Author Topic: anyone know how to sharpen a shovel style auger?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline robertjp1

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone know how to sharpen a shovel style auger?
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:35 PM »
I found an old shovel style auger in the basement but its real dull. Any ideas how to sharpen? Do these things work? Thanks

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
Re: anyone know how to sharpen a shovel style auger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:45 PM »
theres a reason no one uses them...they stink....but if its absolutely all you have....I use to use one 30 years ago...they will put a hole in the ice but wow...you'll get a work out :o...sorry not sure how to sharpen them...maybe that was part of my problem... ;D
Duane

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I got one for Christmas when I was about 15. It was so bad the other fishermen on Sylvan felt sorry for me and drilled some holes for me.  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:48 PM »
if you plan on sitting in one spot it will work great...but if you plan on moving a bunch you are going to be hating the thing after about 3 holes.

i have one that my grandpa had laying around for about 30 years, he got a grinder out and sharpend from the inside toward the edge. it cuts the ice but it cuts really really fine each turn, it doesn't dig in at all just spins on the ice and shaves it.

jt

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:57 PM »
theres a reason no one uses them...they stink....but if its absolutely all you have....I use to use one 30 years ago...they will put a hole in the ice but wow...you'll get a work out :o...sorry not sure how to sharpen them...maybe that was part of my problem... ;D
yup, i was thinkin the same thing stag. maybe best to shine it up real pretty    and hang it above the fireplace mantel at the moose lodge ;)

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:01 PM »
yup, i was thinkin the same thing stag. maybe best to shine it up real pretty    and hang it above the fireplace mantel at the moose lodge ;)
now thats an idea...prob more useful there.... :laugh:
Duane

Offline robertjp1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:04 PM »
OK thanks I get the drift. Thats as far as I go with that hunk of Sh*%. Let it rust some more.BP

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:05 PM »
i keep one in my perm and it works slick when trying to re drill the holes other than that not much good...

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:19 PM »

Antique? You sure know how to make a guy feel old.  :'( :(
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I'm 60 and used one for more years than I care to remember........and literally cut thousands of holes with them.  Are they as good as the newer augers, no....but they sure as heck beat a spud...........

As for sharpening them, put them in a vise and use a regular sharpening stone like you use on a knife.  Work from the inside of the spoon to the outside.  You'd be surprised how much you can cut with one when its as sharp as a knife.  Would I give up a screw auger to use one no but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use one.  I have one right now in the shed that was purchased in the 60s......still good as new.....heck it still has the blade protector on it.....gonna be worth a million one of these days.........lmao...

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Antique? You sure know how to make a guy feel old.  :'( :(
no harm intended taxi. i'll turn 50 in 12 and a half months so i can't be too far behind ya . if indeed i am :P

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I think I'd start by buying one of the newer corkscrew type. ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:38 PM »
no harm intended taxi. i'll turn 50 in 12 and a half months so i can't be too far behind ya . if indeed i am :P

No problem I was just kidding. I just turned 51 last month. It's true though as you get older the times goes faster.  :(

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I've actually used one that cut like a dream.  I would have taken it over a screw auger any day.  But, I have also cut with some that were absolute junk.  I really think there is some magic to sharpening them.  Some older guys have told me that they could be sharpened perfectly by the right person but I have yet to see that person.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:48 PM »
I found an old shovel style auger in the basement but its real dull. Any ideas how to sharpen? Do these things work? Thanks

Don't toss it. I have had mine for 30 years. When I was younger I had drilling races and won most against the spiral drills. I got mine sharpened at New England sharpening service in Nashua NH. About $15 plus shipping. Had a tough time finding someone. Got a power machine so didn't use for a few years. But found a pond that doesn't allow anything power so I had to dig it out. I never had any luck doing it myself.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:33 PM »
take it to a shop and let the pro's handle it...  I have used one several times and these are not nearly as useless as the other board bro's say.  once that spoon is sharp those things chew up the ice as well as any other hand style auger...
l

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I had one of those ice augers too.  It worked well.  The great thing was that I could redrill the old holes and save time.  I sharpened mine with a semi-round file and finished it with an old semi-round stone.  The better the edge, the better it will cut holes.  The whole edge must be super sharp.  Any dullness on the blade will slow the process.  You do not need much muscle to make a hole with these augers but they are slower than the 2 bladed augers.

Another nice thing with these spoon type augers is the fact that you can remove the ice shavings from the hole with the auger itself.

Yes....99% of the sharpening is done on the inside edge.  The outside edge can be touched up with a stone to remove the "kerf" but be careful to not destroy the edge because you will have to start sharpening the inside all over again.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:48 AM »
I still have mine & use it mostly at early ice. I keep it honed with a curved stone like you would use for a woodworking "gouge" chisel. Had it for years, still cuts fine for me.
Here is a pic of mine, for those that have never seen one.

And a close up of the blade
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Send it to budd hull at iceaugers.com. He sharpened mine for 20 years till i finally bought a lazer. They may not be the fastest but when sharp they will drill a hole just fine.

If the auger is sharp you also end up with an ice core to play with on the ice :) :)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:07 AM »
I still have mine & use it mostly at early ice. I keep it honed with a curved stone like you would use for a woodworking "gouge" chisel. Had it for years, still cuts fine for me.
Here is a pic of mine, for those that have never seen one.

(Image removed from quote.)

And a close up of the blade
(Image removed from quote.)

Yep....exactly like the one I had.  Thanks for the photo....brings back good memories.  One thing for sure, they are not as fragile as the ones with the 2 blades.  They can be sharpened right there on the spot.  I'm sorry I gave mine away.  They are much lighter than the newer style augers too.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I have one like that also,a real pain when they are dull but when sharp cut pretty well.I also have a 4" cup spoon that has angled edges.Need to dig them out and sharpen them up just for the heck of it..

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Got a Dremel. Sharpen it like a chisel for a lathe, with just a little drag on the back side. With the Dremel it only takes a few minutes, and  it's to small to do a lot of damage like your grinder can. Good luck.

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:01 AM »
I have an 8" spoon auger, when sharp it works fine. I use one of those round, stick like sharpeners with the diamond in it. Works for me.
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:23 AM »
my dad sharpens his with a rounded stone and finishs with a dimemond stone. they have to be razor sharp if you can't shave your arm it to dull. the biggest mistake wih them is if you drop them in the hole it rounds the cutting edge. getting the right edge makes or breaks it.I was lectured as a kid about banging it on ice to get ice off it. theres a time and use for them and would be lost with out it.
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.