Author Topic: Eskimo Z51  (Read 2820 times)

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Z51
« on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I just got this auger about a month ago and there is a black liquid coming out of the exhaust pipe i was just wondering is this is normal??

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Z51
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:55 PM »
that is normal with some 2 stroke oils especaly if mixed to rich.

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Oh ok thank you! I am using amsoil and mixed 50:1. So should i run maybe 60 or 70:1?

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:59 PM »
As Apope noted, that issue is typically associated with too rich of a mixture of oil to gas.

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Depends which Amsoil you are using.  For example, for Amsoil Saber, they note a 100:1 ratio for normal duty engines. 

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Im using the interceptor oil and it says 50:1 mix and so does my auger.  But if the liquid is due to to rich of a mixter will it effect the auger?

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:08 PM »
No just foul plugs and not run full performance

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:13 PM »
I just got this auger about a month ago and there is a black liquid coming out of the exhaust pipe i was just wondering is this is normal??

Do you keep it laying down alot?  If so open the vent.   That will help alot.   Dont run it any leaner than 50:1.  I had the same issue with mine. Turns out, due to laying it down, the gas seeaped into the aircleaner.  Cleaned it up, and keep the vent open, no more issues and it runs alot better!!
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Im using the interceptor oil and it says 50:1 mix and so does my auger.  But if the liquid is due to to rich of a mixter will it effect the auger?

Isn't that snowmobile oil?

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2013, 04:47 AM »
I have the same auger. Keep an eye on the gas line. Mine was 2 yrs old and the line rotted where the grommet is through the gas tank. The rest of the line was fine. Mine also has black coming out of the exhaust but never fouls any plugs.
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Ok thanks appleman i will  keep an eye out for that.  When you guys say keep the vent open do you mean the gas cap vent?  I do lay it down alot and i always have the gas cap up.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:15 PM »
You don't want to use the Interceptor oil, you want Saber.

http://www.oilsandlube.com/saber.htm

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:25 PM »
The oil isn't the issue.  It's just a normal two stroke, they have oil in the fuel and not all of it burns.  Like the other guys said, make sure you lay it down correctly so that the filter isn't getting saturated.  Also, hold er to the rugs more often!

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:56 PM »
z51 owners manual recommends 50:1

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Still wouldn't use the oil, it wasn't designed for a small 2-stroke.

I do, however, think I have the answer to the problem......

It didn't occur to be at first because I use the Saber oil at about 80:1, and it is synthetic (not black...).  I assume you are using the non-synthetic Interceptor? 

Anyway, your issue is that you are priming the auger with the choke on.  With the choke on there is no gas from priming getting into the carb, so it is getting soaked up as much as possible from the air filter.  When priming, always make sure it is in the run position.

Open the air filter door, take out the filter and with paper towels soak up all the 2-stroke gas it has in it.  While it is out, check out what I am saying ~ you'll see that in the choke position that gas won't get in when priming.

Easy fix  ;D

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Ok thanks appleman i will  keep an eye out for that.  When you guys say keep the vent open do you mean the gas cap vent?  I do lay it down alot and i always have the gas cap up.

Yes.  open the vent on the gas cap.  The fuel will build pressure with the vent closed.  Also, if the auger is put up for a couple days or so, i recommend standing it upright. ( eskimo will tell you the same).
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline Collierscc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:06 PM »
good answer Sinnian.
I have had the same issue and  will be sure to take the advice.

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:22 AM »
I always make sure that the choke is in the run position when im priming it.  I just got the auger a few weeks ago and idk it eskimo messed up and put the wrong gas cap on or something but the gas cap that came with the auger does not have a vent screw? Im at college and i have it laying down in my car all the time so that could be the problem i dont really have any other choice but to lay it down.

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I always make sure that the choke is in the run position when im priming it.  I just got the auger a few weeks ago and idk it eskimo messed up and put the wrong gas cap on or something but the gas cap that came with the auger does not have a vent screw? Im at college and i have it laying down in my car all the time so that could be the problem i dont really have any other choice but to lay it down.

