are several times a year I fish for big trout/pike and while they come up thru a 6" hole, a 7" would be way easier especially when using a gaff.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Thinking a 7" Nero for my Fuel.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2019, 11:58 AM »
I used one all last year until the ice was 24" or more. Worked great. I also bought the 6" and will try it out this year.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2019, 12:37 PM »
I bought a 7” mini nero for my drill setup but ended up just keeping it as my hand auger.it cuts effortlessly hand cranking holes.i have no doubt it will work great on a plate!

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2019, 01:04 PM »
I love my Nero on the Ridgid. I think they came out with an 8" this year if you really want to open things up.  Plenty of guys using 8" bits on Fuels.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I use the 8 inch on my Fuel with no problem at all, even in 38+ inch ice.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Ran a nero on a 1200 fuel with a kovak adapter and clam extension all last season... Great setup, the Nero is a good little auger. I've been very happy with this combo.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Anyone use these? Are they any good?  I can get one with drill adapter for $90.

I use my 6" Mora/Fuel  for everything but there are several times a year I fish for big trout/pike and while they come up thru a 6" hole, a 7" would be way easier especially when using a gaff.
Slayer...Your M18 Fuel with Clam plate spinning a 7" Nero would be as good a setup as there is.  You have the RPM's and the torque from the Fuel, the leverage from the Clam to

control it and those Nero blades cut as silky smooth as a Nils but are Tonka tough. Count on two inches per second. You'll probably want to jump on that deal. I find that 7" is

plenty big but, then again, you seem to catch bigger fish than I do, dammit.

Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Im just thinking 7" cause if I need an 8" or larger its gonna be on a large lake where Ill have a machine to haul my 10" gasser. There's only a few places where I hafta walk that I want the 7. Besides this 7" deal comes with the drill adapter.  And it's cheap did I mention its cheap? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2019, 03:57 PM »
I have the Nero got it cause I I am old! Can’t haul the weight any more. Unless you are a Swiss cheeser don’t know if you even need your fuel.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Well I ordered the 7" Nero from "Sporstmans Guide".  Comes with the drill adaptor. I also got a set of replacement blades. Total was $99. Free shipping.  I had to get the 30 day free club membership but can cancel it anytime b4 11-24-19. After that it's $50/year.

Ill give a review once I get to use it! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2019, 04:01 PM »
I have the Nero got it cause I I am old! Can’t haul the weight any more. Unless you are a Swiss cheeser don’t know if you even need your fuel.
Keep it safe! JDL

I am a Swiss Cheeser!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2019, 04:32 PM »
 Congrats on the 7" Nero. I sure have loved using mine these past two seasons.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Congrats on the 7" Nero. I sure have loved using mine these past two seasons.

I figured for $90 its worth a run. The new Strikemaster lite flite and the K-drill are $200.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2019, 07:25 PM »
I figured for $90 its worth a run. The new Strikemaster lite flite and the K-drill are $200.
right.and the blades are cheap too.i found a few sets last year for 7.99 a set.but under 20$ anyways.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I love my Nero on the Ridgid. I think they came out with an 8" this year if you really want to open things up.  Plenty of guys using 8" bits on Fuels.
8" Nero----  https://www.reedssports.com/ht-enterprises/ht-enterprises-nero-tele-hand-auger-8-inch-ki-320863?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxDkza2ttyJ4yzbj1WGmBB0cQJua7ydLd3haQuHp5mFrEz81pNMehWkaAjPQEALw_wcB
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2019, 11:10 PM »
You guys talked me into ordering one!  Sounds like it should be the perfect backup for my SM lazer gas auger, and the go-to auger for sandy ice.

$86 from Kittery Trading Post (a site sponsor) for a Mini Nero 7" auger with drill adaptor, a spare set of blades, and free shipping.  (With the 20% discount for signing up for email ads.)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I bought a 7” mini nero for my drill setup but ended up just keeping it as my hand auger.it cuts effortlessly hand cranking holes.i have no doubt it will work great on a plate!

I used the 7" Nero a lot last year. I also have a 5" blue mora, and side by side, the Nero with it's new blades and the mora with newly sharpened blades, the Nero took the same effort to cut a hole, despite being that much larger. Plus, with the 7" hole, I only drill one hole. If I was setting up on some fish with the 5", I'd always drill two, one for the transducer, one to fish out of, the 7" is big enough for both. It folds up and fits in a bucket too. I have yet to use my drill adapter.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Keep it safe! JDL
I too am advanced in years and gravity has become unfriendly. I got my 7" Nero two seasons back after watching a Russian YouTube video where the guy walks toward the

camera, pulls this little folded auger from his armpit, sits down and unfolds it, and proceeds to drill a hole using fingertip pressure, still sitting and chatting along.

Granted, he's only spinning a 6" auger but the 7" doesn't take a lot more effort. You may not even need a drill power unit unless you get real thick ice or run and gun. If required,

the Fuel/ clam plate/ Nero is a sweet combo but so is an Octane/ Kovac/ Nero combo which is what I'll be running this season.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2019, 12:26 PM »
You guys talked me into ordering one!  Sounds like it should be the perfect backup for my SM lazer gas auger, and the go-to auger for sandy ice.

Me too, I think my old 8in. Mora has seen its last ice.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2019, 03:03 PM »

$86 from Kittery Trading Post (a site sponsor) for a Mini Nero 7" auger with drill adaptor, a spare set of blades, and free shipping.  (With the 20% discount for signing up for email ads.)

Great!  Ruined my day couldasaved $13! :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Great!  Ruined my day couldasaved $13! :P
You would have only blown it on a case of Keystone Lite.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I jumped on the bandwagon...seems too good to pass up.  And I can think of a few walk-in spots that little Nero will be perfect, even without the Fuel/Clam.  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2019, 05:18 PM »
can confirm 7" nero is worth it. i used it all last year, im a neurotic swiss cheeser, and after 1 trip i just leave the drill in the truck. im a lazy 40 but i keep the blades sharp. i punching through 20" in under a 20 count,the trick is no or very little down pressure, it just sucks itself into the ice. really big chips. my buddy could not get his clam plate 5" through the ice any faster than i could the 7" by hand.
I hate not fishing

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Get the 7 or 8”; out it on a drill, and you’ll never want to use the power auger again!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2019, 09:35 PM »

Keystone ICE! I got a 30-pack the other day for $14.99. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2019, 10:43 PM »
...the trick is no or very little down pressure, it just sucks itself into the ice. really big chips. my buddy could not get his clam plate 5" through the ice any faster than i could the 7" by hand.

It does take a little time to get used to that. I still have trouble getting used to using both hands to turn the auger, drilled too many holes with the Strikemaster hand auger using one hand to turn it and one on top pushing down.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2019, 11:51 PM »
Bwahahaha
You'll love the Nero Hamsta! I bought a 5" and it cut so nice I sent it back and traded it in for a 6". Straps on to the bike nicely for them rides back to LT. Best hand augers I've ever turned, cut ice like butter. I kinda wish I would have just kept the 5" (nice and light) and bought a 7" for the pigs.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Bwahahaha
You'll love the Nero Hamsta! I bought a 5" and it cut so nice I sent it back and traded it in for a 6". Straps on to the bike nicely for them rides back to LT. Best hand augers I've ever turned, cut ice like butter. I kinda wish I would have just kept the 5" (nice and light) and bought a 7" for the pigs.
Get the 8" for the pigs big brothers!!!  ;)2 :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.