Author Topic: 2009 NH IS "Little Alaska" Outing (group outing to 1st/3rd Lake,Pittsburg)  (Read 24630 times)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Jigging isn't about skill, it's about placement and persistence.  Don't worry about jigging, it is as easy as following the back packaging directions for a sweedish pimple.  Worry more about the beverages, food, and company... lol.  The rest comes naturally.  We will all have fun no matter the weather or fishing conditions.  ;D
i never jig, but this year i might try the drop shot technique i learned this fall.....i am going to try the gulp smelt on a small drop shot rig.......most of the time we do not jig, because the majority of the places we tend to go to the action can be fierce.......i guess that's why i go to the places that i go to......for the action........plus i am big on popping new holes and covering a large area......not a lot of down time for me.......i like to stay busy on the ice
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just a reminder for those of you who are interested in attending the get together to make your reservations now before the snowmobilers fill everything up!

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
Is there plenty of parking on the lake I might just bring the clam sleeper on the sled and sleep on the ice?

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
Yeah, what's the parking situation like?  I'll just be coming up for the day.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
There will only be room for 3 trucks depending if there is a lot of snow.  If it isn't too bad, there will be parking at the launch which there is plenty of room. 

We can figure out how to get everyone and their gear up there once we get an official count.  There are a few of us that can shuttle people to and from their vehicles.

Provided there is safe ice for your sled, you'll probably be the only person sleeping out there.  Room on the lake is not an issue.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is another question I can pose:

Where people rather fish?

We can fish 1st lake where parking will not be an issue. It holds lakers/salmon/cusk.
The cusk can be a ton of fun if you can get onto them. The lakers are generally bigger than the lakers in 3rd averaging around 20-23" long.
Fishing can be very slow here but can heat up quick.  Bait is also right around the corner and can be reached by snowmobile.

3rd lake holds bows/lakers.

here parking wil be an issue.  The lakers are smaller in size but can be a ton of fun when they turn the feed bag on. I have never really had a slow day or a skunk day on 3rd. The action tends to slow during mid day but can continue throughout the day if one cares to jig.  Bait is back 20 miles or so!

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
Personally, I'd rather fish Francis or 1st Lake.  Shorter drive, better parking, and better access to cusk traps.

For people staying over night Saturday, you always have the option of jigging for cusk at night for a few hours.  If you are planning on sleeping on the ice... you're already there, so why not.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have never fished Fancis through the ice. The ice quality is usually touch and go though.  First would be a better option as there are plenty of places to stay right on the lake or have access via snowmobile trail to the lake.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not that I am going, but I would think the better spot would be the easier accessed so the whole ordeal doesn't turn into a cluster up. If it's about meeting each other first and catching fish second obviously the easier access should be the choice. If its quality fish everyone wants then your going to the wrong lakes, lol. Just kidding. I really have no clue on the lakes up there. I do know when lakers were in the derby for first prize it usually came from up there, not that DD has proven that to us with his catches.

Good luck to all that go and have fun.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
not that DD has proven that to us with his catches.

Spike

ewwwwww another spike in the back lol :o :o ::)

i personally would like to catch fish !!!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
not that DD has proven that to us with his catches.

Spike

ewwwwww another spike in the back lol :o :o ::)

i personally would like to catch fish !!!

I think the derby proves every year if you want to catch fish don't go with a large group. Or spread waaay out.

Spike
gallery

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm pretty sure I will be there. Just don't have an atv or sled, I hope we don't go to far out or someone can shuttle...Tim

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm pretty sure I will be there. Just don't have an atv or sled, I hope we don't go to far out or someone can shuttle...Tim

there will be plenty of things to move you around tim!

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tim, I am bringin both my snowmobile with ice fishing sleds.  Getting you and your gear out there wont be a problem.  Hey DD I vote for the 1st Lake!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tim, I am bringin both my snowmobile with ice fishing sleds.  Getting you and your gear out there wont be a problem.  Hey DD I vote for the 1st Lake!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is the 1st we fish, there is plenty of parking and YOU will have access right from your bunk via sled to the lake! Just put a stiff hitch on your ice fishing sled. (I can't remember if it has one or not!)

