Author Topic: Reel Anchors  (Read 11724 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Reel Anchors
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:17 AM »
I still have 2 of the old Frabill Sensive ice rods...very good rods....not sure if they still make them?  Maybe the Amplifier series replaced them??  Only complaint I had is that they ice up fast, so I only fish them when I'm in a shack w/ a heater.

I have a couple of the Frabill Fenris rods... same problem. They're fantastic for working micro plastics, but the eyes are so tiny they are absolutely worthless if you're not in heat. I hardly ever fish open ice, but it is definitely a rather silly issue for an ice fishing rod to have.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:09 AM »
That's why I don't like the bands...too much movement for me esp. under load.  Just my preference.  That said, I haven't tried every band on the market or castration bands/tools.

For me, I'm w/ Roccus on taping reels.  I run a band of masking tape over cork handles which I never take off to protect the cork, then use electrical tape over that.  Most of my ice reels, I will leave on my ice rods all year - so I only end up re-doing a couple every year.  Takes no time at all.

But I understand everyone's system is different.

That’s exactly how I do it and have for 20 years, this appears to be a way easier fix as I use 3/4 of those reels in open water combos. I’ll let you know
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:09 AM »
X2 , back in the day we even taped reels on our steelhead rods

This guy gets it!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:10 AM »
I’ve never tried the bands either. Those green ones look pretty good AA has on his Frabills   Been using black hockey tape for years vs’s electrical tape. It’s stronger and holds up to the cold temps much better (by design) than elec. tape. I also use it to deaden the sounds on deer stands, shooting rails, metal on metal sounds when needed. It’s slightly rubberized so works great for that.

I used hockey tape one season and found in spring it left a lot of gunk on the reel handles when I removed it, a lot of it from getting wet.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:12 AM »
Ok, I see your point! The rods I use may weight about 2 grams more.  They are so uncomfortable I usually wish I was sitting in my recliner watching tv instead of fishing.  The reel positioning is so terrible that I have to actually use two hands to reel in a fish and the grip actually makes my hands cramp up.  Although that only happens after reeling in too many bluegills!  Reel position?  What other reel position is there other then hanging under the rod?  Unless, your one of those guys I see using a spinning reel with the reel on the top!  Then of course I could also ask, if rods with no reel seat are so great, why do a majority of fishermen use rods with reel seats on soft water?  I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on what kind of reel they should use, people use what they like.  I just happen to think buying a rod without a reel seat is like, well, buying an incomplete rod.  If I wanted to put a rod and reel together, before I could use it, I'd start making my own.  After over 50 years of fishing, I doubt that will happen any time soon, but thanks for insight.

No one cares Snitch, good luck blowing your HT rods during amateur hour. Joker

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:21 AM »
No one cares Snitch, good luck blowing your HT rods during amateur hour. Joker

#roasted.  You mean you dont tape your ice blues.  Common guy!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:22 AM »
#roasted.  You mean you dont tape your ice blues.  Common guy!

South Bend guy from way back kedddd!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:23 AM »
Lol i got green cheerios on my ice blues,the cheap plastic ht reel bands crack.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:57 AM »
 Boy Scouts, 5 kids, 13, makes sense. Just stick to Michigan chief.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Never knew this could be such an important and touchy part of fishing. No reel seat? Electrical tape. Cheap. Done it for years. Never had one fall off.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:13 AM »
May have been mentioned before but this stuff is a pretty good options, though considerably more pricey than simple electrical tape.  I've used it a bunch of times on my older style softwater spinning rods where you're essentially gripping the reel seat threads.  Much more comfortable, stays put for the most part, and no mess when you cut it away.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:18 AM »
I must admit I prefer a reel seat myself, but I also shuffle a number of my reels back and forth for ice/open water (Now I realize that in no way is a castration band or tape some forever fastener or irremovable lock but I just prefer fast alignment/swap).  That said, I have helped friends fasten their reels a number of ways to some stellar rods both stock and custom, so i'm really curious about how your new reel straps/covers/locks (whatever they are) hold up AA. They look much easier than fussing with castration bands (Roc has the right idea, I tapered a dowel with a collar to get them on rod handles but the funnel seems like the obvious and easier solution now) and to the eye much neater than hockey tape. AA i might have overlooked it in the chat but are they priced well for the product/quality as far as you can tell up to this point?
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Everyone has a opinion, and that’s ok, it’s not the opinion just no one likes Smitch but he keeps coming back to say take care each time and we think it’s over lol.

