Author Topic: Bear creek decoys  (Read 409 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bear creek decoys
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I have 2 of these that look like little pike they fill with water they never sit flush. Just me or how could I get them to sit flush with out damaging them?

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bear creek decoys
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:19 PM »
I have 2 of these that look like little pike they fill with water they never sit flush. Just me or how could I get them to sit flush with out damaging them?
Sit flush?  Do you mean sit level?  If so, do you mean when suspended in the water the decoy does not hang level?

When you let go of the line at the top of the water and the decoy is sinking thru the water column, is the decoy moving forward as it sinks

When you lift the line, does the decoy swim in a forward motion as you are lifting on the line?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Yes sit flush, I make sure there is no water bubbles in them they tend to sit tail high. They don't seem to move very well in a circle going forward.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Yes sit flush, I make sure there is no water bubbles in them they tend to sit tail high. They don't seem to move very well in a circle going forward.

Ideally a spearing decoy should be nose heavy when placed in the water and allowed to sink at it own rate. (no tension on the line)  If the decoy is sinking with the nose down, it should be moving in a forward direction. With a wood decoy, the nose heavy condition is controlled by where and how much lead is added to the decoy to offset the buoyancy of the wood body.  I assume a plastic decoy has this determined when the mold is made.

Ideally a spearing decoy should hang level when suspended in the water.  Again with  a wood decoy, this is controlled by the placement of the screw eye the line is tied to.  Should hang level in the water and hang nose high out of the water.  I would think the placement of the hanging eye would control the level of a plastic decoy as well.

One could glue a single or multiple lead shot to the bottom of the decoy in the appropriate places to alter the balance.  Many guys use lead shot from a shotgun shell to weight and balance wooden decoys.
One could

take care,
Dave  :>)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.