Author Topic: Help Finding Dropper Rig Parts  (Read 3577 times)

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help Finding Dropper Rig Parts
« on: Nov 06, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I'd like to build up a bunch of dropper rigs.  Instead of using split rings to attach the rig to the spoon and/or the hook to the rig, I'd like to use clips.  I've seen small clips on Hali droppers.  Any one know where to find these little clips?

Thanks,

Q

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Help Finding Dropper Rig Parts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 03:51 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp ?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20293_TGP&id=0011851110700a&navCount=1&podId=0011851&parentId=cat20293&masterpathid=&navAction=push&
catalogCode=IK&rid=&parent
Type=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

If you get these in the SMALL size, they are pretty tiny.  I have used them to change up ice jigs and droppers in the past.  I wonder if you could figure out a way to attach them to the chain rig and then clip them to the spoon?

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Northland has a pretied dropper set up,. looks to be mono instead of chain. I belive hali sells extra chain rigs also.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Northlands mono dropper setup is crappy IMO with those clips on it. Those clips that insearchofperch posted up will work good but I'd use a small pliers to unclip them as they can be a little tough to remove without messing them up.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Northlands mono dropper setup is crappy

I disagree, I use both northlands single hook and trebel hook droppers and really like them. I always have extras on hand. I lile the shorter version over the longer one.

do they break off, yeah on occassion, but for me they get the job done and are easy to clip off and on while on the ice

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2009, 04:43 PM »
If your using them for perch, I dont like a mono dropper.  In my opinion, its the flash and also the ultra multi direction that the chain just swings back and forth that attracts the perch.  Each time you move it, the chain swings and bends different directions.  Mono just tends to swing out and thats it. 

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Northland uses sleeves instead of knots and they stick out like a sore thumb. There junk and I cut mine up for parts. Buy the clips, hooks and mono and tie your own, your much better off.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2009, 05:13 PM »
I've never seen the northland rigs up close, I only noticed them during my online shopping. I to would personally make my own that way I know what I have, but instead of mono I'd use flourocarbon. That way if I broke off I could only blame myself. I also tie all my worm harnesses for walleye trolling. I have much more confidence in my workmanship than Tan Wangs' and I can customize my setups as conditions call for.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2009, 04:44 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp ?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20293_TGP&id=0011851110700a&navCount=1&podId=0011851&parentId=cat20293&masterpathid=&navAction=push&
catalogCode=IK&rid=&parent
Type=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

If you get these in the SMALL size, they are pretty tiny.  I have used them to change up ice jigs and droppers in the past.  I wonder if you could figure out a way to attach them to the chain rig and then clip them to the spoon?

Perfect.  Thanks very much!

Q

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Check these out.  These look nice.  I wonder what size would be best.  Anybody know?

Thanks,

Q

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/clip/page/1/id/2321/name/StringeaseFastachMultiUseClip

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2009, 04:47 PM »
They are a little long IMO but if you want to try them I would get the smallest size 0 which is 15lb. A 15lb rating will be plenty.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Thanks very much.  Saw them using them on the Ice Guide the other day and thought they looked pretty slick.  They took the treble off the spoon and put a minnow head down over the shank of the hook.  Then just clipped it back on the spoon.  Looked like a pretty good idea.

Q

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Northland also sells the clips they use on their pretied droppers.  The clips are similar to the Cabelas ones mentioned.

Northland droppers have too heavy of line for the fishing I do for crappies and gills.

I tie 2"-3" droppers using 2# or 3# fluoro and either plain hooks or tiny jigs.  I use the northland clips to attach to the  spoon or jigging rap.  I can then easily change from jig to jig or to a bare hook without having to retie any droppers.

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I don't know about the quality of these but I bought some droppers the other day at the Sports Authority made by some company with the word action in their name. They were built a lot like Hali droppers with the clips and chain and a size 10 or 12 hook with glow paint on them. They also sold smaller treble hooks with the glow paint but not on droppers. They were in packs of two and I paid 27 cents per pack and bought about 5 packages. They seemed to be a clearance item left over from last year so I'm not sure if they are available everywhere.

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Check these out.  These look nice.  I wonder what size would be best.  Anybody know?

Thanks,

Q

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/clip/page/1/id/2321/name/StringeaseFastachMultiUseClip

Size 0 and Size 1.  I use size 1 for most stuff, which gives about 1/2" of separation from the spoon to the hook.  Size 0 is just a hair smaller than them.  They don't give you the freedom of motion that a Hali dropper chain gives you, but it's not bad.   
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:44 PM »
They are called no knot fas snaps. I bought the small ones from Cabelas and they are really small. I don't think you could fit more than 12lb line though the eye. I made up a bunch of chain hooks with them.

Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Just curious where you find the chain? I would consider making my own as well if I could find some chain as I don't like mono or flouro.for this purpose.

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:46 AM »
I bought my chain on ebay from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-ft-Ultra-FINE-TINY-black-chain-perfect-G-scale_W0QQitemZ150391023848QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item230400e8e8

I put it on a scale and it broke at about 12lb's. It's pretty darn small so you have to have good eyes to use it.
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:59 AM »
medium fas snaps and 8# floro!!!!! takes sum time but rather make my own. to many brake offs and not enough bait action with thin chain. just my .02

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Jasonb
Thanks for the Ebay link, I've been looking for small chain for a long time. The Hali's are way too pricey for me and the mono just doesn't jiggle enough for me.
Thanks again
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:22 AM »
Just curious where you find the chain? I would consider making my own as well if I could find some chain as I don't like mono or flouro.for this purpose.
   MaineFishah, check out jewelry dept. @ Michaels or Craftmania;That's where I get mine.....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.