If nothing else, open the gas cap just a bit, till it starts to get loose.  You have a eskimo shark Z51 and it doesnt have a screw in the top of the gas cap?  Can you maybe post a pic of the cap you have?  Im curious..... ???
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Mine has the Vent screw. It wont start if I keep it closed.
<===Lefty===

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:59 PM »
I also have a z51,i store it standing up most of the time,unless i'm on the ice or going fishing again soon,i have no problems with it .prime it like was said earlier with the choke off turn the choke on and it should start in 2-3 pulls.i do it just like it says on the air cleaner cover.hope this helps,good luck. ;D

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:15 PM »
The gas cap is like the one I also have I think. It is considered a vented cap I think as I don't have to adjust anything on it. I had the one with the s crew on my old singer and if I didn't have it tight when opened it would vibrate closed and kill the engine.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:55 PM »

If nothing else, open the gas cap just a bit, till it starts to get loose.  You have a eskimo shark Z51 and it doesnt have a screw in the top of the gas cap?  Can you maybe post a pic of the cap you have?  Im curious..... ???

Come on fellas...that's a self venting cap!  If you look closely, it has a little hole in the top and if you open it up there's a little check valve inside.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:45 AM »
I hate to see misinformation propagate...

The name "Primer" on newer 2-strokes is a bit of a misnomer.  It does not inject fuel directly into the carburetor or intake for combustion.  It functions as a purge pump.  It is designed to pull fuel through the carburetor and return it to the tank.  It basically fills the fuel supply line and metering chamber and returns the rest to the tank.  It gets the air out of the system and gets it ready to run.  It makes absolutely no difference wether you pump the purge pump with the choke open or closed.

To the OP.  Totally normal.  Don't worry about it even a little bit.  Just wipe it off with a rag every now and then.  It makes no difference what oil you use.  I have personally used everything from the OEM oil to the Wal-mart stuff.  I've settled on Amsoil Sabre at 80:1 and still get the drip.  Think about it, that's the stuff that is lubricating your engine.  If you don't see it, your engine is not being properly lubricated.  If it all gets "burnt off"  what's left to protect your engine?

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:07 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replys!  And JimQ that does make sense.

Offline jamesville54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:55 AM »
it should be fine unless you get lots of leaking, then have it checked out.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:22 PM »
I hate to see misinformation propagate...

The name "Primer" on newer 2-strokes is a bit of a misnomer.  It does not inject fuel directly into the carburetor or intake for combustion.  It functions as a purge pump.  It is designed to pull fuel through the carburetor and return it to the tank.  It basically fills the fuel supply line and metering chamber and returns the rest to the tank.  It gets the air out of the system and gets it ready to run.  It makes absolutely no difference wether you pump the purge pump with the choke open or closed.

I hate to see misinformation propagate too...

You are totally wrong in regards to the Viper engine.  If you own one, take off the air filter, put the lever on choke, and prime it ~ see what happens (graba towel!)!

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:16 AM »

You are totally wrong in regards to the Viper engine.  If you own one, take off the air filter, put the lever on choke, and prime it ~ see what happens (graba towel!)!

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong and I know it wont be the last but Im not convinced Im wrong about this one yet.

Fuel leaking from your carb would indicate to me that there may be something wrong with your fuel system.

I believe the carb on the viper engines is a clone of the Walbro WYK. For that matter, If you ever need to rebuild the carb, you can save yourself some $$ and use Walbro kit (K13-WYK) instead of the kit from Ardisam.  Take a look at this link.    Its the Walbro Sevrice Manual.  Find the part regarding the WYK. Starts on page 26 and goes from there.   Does this look like your carb?

http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/ServiceManual.pdf

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong and I know it wont be the last but Im not convinced Im wrong about this one yet.

Fuel leaking from your carb would indicate to me that there may be something wrong with your fuel system.

I believe the carb on the viper engines is a clone of the Walbro WYK. For that matter, If you ever need to rebuild the carb, you can save yourself some $$ and use Walbro kit (K13-WYK) instead of the kit from Ardisam.  Take a look at this link.    Its the Walbro Sevrice Manual.  Find the part regarding the WYK. Starts on page 26 and goes from there.   Does this look like your carb?

http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/ServiceManual.pdf

It isn't leaking from the carb if it is primed with the choke off, because the gas is NEVER getting in there.  It builds up in the air filter until it is saturated, and starts to "leak" ~ which isn't really a correct term, more of leach out. 

I know this issue from experience  ;)2

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:35 AM »

I just felt the need to fess up...

You sir, are correct.  I was wrong.

Today I had the opportunity to see what you were talking about.

On the Viper "winter" engines, they loop the return hose from the purge pump back into the air cleaner and squirt fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor.

On standard Viper engines, they return the output of the purge pump back to the fuel tank.

I stand corrected and apologize for the "misinformation" 

;D

Q

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.