Author Topic: Best Flasher for Shallow Water?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline jawi.

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Flasher for Shallow Water?
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:19 PM »
What flasher would be bet for water 4-7 ft.  Mainly for panfish.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Flasher for Shallow Water?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:31 PM »
FL22 ....if the transducer issues are in the past. 

Offline Flytrout25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag up fish on🎣
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:31 PM »
I’m curious to know myself. I’m fairly knew to ice fishing past few years and so far haven’t used a flasher. Looking into making the investment. In my case it’s going to be a refurbished Vexilar 19 degree. Price is my deciding factor. :tipup:
There is always time for one more cast!

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:58 PM »
When that shallow you really have no need for zoom or dual beam transducer.  You would be just fine with an entry level in whatever brand and save some $$.  If you do want zoom, go with a marcum m1.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:07 PM »
When that shallow you really have no need for zoom or dual beam transducer.  You would be just fine with an entry level in whatever brand and save some $$.  If you do want zoom, go with a marcum m1.

I have to respectfully disagree with some of this.  There is a little more to it.

I do most of my fishing in shallow water too.

The issue I have with “entry level” flashers is the minimum depth setting is 20’. If you’re fishing shallow, say 5’, the entire water column will be squeezed between the 12 o-clock and 3 o-clock position.  That leaves the other 75% of the display unused. 

The FL22 has a 10’ setting so the water column is more spread out on the display.  Better resolution.

When you’re fishing that shallow, a wide beam angle is nice because the cone doesn’t have much of a chance to open up. But, when your fishing  that shallow, you’re usually fishing weeds....  it’s nice to tighten the beam up and clean up the display.   Dual beam or Tri beam is nice for this.

The entry level flashers also lack a low power mode. The FL22 has a low power mode.  That really helps when your fishing shallow.

Over the years, I’ve owned/fished just about every Vexilar flasher.  A few years back I picked up a couple FL22’s. I liked them but kept having issues with the Tri-beam transducers.  Vexilar kept replacing them, the issues continued. You could probably look back at some of my old posts if you’re interested in the issues.  I sold them and moved on.  Shortly after that, they discountinued the 22.  I think I heard they put it back in the lineup.  May be wrong though.  I currently use an FLX28 and an Ice55.   

:icefish:   

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Vexilar does make a suppression cable, that's used for shallow water for their FL8se. I thought about buying one, but never got around to it, If fishing that shallow, I just fish a short rod and sight fish.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Unless you're dead set on a flasher a camera might be something to consider depending on clarity

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:35 PM »
4-7' should be able to sight fish and save a lot of $$.. Beam would be about the size of a milk jug.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:45 PM »
I have to respectfully disagree with some of this.  There is a little more to it.

I do most of my fishing in shallow water too.

The issue I have with “entry level” flashers is the minimum depth setting is 20’. If you’re fishing shallow, say 5’, the entire water column will be squeezed between the 12 o-clock and 3 o-clock position.  That leaves the other 75% of the display unused. 

The FL22 has a 10’ setting so the water column is more spread out on the display.  Better resolution.

When you’re fishing that shallow, a wide beam angle is nice because the cone doesn’t have much of a chance to open up. But, when your fishing  that shallow, you’re usually fishing weeds....  it’s nice to tighten the beam up and clean up the display.   Dual beam or Tri beam is nice for this.

The entry level flashers also lack a low power mode. The FL22 has a low power mode.  That really helps when your fishing shallow.

Over the years, I’ve owned/fished just about every Vexilar flasher.  A few years back I picked up a couple FL22’s. I liked them but kept having issues with the Tri-beam transducers.  Vexilar kept replacing them, the issues continued. You could probably look back at some of my old posts if you’re interested in the issues.  I sold them and moved on.  Shortly after that, they discountinued the 22.  I think I heard they put it back in the lineup.  May be wrong though.  I currently use an FLX28 and an Ice55.   

:icefish:   

22 can be bought & they have a new tri beam that fixed all the issues works great. I run an FL18, FL20, FL22HD, and a FLX28 Double vision. All tribeams.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:41 PM »
22 can be bought & they have a new tri beam that fixed all the issues works great. I run an FL18, FL20, FL22HD, and a FLX28 Double vision. All tribeams.

Well that’s good to hear!  Might be worth another look then!   I was really disappointed when the 22’s I had weren’t meeting my expectations...  I really like the idea of them. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:48 AM »
shallow water for me is where the marcums and birds trump the vexilars.   

having used most of them all at one point in time, the only time i got exactly what i wanted out of my vexilar was supressing a fl18 which means putting on a suppressor cable and turning on lp mode.  then i felt like i was getting what i wanted in 10' of water or more. 

with a fl8 or any other vexilar when you turn your gain to 0 you still see the bottom and usually anything (fish, structure, etc) beneath you which isn't a big deal unless you are in shallow water, your returns are huge which necessetates the suppression cable which helps a little but still not enough (was told an 18 would solve all this, but it was basically the same issue.  when i added the suppression cable to the 18, then i began to get the results i was after but it all seemed a bit ridiculous)

with the birds/marcums you can clear the screen by going to 0.  what that means is that in shallow water you can turn your gain up until you make out the composition and your jig is a thin yellow line.    in shallow water with the vexilars your small 3mm jig returns as a 1/4" thick mark and any fish seems like a monster. 

as i said, supressing the snot out of a vexilar will get you there but i think the others are better. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:49 AM »
oh and very few places allow you to sightfish in 4-7' of water.  most water i encounter is dirty/stained enough. 

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Leftover marcum vx1i off eBay or somewhere

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I think I would also go with a camera..they are so cool and cheaper than a flasher.....
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:56 PM »
On my second season with my fl 22, so far i really like it. the night mode comes in real handy with my old eyes! Vexilar came out with the flx12 and the flx20, i don't see the fl22 advertised anymore.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:00 PM »
like others said vexilar fl22 its made for shallow depths.i ran mine with a 12 degree last weekend in 5ft t0 10ft. no problems.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:09 PM »
FLX28
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:31 PM »
I can't speak from much experience but I do know the garmin sonars have a fully adjustable 16-24 degree beam, with 24 being the widest Ive seen yet. I would think hat beam width would be good for the shallows. Gt8if is the ducer and either the striker or echomaps have a flasher mode.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:45 PM »
I did this exact thing two weeks ago.  I was on a shallow lake and found big bluegills on a weedline in 6', so I turned the beam up to 24.  Had a blast.

I can't speak from much experience but I do know the garmin sonars have a fully adjustable 16-24 degree beam, with 24 being the widest Ive seen yet. I would think hat beam width would be good for the shallows. Gt8if is the ducer and either the striker or echomaps have a flasher mode.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.