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
1st lake  should get the nod hands down. Hope you all have a great time. You'll have a chance to see the internet come alive. There's more than enough room to spread things out and still be able to visit.
Times have NOT changed. PEOPLE have!!!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bump........

It was down about ten posts ;D ;D ;D ;D

Spike
gallery

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
I think the derby proves every year if you want to catch fish don't go with a large group. Or spread waaay out.

Spike
if your rainbow fishing maybe .i fish the derby every year with a good sized group mostly family and we have done quite well.in fact in the early years of the derby my brother rick swept the board in the yellow perch catagory for the day beleive it was a sunday not sure ..and further more we have boarded fishin more years than not..but like i said thats warm water species..and more than catching fish i really am hoping to learn to be a better cold water species fisherman on the hard water..

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
10-4 DD!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like we're gonna have a good little crowd ;).

So just to recap/confirm? Are we still planning on JAN 24th ? (ice pending of coarse)

I put in my vote for 1st Conn. because the fish are generally bigger, we can spread out, and of coarse the parking.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The 24th it is and it sounds like we will be on the 1st instead of the 3rd.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
Hey if you guys are on the Connecticut Lakes or one of the three lakes you might be lucky and get a few Pike. They also might be some in Pitsburg lake also. You'll have tips ups everywere going up when your there!!  :tipup:  :tipup:

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
Although a monster Pike wouldnt be bad, I'm hoping for some monster lakers.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey if you guys are on the Connecticut Lakes or one of the three lakes you might be lucky and get a few Pike. They also might be some in Pitsburg lake also. You'll have tips ups everywere going up when your there!!  :tipup:  :tipup:

There are not any pike in the Ct lakes in Pittsburg or a Pittsburg Lake.......

Cheif.....remember my cusk traps I showed you? If you are going to be there for the weekend, you might want to make some up!

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yup, I remember.......I think.  How many can you have???

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Yup, I remember.......I think.  How many can you have???

Hey Chief,

You are allowed six per person that can be fished along with your two lines (tip ups or jigging).
I think it would be cool for the guys staying over night to give it a shot.
I love cusk fishing...It makes for some decent to good action and can sometimes produce a big one.
It also keeps me busy when the trout are slow. ;)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Chief,

You are allowed six per person that can be fish along with your two lines (tip ups or jigging).
I think it would be cool for the guys staying over night to give it a shot.
I love cusk fishing...It makes for some decent to good action and can sometimes produce a big one.
It also keeps me busy when the trout are slow. ;)

Keith, the cool thing about cusk fishing on the first...you already spent the night in my bob house!  Yup I run down to the lake on the sled, check the traps, go home, get warmed up, have a little to eat, go back out. Makes for a good, fun night!

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Keith, the cool thing about cusk fishing on the first...you already spent the night in my bob house!  Yup I run down to the lake on the sled, check the traps, go home, get warmed up, have a little to eat, go back out. Makes for a good, fun night!

I think all nighters are going to be the "new thing" up at your camp. I've pulled quite a few during the Winni Derby, usually there are 4-6 of us between the two shacks and we usaually go out every hour to check them, by the time we get to the last one it's almost time to go back to the first :laugh:

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think all nighters are going to be the "new thing" up at your camp. I've pulled quite a few during the Winni Derby, usually there are 4-6 of us between the two shacks and we usaually go out every hour to check them, by the time we get to the last one it's almost time to go back to the first :laugh:

By the time we get there Friday, it will be the perfect time to go sink some lines. Almost as perfect as "fish tales" story hour!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Now that it looks like we have a good bunch of people coming.....what are we doing for food?

Should we have a noon time chow gathering on the ice? If so, who is bringing a grill and what food are you bringing?

I will have venison sausage that I make in maybe three different flavors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.