Author Topic: gear box for clam conversion plate  (Read 2390 times)

Offline tbulhead

• IceShanty Rookie
gear box for clam conversion plate
« on: Nov 19, 2016, 07:28 PM »
My understanding is the gear box being made for the clam conversion plate is a 2:1 ratio while without the gear box the conversion plate is a 1:1 ratio.  I understand this allows augers larger than 6 inches to be used more successfully with the clam conversion plate.  Does this mean hole with a 5 or 6 inch auger can be drilled at twice the speed that they were before?  I would love to see a speed test of the conversion plate before and after with a 5 or 6 inch auger.

RallyGreen

Re: gear box for clam conversion plate
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2016, 07:32 PM »
I'm afraid it's the other way around, in that auger gear boxes are always reduction ratios, as it multiplies the torque delivered to the cutting bit. A 2:1 reduction ratio means your drill bit turns half the rpm of the power head, but delivers twice the torque.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2016, 07:37 PM »
My understanding is the gear box being made for the clam conversion plate is a 2:1 ratio while without the gear box the conversion plate is a 1:1 ratio.  I understand this allows augers larger than 6 inches to be used more successfully with the clam conversion plate.  Does this mean hole with a 5 or 6 inch auger can be drilled at twice the speed that they were before?  I would love to see a speed test of the conversion plate before and after with a 5 or 6 inch auger.

No. what the gear box does with the 2:1 ratio is it lets the drill turn 2 times to turn the auger once. that way it allows lower tourque drills to turn a larger auger. 

Offline Tedroost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Is this gear box recommended?  I just ordered the M18 and plan on putting a nils high velocity bit with a clam plate.  Is that the right bit if we are slowing things down?  Sorry for the hijack.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:50 PM »
You won't need gear reduction with the Milwaukee M-18 Fuel. 725 in/lb or 1200 in/lb. It makes plenty of torque to turn a 7" or 8" auger. You will want the Clam plate and extension.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2016, 10:37 AM »
I have the M 18 with the older style Clam plate. I have made adapters for my old hand augers, a 6''Mora and Nils 8in. I use the 6 for finding fish and also for fishing but if I prefer, I can quickly switch to the 8''Nils. And have had no problems so far.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:51 PM »
I have the M 18 with the older style Clam plate. I have made adapters for my old hand augers, a 6''Mora and Nils 8in. I use the 6 for finding fish and also for fishing but if I prefer, I can quickly switch to the 8''Nils. And have had no problems so far.

Lol I have a 6in lazer , and a 8in nils. I put an extensions on the nils for in the ice castle, and plan to leave it in there and use the 6 for the flip over.

Offline Holes-R-Us

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2016, 08:22 AM »
You won't need gear reduction with the Milwaukee M-18 Fuel. 725 in/lb or 1200 in/lb. It makes plenty of torque to turn a 7" or 8" auger. You will want the Clam plate and extension.

For the past couple seasons, I have been running the Milwaukee Fuel 2704-20 (which has 1200 in/lbs of torque) along with an 8-inch K-Drill and Clam conversion plate. I also have a K Drill 12-inch extension. This is a fantastic setup that will drill holes all-day long (literally). It excelled for weekly metro area fishing as well as trips to Mille Lacs, Red Lake and LOTW. Running the K Drill straight off the Milwaukee gets the job done. But, I have found that the Clam conversion plate is a great addition, particularly in cold weather. It can be cumbersome staying on the drill's trigger when it's 20-below and you have heavy mitts on.  Also, between cutting holes, the Clam plate holds the Milwaukee up off the ice so you're not lying your $200 drill in snow and slush.  The only time I had issues with this rig was on a trip to Lake Winnipeg. We had well over 40-inches of ice and sub-zero temps for most of the trip which affected the batteries on the Milwaukee. It was a struggle cutting holes in these conditions and I ended up switching over to the Jiffy propane for much of the trip. Admittedly, for 90% of situations, the Clam Conversion box is not needed. But, I ordered one anticipating it will help in these extreme conditions. Obviously I have not tried it out yet; we are months away from 40-inch ice. It will be some time before I know if this move pays off.
HAPINESS IS A DIRTY TRUCK AND SLUSHY SLED.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Please update your profile with your location! Thanks in advance and welcome to the site!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.