Author Topic: If you could ice fish anywhere where would it be and why???  (Read 3575 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: If you could ice fish anywhere where would it be and why???
« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2019, 07:37 PM »
I would LOVE to hit Erie. A dude that sells ice castles at the iowa Great Lakes goes over there. He has pictures with three guys each holding up 2 walleyes they ranged from 28in to 33in and we're all over 10# +. Claims every trip he has gone on to Erie has produced at least 1 10# walleye

Only thing I worry about on erie is the algae bloom.. like we been having every summer.. i still wonnder  if the fish are toxic now days.. that's why I would love to go to the upper paninsula to bay de noc..  only problem it gets windy in winter.. some times they close the mac bridge.  there was a small car that got blown over the guard rail I think back in 86 to 92 yrs .  they took a  150 foot plunge to water too.. now that gets me  thinking of that ice castle crossing the bridge you got..   that thing is a huge sail lol's .. any how huron even has good walleye fishing in saginaw bay..  that's another good one..  if you get up here.. for me to me to go to canada is like going to Mexico...  I don't like leaving this county cause of implications that happen in foreign lands.. that and gas price is by the liter not gallon like the us.. totally different land if you think about it..4 liters to a gallon aprox and that thing with the Russians and usb drives detaining us citizens I know would happen to me for sure lols.. would be just my luck.

Side note would like to do some artic char tip up fishing don't know if it's even posible?

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2019, 08:58 PM »
What area did you hit? That NE SD has some crazy fishing, but it seems to be feast or famine. I got my arse kicked the last two trips ice fishing there, but before those IIf was crazy crazy good.

Fished waubay and pickerel. Got there right as cold front blew in and dropped the temp by 40 degrees. The biggest problem for us was that we had no idea what we were doing. We didn’t research access points, what lakes to hit or any real plan. Headed up mid January this year, not a great time of year to fish there but we made it work. Caught some here and there but I don’t feel like we tried as hard as we could have. This year we are going with a guide but being the diy person that I am, I plan to go a couple days early and fish some of the lakes south of Poinsett and maybe Poinsett before meeting up with everyone else at the house we have rented around Grenville.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 01, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Fished waubay and pickerel. Got there right as cold front blew in and dropped the temp by 40 degrees. The biggest problem for us was that we had no idea what we were doing. We didn’t research access points, what lakes to hit or any real plan. Headed up mid January this year, not a great time of year to fish there but we made it work. Caught some here and there but I don’t feel like we tried as hard as we could have. This year we are going with a guide but being the diy person that I am, I plan to go a couple days early and fish some of the lakes south of Poinsett and maybe Poinsett before meeting up with everyone else at the house we have rented around Grenville.

talk to Doug at sportsmans cove in Webster. He will point you in right direction, and help you with acess points.

Offline Double_J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:03 AM »
I’d love to try Devils Lake for perch. My dad grew up south of there......I’d also like to go to Ontario, maybe the Red Lake area.

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Reindeer Lake or Lake Athabasca for big Pike and Lakers!!!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 02, 2019, 10:05 AM »
For me I’d pick a native brookie pond/lake in Maine or eastern Canada with zero development and zero invasive fish. Preferably one with the ability to produce giant square tails.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2019, 01:25 PM »
You should do a erie trip we get so many walleye here we get sick of them..

Is it easily accessible from the state park there?  I drag my sled, so don't want to go too far.  I would think the ice can be tricky and/or unsafe?  I'm really not familiar.

I was only there once for a bass tournament.  Wind blew and it turned real ugly.  My boater speared two 5' waves.  Broke his graph off.  Water in the boat up over my ankles.  Needless to say it was a bad first experience.  haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Is it easily accessible from the state park there?  I drag my sled, so don't want to go too far.  I would think the ice can be tricky and/or unsafe?  I'm really not familiar.

I was only there once for a bass tournament.  Wind blew and it turned real ugly.  My boater speared two 5' waves.  Broke his graph off.  Water in the boat up over my ankles.  Needless to say it was a bad first experience.  haha.

Been there too some times you get nasty winds and the boat has problems on great lakes.. seen a few boats still attached to the pier heads in manistee Ludington and Frankfort on the piers .. cause they mark there way point inside the pier heads on a foggy day .. should have marked a track threw the pier heads thst lead them in ..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:10 PM »

You can go ohio or michigan there is a metro park in michigan and point mole'eh state game area.. I don't think I spelled that name right..  any how that and steerling st. park all depends on ice thickness..  later in year you can venture out on ice we used to fish out by fermi in the 80's in the 70's my dad drove his AMC passer out on the ice a guy was doing 70mph donuts on the ice in a toreando  is how his story goes.  Ice conditions very year to year.. ice has been better towards Febuary to get out on erie then december- january .. as of lately but it's all in the years. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.