Author Topic: Keeping large fish.  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Grush

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping large fish.
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been reading a bit and notice that a lot of folks catch and release which is a great thing but I do have a question about this.

At what point is it okay to keep a fish?  I don't really like eating fish much myself but my folks love it.  They take all the fish I get and usually end up frying it up the same day.

I mostly go for panfish but lately started to play with tipups going to eyes or northerns.

So my question is, at what size are they okay to keep and at what size should they be released to be caught by someone else?

Thanks,

Grush.

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keeping large fish.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:48 AM »
my method for big fish is don't keep Small ones and don't keep the huge ones i keep the average size whatever that may be for your water

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:51 AM »
Oh nooooooo here we go again!  :o

Seriously this depends on the individual and the region of the country you live in. As long as you are abiding by the regs you should do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't let others pressure you to release a fish if you don't want to. I'm into catch and release and keep, but personally I think the catch and release thing has gotten out of hand with people scolding people for keeping bass for instance. Many people release fish when in reality they probably had some of them swim off to die later which is a waste of a resource IMHO.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Grush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Oh lordie,

I didn't mean to stir up anything.  I was just wondering if there was some rule of thumb.

Grush.

Offline Nick94

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA MapMan
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:00 AM »
i agree that it is really a personal preference. during winter i keep larger gills, perch 9+ inches (normally).  during openwater i keep fish that are either normal, injured (gill hooked, etc).  but if i catch a giant, it may go on the wall :D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:01 AM »
I love eating fish so I keep whatevers legal.  I usually release my pike, unless I ripp their gills up and they bleed.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Like what was said before.. I don't fish for bass, but for walleye and pike, the really big ones should go back. Unless you keep an occasional one for the wall. Keep the medium sized ones. The little ones, especially pike, are a pain in the but to fillet anyways.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I have a rule of thumb that I use all of the time. I keep the ones that I want to keep and I don't tell anyone else what I decided to keep. This way the only person that I have to worry about is myself. Stay within the regulations and you should be fine with whatever you do. It really isn't a moral thing when it comes to this. I know a guy that is always bragging that he won't shoot a deer unless it is a buck with at least four points on a side. I like venison and if I can find a nice fat tender doe she is in my freezer. If you can live with what you want to keep, the heck with everyone else.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline podunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:08 AM »
i believe in catch in release in my frying pan. my grandpa was the same way. if the fish is legal its goes home with me. the only way that i will throw a fish back is after i get my limit, or if it is to small. It don't matter to me what the species. fish taste great. but its up to the indivual in rather or not they keep it or not.
US Marine Infantrymortarman

Offline Grush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:10 AM »
My man ice dawg!

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I just didn't really know if there was something I was missing.

All I can say is if I catch it and it is legal my parents are having a fish fry! lol

Thanks for the help!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Grush, I don't put much stock in what others have decided is right. I know what is legal and I decide what goes home with me. So far I have been on one of the local lakes about five times this winter and have only caught dinks that I didn't want to clean. I would like to get on some of the lakes in NE SD and try the fishing if I can get over that way. If ya lived closer I would invite ya over here to catch some for the pan. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline FishMich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:21 PM »
If it's a legal fish I wouldn't feel guilty about keeping it. I normally only keep fish through the ice  for eating
just seems firmer and better tasting. If you think it should go back it's all good.

Offline shydanQc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:38 PM »
For me the rules are simple, first how much do you have in the cooler at home (ex. i have 3 lunch for 4 of pike) that means I'll do some catch and release (but if I catch a trophy for sure I'll keep it for my wall and even if i don't have some to eat the small one are back in the water)
Same for all species

ShydanQc
Live to Fish, Fish to live !!!  8)
Born to be Fisherman !!! :icefish:
No weather will stop us !! :nono:
Only our wifes  :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Personally I like the really big and old ones because they are already tenderized and stewing in their own jucies.   ;D

Seriously, I keep averaged sized fish for the lake I'm fishing.

