Author Topic: What is it about icefishing that is so great?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is it about icefishing that is so great?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Bean Counter and Ranger Bound summed up my feelings.

In the spring when I'm standing on shore, all I can think is "I want to fish over THERE!"  But I can't get "there".  :'(

Plus, I'm very fashionable in my red and black checked woolies. Redneck Chic, I call it.  ;D

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #61 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Mr old goat i could not of thought of a better answer than that.   right on

I was gonna say the same thing. So I am saying the same thing !
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:55 PM »
The whole experience is great. nothing at all can compare to this sport.

but i think the best part is the time it takes you to get to that flag...
your mind, and probably heart, are racing until you get to the hole.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:48 PM »
honestly for me i dont know what it is, but i love it and i can not get enough of it.  i really dont fish much ever during the summer.  maybe once or twice, but when the ice comes i cant get enough.  wierd i guess but i cant explain it.

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #64 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I love ice fishing becuase the Doctor Mcgillicudie's goes down nice and smooth..............

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:47 PM »
The hiss of the heater, the soft glow of the Showdown, the quiet, but mostly working the puzzle.

Offline Time on the Water Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:25 PM »
In Ontario ice fishing is the only growing segment of fishing. We asked the same question on the Simcoe board a few years ago and the growth seems to be coming from younger anglers. The portability, new electronics, and all the toys make it more fun and interesting. Watching a laker skyrocket off the bottom then making it chase a lure 40 ft off bottom and see it happen on an LCD sceen at the same time you feel the wieght  is much like playing a video game.

You can walk out with friends to the middle of a lake that simply isn't accessable through the summer with no boat. There's a better sense of community on the ice. Other than thin ice it doesn't have the restrictions the soft water season does. It's affordable at some level for everyone.

That's what I like about the hard water season.
*REMOVED*

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #67 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:44 PM »
I love ice fishing for so many reasons!  The main reason though is because for us it is such a social form of fishing.  We make plans to meet up with friends, bring food to share, and sit around just discussing anything that comes to mind all while waiting for the flags to start flying!  My son and I fish all year long, but you know that ice season means something special when you are out on a lake in the middle of July and your kid turns around in the boat and says, "I can't wait until this place is covered in ice!" 
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #68 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:22 AM »
It's the only place noone questions my fashion choice of blue plaid, fur lined bomber hat

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Why would they question ya? Those are looks of sheer respect!! Envy!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I love the hush that settles over the lake right at Twilight.  Wind settles down, sky gets that purple glow.  And you KNOW that some pigs are right up next to the shore waiting for my perfectly jigged spoon!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #71 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:26 AM »
It's the only place noone questions my fashion choice of fur lined, blue plaid, fur lined bomber hat
Same here. My son has a Mad Bomber hat that he won't wear and we gave him a nice warm vest that he took back because it made him "look bulky". I asked him where being fashionable has anything to do with ice fishing since there don't seem to be many young ladies on the ice where I go. Maybe he will change now that he has been married for almost a year.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #72 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:36 AM »
He will. About the time the wife starts looking "bulky".  :roflmao: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Same here. My son has a Mad Bomber hat that he won't wear and we gave him a nice warm vest that he took back because it made him "look bulky". I asked him where being fashionable has anything to do with ice fishing since there don't seem to be many young ladies on the ice where I go. Maybe he will change now that he has been married for almost a year.  ;D

I got one like that ice dawg.  One of the great joys God has given me, is seeing him freeze his @$$ off in his fancy clothes.  Thank you Lord. ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #74 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:16 PM »
He will. About the time the wife starts looking "bulky".  :roflmao: :roflmao:
She was "bulky" when they got married. It seems he likes em with junk in the trunk. Now he gets to watch her grow.  :o ;D ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #75 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:20 PM »
I got one like that ice dawg.  One of the great joys God has given me, is seeing him freeze his @$$ off in his fancy clothes.  Thank you Lord. ;D
I don't think he will ever have to worry about gaining weight while on the ice. He's too busy shivering. He also likes to make arrangements to go ice fishing with me and then show up four hours late. This usually requires him to make a call to find out where I'm at. ;D

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Wow, everything said x1! Plus two other things for me........ when the wife goes its some of the few times we are actually alone thought out the year and well, its like being kids again. Laughing and joking and all. Like falling in love all over again. 2nd, my youngest son and me DO NOT GET ALONG, EVER! haven't for years, but for some unknown reason we go ice fishing once a year together, and for 8 or 10 hours a year, we are the best of friends. We are the ultimate father and son team! Sorry so mushy.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Nov 02, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I don't think he will ever have to worry about gaining weight while on the ice. He's too busy shivering. He also likes to make arrangements to go ice fishing with me and then show up four hours late. This usually requires him to make a call to find out where I'm at. ;D
sounds a little 'fancy' for ice fishing...at least he likes girls  ;)
Tight lines

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 02, 2011, 03:38 PM »
 Cold mornings, 4 wheelers, strikemaster augers, hum of the vex`s, smell of coffee and hot choclate. Watching my 10 and 13 year old boys cleaning their own holes, setting their own gear, dropping in their transducers to "jig em up". The best days of my life, wish it could be everyday.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Wow, everything said x1! Plus two other things for me........ when the wife goes its some of the few times we are actually alone thought out the year and well, its like being kids again. Laughing and joking and all. Like falling in love all over again. 2nd, my youngest son and me DO NOT GET ALONG, EVER! haven't for years, but for some unknown reason we go ice fishing once a year together, and for 8 or 10 hours a year, we are the best of friends. We are the ultimate father and son team! Sorry so mushy.
love this thread, god speed

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:38 PM »
Solitude.....I love night icing and having the place to myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.