Author Topic: Under ice bait keepers  (Read 1560 times)

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Under ice bait keepers
« on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:44 AM »
For those who have them, what kind of setups do you have for keeping bait at your bobhouse. Also how do you manage access to the keeper,? Thanks
Photos would be nice if available.

Merk

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Under ice bait keepers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:00 AM »

Look up Bottom Bucket if this link doesn't work. With some imagination you can use this concept with a variety of buckets. You just need a weight, flotation in the bucket, a piece of rope, and a broom stick with a hook on it. I use those tall plastic bait buckets with the screw on top but I've seen this work great with a floating mesh live well bait container too. This will save you a ton of money over a winter and you will never have to chisel a chain out of your hole again.

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Wow! Great topic.  I have been fighting a losing battle with bait for years.  I have a hard time finding large decoys for spearing and a harder time keeping them alive in a bucket from trip to trip.  I also hate waiting for the bait shop to open in the morning.  I don't live on a lake or put out a permanent shack for season to keep bait in the lake, but system like this I could get into.  Floating bucket, rope and weight to keep it in place, drop it down under the ice and mark it with the GPS for storage between trips.  Anyone else have photos or ideas to help?

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:02 AM »
It takes a little more weight than you might think as you can see in the Bottom Bucket video. If you have access to lead(decoy weights work great) melt them into a TEFLON cup cake tin and put an eye in it while its still hot. The lead REALLY sticks to a regular tin cup so be careful. Put a nut on the eyelet just to keep it from turning out easily.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:03 AM »
For use in my house on extended stays I made a bait keeper out of a 6"diameter piece of PVC about 2' long. I drilled holes in it the same as a bait bucket, with a cap on one end and a collar and threaded cap on the other.

I have a 6' rope on it and send it down with my bait under the house. The bait stays lively until gone and I also at times use it to keep canned beverages ice cold or whatever else needs chilling.

Nothing fancy, it cost pennies to make, and it works for me.

WS

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:11 AM »
You must leave your heat on? If not how do you keep the rope from freezing in?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I just use it in my sleeper house , when I am in it.

I am sure with modifications it could be utilized else where.

WS

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Back when fishing in southern Lake Champlain was good (40 years ago +) we used to stop at Yell's bait or Tykes and get a full cup or more of icicles.  We had a tough time keeping them alive until we got to the ice - a half hour drive further north.  A battery powered aerator took care of that.

We used summertime bait buckets with the removable inner.  As soon as we got on the ice, we drilled 3 overlapping holes - big enough for the floating inner bait bucket.  But before putting them in the water it was important to cool them down with a scoop of chips every few minutes.  The bait bucket stayed in the hole all day and we would ladle a few out into smaller buckets to carry around and service the tip ups.  Wasn't any trouble getting it out at the end of the day because the inner buckets (except for the galvanized ones) were tapered.

One memorable time, a friends galvanized bait container sank out of sight in about 20' of water as we were standing around jigging and waiting for flags.  He jigged a rapala down the hole for about a half an hour and finally brought it up - minus all the bait.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:24 PM »
What's a bobhouse?

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:43 PM »
we use a glass pickle jar [food service size] with small holes in the lid for fresh water flow,tied to 80# test mono line
lowered to the bottom of the lake to keep the fish in the area
the bait last for ever and its a blast watching pike play ''spin the bottle''trying to get at the bait  :roflmao:

SnoHam13

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:36 PM »
Frabill makes a live bait keeper that fits in a 8" hole. Gander Mountain. Com

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2014, 06:28 AM »
What's a bobhouse?

Another name for a fish house. Shanty, dark house, permanent, bobhouse.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.