Author Topic: tip ups for lake trout  (Read 3596 times)

Offline laketroutmaster14

• IceShanty Rookie
tip ups for lake trout
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:59 PM »
hey guys wondering how you all set up your tip ups for lake trout. im going Thursday on owasco lake central ny in aprox 170 feet of water so I have to keep that in mind. thnaks

Offline ICESPARKYGRISWOLD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tip ups for lake trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 10:36 PM »
I try to set my bait about 14"-20" below the ice. But you should use your flasher

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and the use of landing nets to complete the catch. Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water. An angler may operate no more than two lines, with or without rod, except that one person may operate up to three lines in freshwater; and each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both; and in addition, each line shall not exceed fifteen hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks. Snatching, lifting, hooking and use of tip-ups are not angling.

Please note: the definition of angling changed on August 17, 2011, to allow an angler to operate up to three lines in freshwater. Where ice fishing is permitted, 3 hand lines plus 5 tip-ups may be used.

From the New York Reg .. I had to check..  On Simcoe I start with a heavy Bell sinker a foot up from that on a three way Swivel  tie off a single small treble on a foot of leader then 10 feet up repeat and ten feet up repeat..   Bait all hooks starting with the bottom one as you lower them into the water. you get to the bottom and set your tip up with the bell just on bottom..  You have 40 feet covered..

If you hook a fish and pull past a hook have a friend cut the hook off so it is not pulled into you if the fish runs..

3 inch shiners

Good luck

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:59 AM »
I use  heritage tip up with Dacron line to a ball bearing swivel, 12 feet of 6# fluorocarbon leader to a #6 bait holder hook.   3 to 6 shiner or sucker or smelt depending on what's available and where I'm fishing.
Depth varies depending on location and type of bottom, as well as time of year.   I will start a foot or so off the bottom and work my way up the water column.
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:25 AM »
x  2

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I too am looking to make some changes for deep water tip-ups.  What I have isn't suiting me...barrel sinker above a barrel swivel with 3' leader of flouro to single hook with a line of pinched shot about 6" above the hook.    I've thought about the dropper weight to a three way but just figured it would hang up in the main line like my current rigging happens to do more than I care to have happen.  I want it to drop relatively fast.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chris Raymond

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Unless your fishing huge baits for giant lakers, I would never put my tipups for lakers anywhere NEAR the bottom.   the active fish tend to cruise from 5-10 feet off bottom to just under the ice.  In 160 FOW I wouldn't set anything deeper than 100' and most of my setups would be 10' down to 50' down.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Unless your fishing huge baits for giant lakers, I would never put my tipups for lakers anywhere NEAR the bottom.   the active fish tend to cruise from 5-10 feet off bottom to just under the ice.  In 160 FOW I wouldn't set anything deeper than 100' and most of my setups would be 10' down to 50' down.

Active fish around here typically keep within 5' - 10' of the bottom and bottom can be well north of 240' if you look for it but I try to keep shallower than 150' if I'm going for lakers.  Anything just under the ice will be salmon food if they happen to be cruising in the area.  Typically, I'll set my tip-ups for salmon and not deal with the deep stuff but I'm going to change things up a bit again this year.     
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.