They are 4.99 for a pack of 2 sets so 4 total

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:10 AM »
i bought some of these a couple years back have to find it now have on a bunch of my rods still get some movement but usually put 2 on the reel and 1 behind each of the reel holders on my cork rods.
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Snap-Reel-Wrap-Install/dp/B07B87WQ1B/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07B87WQ1B&psc=1
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:34 PM »
They are 4.99 for a pack of 2 sets so 4 total

Seems pretty reasonable, especially if they stand the test of time.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2022, 03:04 PM »
 :whistle:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Yep, thats right, I have no friends!  I come on here just to throw digs at goofs like you.  And for the record, your the one who started calling names.  Why is it that you can't handle it when someone tries to give a different opinion than yours?  That's a pretty serious question but I'm pretty sure you'll have some kind of sarcastic answer.  My first comment on this subject was to say "I" meaning me personally couldn't understand why anyone would want to tape a reel onto a fishing rod, when they make them with reel seats, for a purpose!!!  "I" have the right to voice "my" opinion on this site, just like everyone else.  Be it on a thread from another state or from Michigan.  It would be appreciated in the future if "YOU" would allow me to give my opinion without calling me names or by giving some other smart ars remark.  If you do, I'll do the same.  Again,  I have every right to make a valid comment without your ridicule, if you can't please keep it to yourself!
I'll explain it as clearly as I can, we know you have comprehension issues, but try and keep an open mind, not everyone is built the same, not everyone uses equipment the same, not every rod is designed to except every reel and reel weight, by tapeing the reel, the balance can be optimized..pretty simple..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:03 PM »
I used hockey tape one season and found in spring it left a lot of gunk on the reel handles when I removed it, a lot of it from getting wet.
I like the hockey tape over electrical tape but I don't ever take my reel off that setup. I expect it to be a bit funky if I do take it off.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05:12 AM »
Weight, comfort, reel position, grip, etc, etc.

I agree to and extent, maybe some people find all these reasons in a rod that has a seat built in.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05:47 AM »
In the English language there is a big difference in saying "I can't see why YOU (anyone) would..." and "MY preference is...". One states my personal opinion/use. The other says I am disagreeing and unaccepting (questioning) of your opinion or use. So when someone asks me "my opinion"...that's all I give. I do not question theirs. And most times don't even ask them why. I accept their opinion...whether I agree with it or not. And you can disagree with mine. I don't really care. Sorry to get off topic...just wanted to give my opinion.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2022, 06:21 AM »
If I wanted to put a rod and reel together, before I could use it, I'd start making my own.  After over 50 years of fishing, I doubt that will happen any time soon, but thanks for insight.

Oh, man.  I didn't mean to stir the pot...

I will be more careful in my replies in the future.

Good luck fishing.   :tipup:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2022, 06:46 AM »
Imagine if the original question was just answered that was asked  ;D. Good entertainment anyhow. Always fun.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:04 AM »

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:11 AM »
Lmao

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:35 AM »
I have always wondered why ice rods are the only poles with no reel seats.  I have always used poles with reel seats for the fact that it is easy to remove the reel and there is 100% no movement.  I have always thought no mater what you use on a pole without a seat there is a chance for movement.   And any time you introduce more material there will be bumps on the handle.  I have seen more new poles with reel seats this year then in the past. 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:37 AM »
I don't think anyone here has a problem with differing opinions... It's the condescending tone with which they are delivered that's going to get push back. Some folks just don't have a likeable personality and not everyone is going to get along. It is what it is, been that way since the dawn of man...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:45 AM »
I don't think anyone here has a problem with differing opinions... It's the condescending tone with which they are delivered that's going to get push back. Some folks just don't have a likeable personality and not everyone is going to get along. It is what it is, been that way since the dawn of man...

FACT !!!
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2022, 08:04 AM »

That’s exactly what it is, he did this to multiple people who never cause issues on here last year so no one wanted to see you back period, or give you the time of day. It doesn’t matter what state your’e from, until again, like you did last year, start spouting off your “ideas” that dont work here bc of your ignorance to know our laws for specific rigs etc. as if we hadn’t thought of all those ways already but are trying to work around the different laws here. It’s why I wouldn’t ever comment in Michigan, I know nothing of it. Has nothing to do with opinions, the state of Michigan, or the great folks who live there. It’s just you.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2022, 08:13 AM »
Bout time for a hotdog award isn’t it… @)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2022, 08:14 AM »
What brand is King out there Dom?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.