The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: WHERE ARE ALL THE REPORTS?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
WHERE ARE ALL THE REPORTS?
« on: Jan 11, 2023, 08:15 PM »
where are all the reports? i see reports on face book,western/north western pa no reports.thanks in advance for your reports,gas still to expensive to ride around :'(
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WHERE ARE ALL THE REPORTS?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2023, 06:45 AM »
gas is expensive for everyone. It's been in the mid 30's - 40's and raining so I don't want to drive to the lakes to see the mess they are in. I'm sure if guys were fishing, there would be reports. Maybe it's like "no news, is bad news". I'll try to take a ride up to PL to have a look before the weekend.

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • For how can one fool make another wise? Kansas
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:34 AM »
No reports...no ice that's why...I live by Beltzville and have fished it almost every day since the new year from the boat...water temps have climbed to 45 to 47 degrees with all the rain run off ... if you head up the creek arms it gets warmer. I checked back here the other day and saw many of you asking for reports on local lakes.
Like most my ice fishing gear is setting on the garage floor hoping for safe ice so I spent the time and gas to do a drive around to find safe ice. Checked all the lakes on the Pocono area and found open water in the places that usually have ice... Bradys always is the first and last in this area to have ice and she was not fishable. Drove a little further and ck'd Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro. no fishing  and no safe ice. I didn't venture out on either of these because you could see it was not safe. Headed north to Promised Land and fond iffy ice , channel open and a guy fishing along snow shanty on 3 inches of iffy ice...not me.  when I got home I wanted to report my findings so I login and see every one requesting reports. I saw the person was from well south of here so I thought Id let him now it was a no go  and he immediately questioned everything... I started to write a very nasty reply and was about to hit send and decided I'm better than that. And that is why I WILL NOT REPORT ON CONDITION ... YOU TAKE THE TIME TO FIQURE IT OUT... For how can one fool make another wise.
MAC

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:29 AM »
No reports...no ice that's why...I live by Beltzville and have fished it almost every day since the new year from the boat...water temps have climbed to 45 to 47 degrees with all the rain run off ... if you head up the creek arms it gets warmer. I checked back here the other day and saw many of you asking for reports on local lakes.
Like most my ice fishing gear is setting on the garage floor hoping for safe ice so I spent the time and gas to do a drive around to find safe ice. Checked all the lakes on the Pocono area and found open water in the places that usually have ice... Bradys always is the first and last in this area to have ice and she was not fishable. Drove a little further and ck'd Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro. no fishing  and no safe ice. I didn't venture out on either of these because you could see it was not safe. Headed north to Promised Land and fond iffy ice , channel open and a guy fishing along snow shanty on 3 inches of iffy ice...not me.  when I got home I wanted to report my findings so I login and see every one requesting reports. I saw the person was from well south of here so I thought Id let him now it was a no go  and he immediately questioned everything... I started to write a very nasty reply and was about to hit send and decided I'm better than that. And that is why I WILL NOT REPORT ON CONDITION ... YOU TAKE THE TIME TO FIQURE IT OUT... For how can one fool make another wise.
MAC

I'm not looking to pick a fight but all you told the guy was he would need a boat. That comment lends itself to a lot of questions. I think he was right to question whether you truly knew the lakes actual conditions. I know I questioned it when I read your comment, as I have been following the Toby report page myself. A comment like that comes off as ignorant and assuming, rather than showing that you have/had first hand knowledge of the actual conditions.  I would have preferred if you mentioned whether the lake had any ice, all open water, etc.  As with your promised land observation,  just because you wouldn't fish it, doesn't mean it isn't fishable.

I think everyone would really appreciate it if you did report your findings on the reports page, whether they are good reports or bad ones. All these lakes you just checked, yet the reports page has no updates. We appreciate guys like you who have/make the time to check the conditions out.

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • For how can one fool make another wise? Kansas
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:38 AM »
AGAIN. How can one fool make another wise?. I"M DONE.... now you know why nobody will help...thanks for your 2 cents . if you knew, why didn't you report.

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:44 AM »
AGAIN. How can one fool make another wise?. I"M DONE.... now you know why nobody will help...thanks for your 2 cents . if you knew, why didn't you report.

I did report the conditions on both promised land and Toby 2 weeks ago when I did know the conditions. I haven't been back to either, or anywhere for that matter, since. That's why I haven't reported since.

But again to reiterate. A comment like you said, "gonna need a boat", makes it sound like Toby is all open water. Is that what you found when you checked it most recently?

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:10 AM »
I'm not looking to pick a fight but all you told the guy was he would need a boat. That comment lends itself to a lot of questions. I think he was right to question whether you truly knew the lakes actual conditions. I know I questioned it when I read your comment, as I have been following the Toby report page myself. A comment like that comes off as ignorant and assuming, rather than showing that you have/had first hand knowledge of the actual conditions.  I would have preferred if you mentioned whether the lake had any ice, all open water, etc.  As with your promised land observation,  just because you wouldn't fish it, doesn't mean it isn't fishable.

