Author Topic: 1lb propane tank warmer?  (Read 3583 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
1lb propane tank warmer?
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:23 PM »
My question is do the 1lb propane tank warmers actually work in extending the length of time you can get out of a 1lb cylinder on a heater.  The package says you can get up to 35% more time out of a tank before it runs out. 

thanks

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
Re: 1lb propane tank warmer?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:26 PM »
A heater for a heater sounds like a gimik to me
go hard or go home

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:29 PM »
I brought this subject up earlier, it got a BIG thumbs down.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:52 PM »
That would explain why there aren't many reviews to be found on the internet on them.  The idea of neoprene sleeves improving tank performance seemed like a long shot but I was hoping it would make a difference. 

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:09 PM »
A neoprene sleeve will not do anything unless you add a couple of chemical hand warmers to the mix inside the sleeve.   The gas will refrigerate itself as you draw it off and it will remain a liquid in the bottle if it gets cold enough.  Heat must be added to make it continue to work.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:51 PM »
It also depends on how cold your air temp is.  If your in -20 inside the hut then they will probably not give you the full pound.  But if your in 50 degrees with the heater on they will be just fine.
Don

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Same thing as a can coolie; once the can chills from the escaping gas, it'll just keep it cold. Like Bart said, they don't work.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:21 PM »
It also depends on how cold your air temp is.  If your in -20 inside the hut then they will probably not give you the full pound.  But if your in 50 degrees with the heater on they will be just fine.
You just don't get it.  it is not a heater it is an insulator.  The gas bottle is a refrigerator if you are using any gas.  Protecting that bottle with an insulating sleeve will only allow it to get colder still until it stops working.

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:07 PM »
You just don't get it.  it is not a heater it is an insulator.  The gas bottle is a refrigerator if you are using any gas.  Protecting that bottle with an insulating sleeve will only allow it to get colder still until it stops working.

I'm thinking his comment was for running it without any "insulator", and his comment then makes sense.

Burt :)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Someone should do a test.

2 people, 2 buddy heaters, same settings, 2 full tanks
1 with warmer.

see how long each lasts

Offline ND222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Someone should do a test.

2 people, 2 buddy heaters, same settings, 2 full tanks
1 with warmer.

see how long each lasts
Problem solved.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:04 PM »
You can take one of those hot hands packs that's made to stick to your socks -Toasty Toe's?- and stick it to the bottom of the cylinder to help get the last bit of fuel out if you feel the need.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:18 PM »
I thought about it to, then I realized that once the heater cooker got going, it tends to throw enough heat to keep the 1# semi warm so I thought it was pointless for the heater cooker.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:52 AM »

your right I don't get it.  :rolleyes:
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:55 AM »
My question is do the 1lb propane tank warmers actually work in extending the length of time you can get out of a 1lb cylinder on a heater.  The package says you can get up to 35% more time out of a tank before it runs out. 

thanks

a pound of propane has approximately 22,000 btu's.  I don't know how they are saying that same pound could get up to 29,700 btu's with just using their sleeve.

To me it sounds like snake oil in saying your car will get better fuel millage from putting these magnets on the fuel lines.
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.