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I keep anything over 10" for perch, Northerns I've thrown back some that weight 15 lbs. If I caught a 20lb. it would go on the wall. Eyes anything over 20" I keep. To good of eating to throw back.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2009, 03:05 PM »
I don't eat fish so everything I catch goes back. I am however waiting for my first pike which, if big enough, will go on the wall.

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I'm normally catch and release, but I'm thinking before the ice goes away I'm going to keep a few perch and try out my fileting skills. 

I think i'd have a tough time keeping a monster unless I knew it was a local/state record.  Having pictures is enough for me 8)

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I like to keep a few Walleye for the freezer normally average size. Anything else I will let go unless it's Huge or have a close friend that wants to try one, so I can get them into fishing. It's always wise to bring a camera to show off the fish that you release. It make me feel good to let some go for another day. It should be whatever makes you happy.

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Some people see it the same way as deer hunting(if its brown its down)!!!!!!
But why not let the deer grow a couple of years. you get a bigger rack, and more venision when you let them grow. Well i see it "ALMOST" the same way with fish. "If you pass up some of the smaller ones you may get a wall mounter."Anyway the smaller fish taste better!!!!!! :P

Offline palmer437

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:41 PM »
if they are tiney, i throw 'em back...if they are avg and i'm catchin enough for a meal...i keep 'em....if they are large and i have a pile already(hardly ever have that happen) then i keep 'em.  But if i catch a large one and have nothing else to go with it i throw it back, its a possibility its a good breeded fish, and they are the reason we keep on catchin 'em....but its all preference

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:51 PM »
i normally catch quite a few BIG northern during the winter. I allow my self to keep 1 fish over 36". Caught quite a few over 40" in my life but never put one on the wall. But its what ever the fisherman or fisherwomen wants to eat or mount.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:54 PM »
everything in moderation. you HAVE to take big ones as well as take the dinks. once you take a big one, the next in line will replace it. Otherwise you'll get a lake that has stunted growth.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline palmer437

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:17 PM »
just remember also....survival of the fittest....most lakes and ponds have predator fish...if you mostly fish for panfish just about every lake has some kind of fish that will feed on them, so if your not sure wether or not to throw it back...if you do natural ways will take it...wether it is big or small.  and the bigger they are the easier to fillet them

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:45 PM »
for gills my thumb to pinky, for crapps 10"+ for walleye 15" to 22" bigger than that ewwey, pike anything under 28", catfish 15+ and dont eat bass...

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:46 AM »
for gills my thumb to pinky, for crapps 10"+ for walleye 15" to 22" bigger than that ewwey, pike anything under 28", catfish 15+ and dont eat bass...
I'm about the same as far as the lengths go & what I keep. But, there are some exceptions. Bleeders for example. As Long as they are all legal. And I do eat White bass("stripers") & the occasional crappie sized smallmouth.
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I have a rule of thumb that I use all of the time. I keep the ones that I want to keep and I don't tell anyone else what I decided to keep. This way the only person that I have to worry about is myself. Stay within the regulations and you should be fine with whatever you do. It really isn't a moral thing when it comes to this. I know a guy that is always bragging that he won't shoot a deer unless it is a buck with at least four points on a side. I like venison and if I can find a nice fat tender doe she is in my freezer. If you can live with what you want to keep, the heck with everyone else.  ;)

Perfect answer right there
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Keep whatever you are going to eat and throw the rest back... I don't usually keep any of the larger fish I catch because I believe they don't taste as good as the medium sized ones.  Usually I will just snap a picture and send it back.  I have yet to keep anything for the wall but if it is a monster I might consider it.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:30 PM »
I have never sat down to a nice Largemouth Bass deep fry, but it sounds kinda good. Anyone else like eating largemouth? What are your favorite recipes?
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:46 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) KEEP em  8) 8) 8)  I eat venison while I'm ice fishing and fry fish when I'm deer processing !   8) 8) 8) 8)
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:00 PM »
A true monster would have to go back (ie; Dottie) for the genetics. After pics of course. MNSportsman would probably agree.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.