I think everyone would really appreciate it if you did report your findings on the reports page, whether they are good reports or bad ones. All these lakes you just checked, yet the reports page has no updates. We appreciate guys like you who have/make the time to check the conditions out.

So a guy goes and checks various bodies of water and gives reports which are always opinions/judgement calls and now your gonna critique his technique of reporting..........may be you and all the others on here should form a standard reporting form so we can adhere to "your standards" when we try to be of service to YOU by sharing on our time and dime.........this site is getting ridiculous!

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:29 AM »
So a guy goes and checks various bodies of water and gives reports which are always opinions/judgement calls and now your gonna critique his technique of reporting..........may be you and all the others on here should form a standard reporting form so we can adhere to "your standards" when we try to be of service to YOU by sharing on our time and dime.........this site is getting ridiculous!

He did not give reports. He checked all of those lakes and did not report on any of them. Well until he wrote his rant here on this topic. The reports page still has no updates. Which is fine, he doesn't have to. But the one report he made, all he said was "gonna need a boat". There are no standards for how one reports, but imo that's a lousy one.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:32 AM »
Honestly.  I'll  set up a pay pal account for lake scouting.

But, would you pay a nominal  fee for accurate ice conditions?

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:40 AM »
I like when I give reports and guys tell me I didn't check the correct areas of the lake and that there should be fishable sections of ice, only to find there is no fishable ice... if guys are so confident why waste money on a spud, float suit, and/or spikes.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:42 AM »
This is why I always try to take pictures of my ice measurement AND a picture of the lake including shoreline. I figure guys can not only read my description but can look at the pictures and decide for themselves whether it is safe for THEM.

I usually report on the following:
1) ice thickness
2) ice quality (black vs white/snow ice)
3) traction- ie “glare” ice vs snow covered- and if snow, how deep(need a smitty?)
4)shoreline quality
5) sketchy(thin) spots and
6) open water

Again, I try to use pictures to document the above info whenever I can...............

I think if everyone did that, it would remove any doubt!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:45 AM »
This is why I always try to take pictures of my ice measurement AND a picture of the lake including shoreline. I figure guys can not only read my description but can look at the pictures and decide for themselves whether it is safe for THEM.

I usually report on the following:
1) ice thickness
2) ice quality (black vs white/snow ice)
3) traction- ie “glare” ice vs snow covered- and if snow, how deep(need a smitty?)
4)shoreline quality
5) sketchy(thin) spots and
6) open water

Again, I try to use pictures to document the above info whenever I can...............

I think if everyone did that, it would remove any doubt!

Great response RN, I'll do my darndest to report in this manner in the future.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:47 AM »
It's the same thing every year with first ice.  No one reports anything due to judgement/safety factor and also people want some peace and quiet before the masses arrive, especially when there are not many places to ice fish.  I was going to go to Toby in late Dec when we had the freeze up and I knew it was safe, but I haven't been out.  I don't expect to get out for another 2-3 weeks with this crap weather and busy schedule.   

Tioga county has safe ice and great reports only bc Don at Tackleshack works super hard to promote his region and business.  Head there if you want to find some safe ice.

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:54 AM »
All that I am saying is that if you are going to be kind enough to make a report, put the facts out there and let people be the judge.

How can someone report that a lake is not fishable and in the same sentence say but they see 1 guy out there fishing.

But really that's not even the comment in question. The one that this rant started about was "gonna need a boat" . To me that lacks facts, starting with the fact of were you actually there or not to see that it needs a boat

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:04 AM »
All reports are appreciated. Most reports are accurate and helpful. Ruttnutt your reports are always top of the line!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:13 AM »
All reports are appreciated. Most reports are accurate and helpful. Ruttnutt your reports are always top of the line!

Agreed.  Understanding that these reports are just one piece of the puzzle and not a master key is up to the individual.  If you have concerns, don't withhold info, just voice your concerns in the report.  I was on Nockamixon last year and it is not the best ice, but me and my buddy felt comfortable enough to fish.  I posted info about it and someone went but didn't feel safe enough so they didn't venture as far.  Everyone stayed on top and no one got mad about "bad reports". Judgment is personal.  Use your own and be glad for the info you get.  Share the info you have.  If you don't want to broadcast info for some reason, PM someone.     

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:28 AM »
someone tells me "you're gonna need a boat" and I'm figuring there is open water and dangerous conditions. The thing I hate is when someone makes a report like "A friend told me" or "I read on another web site". There should be absolutely no second or third hand reporting. If you didn't go to a body of water and make an assessment, whether by measuring or with common sense, don't make a report.

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:40 AM »
someone tells me "you're gonna need a boat" and I'm figuring there is open water and dangerous conditions. The thing I hate is when someone makes a report like "A friend told me" or "I read on another web site". There should be absolutely no second or third hand reporting. If you didn't go to a body of water and make an assessment, whether by measuring or with common sense, don't make a report.

I know this comment is directed towards me. I don't see the harm in passing on information. I am not and never will report that the ice is "safe". I just report the conditions.

