Author Topic: Keeping large fish.  (Read 3590 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: Keeping large fish.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:10 PM »
I rarely catch fish...even if I wanted to keep them!

*Small fish aren't worth the effort of cleaning.
*Average fish I keep if I'm catching enough of 'em to justify the effort of cleaning
*Large fish don't taste as good. Also, some larger species contain toxins I'd rather not feed my family, even if the recommend 1 meal/wk. + Someones kid might catch a trophy someday and learn the importance of a clean, sustainable environment because of my decision. It's really a win, win, win in my book!

There's been a lot of talk about pressure to Catch 'n Release. Well, smoking is legal and a personal choice as well. I have -no- problem telling friends and family to stop.  Likewise, I have no problem telling anyone on this board how I feel about catch and release. You can decide for yourself what you do/feel about it. No harm in the discussion! :)

Honestly though, my decision to keep/not keep fish is more about my own laziness and taste than it is a concern over any particular fishery. Benefiting the fishery is just added benefit to my laziness!  ;D

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:39 PM »
i believe in catch in release in my frying pan. my grandpa was the same way. if the fish is legal its goes home with me. the only way that i will throw a fish back is after i get my limit, or if it is to small. It don't matter to me what the species. fish taste great. but its up to the indivual in rather or not they keep it or not.

Right on brother. Fish are great to eat, and as long as we keep legal fish we are not hurting the fishery. I keep most legal fish that I catch because I love to eat fish. These C 'n' R only freaks on here should not make you hesitate to keep all the fish you want.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:10 PM »
I have never sat down to a nice Largemouth Bass deep fry, but it sounds kinda good. Anyone else like eating largemouth? What are your favorite recipes?

DIP EM' DROP EM IN OIL, WAIT A FEW MIN, FLIP EM!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: or Baked in the oven with fresh lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and a few pats of butter on top. Big white flakey goodness all the way, but I still prefer a good piece of flounder and rarely keep the freshwater fish I catch..... "Not that theirs anything wrong with that".....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.