Author Topic: I finally bought an auger...went with the ion  (Read 3588 times)

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I finally bought an auger...went with the ion
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:38 PM »
have a 8 inch ion love it   thinging of getting the 10 inch bit for it
what is and what should never be

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:05 AM »
ION , got mine this year, love it sold my old jiffy

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:21 AM »
How are they when it comes to reopening old holes in a wheelhouse? May have to look into getting one before next year. I can here the wife yelling already!

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:00 PM »
No problem reopening them the next day out in the open. The only thing I would change is the color, ice buildup. Tried using spray, no change. The auger will be black for next year.

:tipup:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:55 AM »
After I bought my 6 inch K-Drill, I picked one up to see how heavy the Ion was.  Seemed to be about the weight of a gas one.  I decided to weigh the K. and found it to be 9.3# on my fish scale.  Now will have to see how much a hand one weighs ? 
Bud

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:07 PM »
bought the 10 inch bit  going to use it tomorrow  report on coming soon

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:36 AM »
I got to cut a few holes with the 8 inch model yesterday very nice auger. Ditto the comment on replacement/back up battery price,but I have not priced the higher amp hour power hand drill batteries so can not compare the Ion battery price to another battery. If you get thick ice on a regular basis in you area get the extension for the auger I' only 5"9" and had to bend over or bend at he knees to finish drilling holes. The lake I was fishing had 12 to 15 inches of ice.
Steve

Offline wackmaster308

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbabooey
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:12 PM »
wondering how many years the battery is gonna last.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Having worked in the Battery Charger industry for years, one thing I can say is; most batteries don't die on their own, they are murdered...

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Run it in reverse for a couple of seconds after you've punched through.  Sends all of the shaved ice back down the hole and scatters it away from the hole.
Or, if you really wanted to, you could rig up a way to use a Jiffy auger on the Ion power unit.  ??? ???

<{{{{{ °>

i have a 8 inch ion how do you get it to go in reverse   i tried pushing both black buttons on side of the handle  both make go forward

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Had it out earlier this week. 42 holes in 15 and 1/2 inches of ice and battery was dead.

Thought that was pretty damn good especially because it was about 5degrees out all day.

Very rare that I drill anymore than 15 holes a day when Im out by myself, but 42 holes was only because there were 4 of us and they all decided not to bring there augers because they wanted to try mine.

Can't complain one bit so far.

ps. watch out for the blade cover. went to take it off with gloves and it was semi frozen on there. so stupid me hits it with my palm and SLICE!!!!!!! there goes my gloves and my thumb. 12 stitches later, I was back out fishing.

Offline hard (water) luck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Having worked in the Battery Charger industry for years, one thing I can say is; most batteries don't die on their own, they are murdered...
   Having switched to a Strikemaster Electra last year--can you give some tips to extend the life of a battery-non ion. thanks

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:57 AM »
-can you give some tips to extend the life of a battery

Recharge after every use as soon as you can. Use a "Stepped" Charger for recharging your lead acid batteries. That is a charger that starts charging at 14.6V, then when fully charged drops to 13.2V. Most "Automatic" chargers charge at 13.8V constantly, which never fully charges a batter and is to high a voltage to leave on for long periods of time.

Offline hard (water) luck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:26 PM »
 thanks-- i'm using the charger that came with it --don't know if i can find the rating or not --recharge as soon as i get home and never longer than 24 hrs. per the manual--got 25 holes thru 12" of black ice and frozen snow with 8"blades before it started to slow down--very happy so far

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Welcome to the club. You'll never go back to gas.
That is the truth, mine not an Ion but I have been running electric for 7 seasons.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:04 PM »
bought the 10 inch bit  going to use it tomorrow  report on coming soon
I wish I saw your post before you bought the 10 inch bit...... first of all I absolutely love my Ion and very glad I bought it BUT not happy with the 10 inch bit at all. A different set of blades (ripper) and you have to constantly lift auger to take weight of the bit in order to cut through ice. The 10inch is just too much for the ion to handle. If your only going to drill a few holes everyday you can get by using the 10 inch but the Ion is so sweet with the 8 inch auger. I thought I would miss the 10 inch holes I was used to all these years but really I have gotten used to the 8 and it is plenty. I do still have the 10 inch bit but it will be my back up to the 8.
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:06 AM »
wish i had the 10 inch

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:08 AM »
put the 6" bit from my fin bore on the ion this weekend. Man did it rip through the holes quick. With the 8" i am used to the ion being a nice slow drill down. With the 6" it grabbed me by the b***s and took me down to the bottom of the ice right quick. It was a beautiful thing  ;D

Offline ajahrendt07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:16 AM »
I will throw a curve in here for you battery auger owners....For those that have experienced the lithium lazer, how does it compare to the ion.....battery life, holes per battery, drilling, etc...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I will throw a curve in here for you battery auger owners....For those that have experienced the lithium lazer, how does it compare to the ion.....battery life, holes per battery, drilling, etc...

The lithium lazer is slightly heavier, and with the strikemaster style handle feels more like an actual power auger and also, seems like it has a lot more power than the ION i tried.   Can't comment on battery life, etc, as I have yet to wear down the lithium lazer enough to experience any lag in drilling.   Drilled 15 holes over the course of a day through 18" of solid clear ice and had no perceivable slow down in battery power.

Offline Finatic607

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:20 PM »
I have been real happy with mine so far. I think keeping the battery warm helps a lot. I have had a few people impressed with how fast it cuts. I did pick up an Eskimo auger cover cheap on Ebay just as a added protection.

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Won't be anyone buying a strikemaster lithium lazer anyways. There is going to be a goverment recall on all augers anounced. Something with a bad rocker switch that can stick on. They have to design a new switch for them , they we all can buy new ones????? YAH like that will happen?/

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:14 AM »
have not used the strikemaster, but have seen it used. It does look to be faster/more powerful. But it is also a lot noisier. I love that my ion is pretty much as quite as my hand auger. The strikemaster makes a hell of a racket. Quieter than a gas auger, but still louder than I would want.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Truth be known it does not matter what you own, if you are happy with it.
My equipment serves me well and I do not have any thoughts on replacing it soon.
Pretty picky when I purchased my equipment and glad I bought what I got.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:12 AM »
The strikemaster makes a hell of a racket. Quieter than a gas auger, but still louder than I would want.

agree there, sounds like one of those old "power wheels"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.