The friend I gave a report on behalf of is a trusted source who i knew was on the lake at the time i made the report. Not a day or week later, but exactly the time he was fishing the lake. The information that I received from another web page (this chat to be exact) is already out there for the rest of the world and people on this forum to see  anyways.

Just because teachers weren't alive in the year 1776 to see the declaration of independence get signed doesn't mean they aren't credible sources to teach about it. As long as you are reporting facts and not changing them, the source is kind of irrelevant.

Everyone on this forum is trusting that the people reporting conditions are reporting accurate information. Where that info is kind of irrelevant as long as it is accurate and in real time.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:44 AM »
I agree with Spider, only eyewitness reports should be made. And again, all reports are subjective and I appreciate any info I receive from this site. Opinions are part of the report as well and shouldn’t be excluded but given whatever weight anyone wants to assign to them. If someone’s opinion is that the ice doesn’t appear safe to them, I appreciate that as well. I made a report on PL when I was there and included open water and shoreline observations.
I’d hate to see this turning into that no longer existing other site where there was turmoil and bickering.

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:51 AM »
I agree with Spider, only eyewitness reports should be made. And again, all reports are subjective and I appreciate any info I receive from this site. Opinions are part of the report as well and shouldn’t be excluded but given whatever weight anyone wants to assign to them. If someone’s opinion is that the ice doesn’t appear safe to them, I appreciate that as well. I made a report on PL when I was there and included open water and shoreline observations.
I’d hate to see this turning into that no longer existing other site where there was turmoil and bickering.

Again, I don't see the issue with sharing information on conditions from other sources. I am not telling anyone to go, or that it is safe. I am just telling them what the conditions are whether it be what I saw or heard. Just sharing and spreading information. Keeping people in the loop, like what this page is intended for.

Offline trophysteve58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:47 AM »
man does this guy ever shut up. im glad to see reports no matter how its said.

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:53 AM »
man does this guy ever shut up. im glad to see reports no matter how its said.

That's exactly my point. A report is a report whether I heard it or saw it myself. If I trust the source enough to post the report, then you should too. I am here to spread helpful info whether it's good news or bad. Even bad news keeps people in the loop better than saying nothing at all.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:59 AM »

I agree! But that had more to do with the owner of the site being an.................... .(let’s just say “piece of work” to say it nicely! 😜)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2023, 10:31 AM »
Again, will you guys pay or a report on the lakes on demand?

But, you want the local report. 

Right?

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2023, 10:49 AM »
You’re right RuttNutt, but that was implied in my comment. As far as paying Joe I know I wouldn’t. I’m okay with the reports on here and trust their content; ice depth, black or white, water, danger spots etc..
 I think if a member takes the time to report what he sees and experiences he’s being as accurate as he can and I appreciate that considering he doesn’t have to report anything.

Offline trophysteve58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2023, 10:57 AM »
scranton joe that was not how this started one guy was complaining about how another guy gave a report! and me personally will take a report no matter how its said i dont care how he says it i got the information i need to make my own decision. and no i wont pay for that information i can figure it out this site just makes it easy and a good bunch of guys going out of there way to report safe ice.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2023, 11:17 AM »
No, I will not pay for reports info but I will acknowledge and gladly patronize sponsors that provide this information.  Tackleshack and Chaumont Masters are two excellent ones.  Otherwise this information is available many places besides IS.  What you trust or don't trust is your own personal decision.       

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2023, 12:14 PM »
scranton joe that was not how this started one guy was complaining about how another guy gave a report! and me personally will take a report no matter how its said i dont care how he says it i got the information i need to make my own decision. and no i wont pay for that information i can figure it out this site just makes it easy and a good bunch of guys going out of there way to report safe ice.

Honestly it's not even how he gave the report. I think that it was understood that when he said "gonna need a boat" he meant that the conditions for ice fishing are not good. The problem I had and why I even involved myself is because someone asked him to describe what "gonna need a boat" looks like. Does that mean wide open water? Does it mean some ice, some open water? And instead of simply answering the questions, he came on this page and wrote a big rant. I am just defending the guys who ask questions. We are all on this page to share and gain info

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2023, 01:17 PM »
All you have t do is watch the weather.Its pretty obvious in most places in Pa esp here in western pa there isn't safe ice if there is such a thing!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2023, 01:35 PM »
Again, will you guys pay or a report on the lakes on demand?

But, you want the local report. 

Right?

I will NOT pay for reports. I usually only look for reports on lakes I haven’t been to in awhile or are way out of my area. I usually give more info as a rule, than I actually get. But I’m in the Poconos and know a lot of guys are coming from Southern Pa where they might drive for 2 hours and not like what they see and have to turn around and drive home, unless they get a good report on a lake.

I’ve said it before................ if folks would pick a couple lakes they frequent or live near and give reports when they can, it would really help a lot. I live near Shohola and even though I don’t fish it much, if guys are looking for a report I will drive 10 min further after work and take a look for them.(and then report it)  And I hope others would do the same.
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.