Author Topic: Bucktails  (Read 12716 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bucktails
« on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:33 PM »
Sat behind the vise for a minute today. I've got 15 heads to tie. Anybody have any color combo recommendations? I've got a little bit of everything color wise. This is lavender orange and some pink polar flash......

Every fish is a good fish!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Nice work Digs.... :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:38 PM »
That's looking great Digs.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Good job Digs!
May I suggest pink and white with a silver flash tied on a pink or white jig head? Chartreuse or chartreuse and black on a black jig head? Black or black with white on a black jig head with added silver flash?
(I’ll take a couple, lol!)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Thanks!!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Good job Digs!
May I suggest pink and white with a silver flash tied on a pink or white jig head? Chartreuse or chartreuse and black on a black jig head? Black or black with white on a black jig head with added silver flash?
(I’ll take a couple, lol!)

I only have those black heads right now..... I'll probably order some more. I'm looking into some actual good glow paint too for the heads. I'll give some of those combos a try

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Nice work Digs! Quick question: Do you buy your tails colored or collect and preserve during hunting seasons and dye your own.

Here's why I'm curious: I am a collector/dyer and have had great success in dying every color but black. Just doesn't take. Deep crappy purplish/blackish is about as close as I get. Your black looks perfect so I'm guessing you purchase. If not would you (or anyone else for that matter) be willing to share a secret?

Again, great looking jig! Hair brings stuff to the party that no synthetic can duplicate.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Orange and yellow, yellow and chartreuse are great colors

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Nice work Digs! Quick question: Do you buy your tails colored or collect and preserve during hunting seasons and dye your own.

Here's why I'm curious: I am a collector/dyer and have had great success in dying every color but black. Just doesn't take. Deep crappy purplish/blackish is about as close as I get. Your black looks perfect so I'm guessing you purchase. If not would you (or anyone else for that matter) be willing to share a secret?

Again, great looking jig! Hair brings stuff to the party that no synthetic can duplicate.

I'm not a hunter but my buddies that do, do save me the tails. I haven't gotten into dying my own yet. I tried some synthetic fur last year on a jig and haven't touched it since

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Super nice Digs! That clean work right there.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:10 PM »
I'm not a hunter but my buddies that do, do save me the tails. I haven't gotten into dying my own yet. I tried some synthetic for last year on a jig and haven't touched it since

Good on you! FYI just about any color you want can be achieved at home using good old RIT dye for clothing, even bright orange and chartreuse. Black is tough and I've always just bought (or traded for) that. I always bone my tails "backwards", cutting thru the brown and preserving the white. Takes a little longer but I think is worth the effort. Wash 'em in salty water, rub off all of the meat/fat and put 'em in a single layer to dry with a pile of solar salt on top of the skin part. They preserve perfectly and last forever.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:58 PM »
esox_xtm, you dying your tails one color (like a blue) then the black, that is my understanding to get them black...

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Nice work Digs!  That bucktail looks real fishy.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Digs

Excelent work. Takes talent to get results like that
John

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2020, 12:43 AM »
Thanks so much for the feedback and the recommendations! Much appreciated.  I had a buddy request one that's black and white. So I made two one has "wings" and one just a streak...... What do the masses say? I think either will catch fish but confidence in a lure goes a long way.......

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:37 AM »
esox_xtm, you dying your tails one color (like a blue) then the black, that is my understanding to get them black...

Thanks for the suggestion stripernut. Next time I got the dye tub hot I'll give it a try!

Thanks so much for the feedback and the recommendations! Much appreciated.  I had a buddy request one that's black and white. So I made two one has "wings" and one just a streak...... What do the masses say? I think either will catch fish but confidence in a lure goes a long way.......

I've always been partial to a dark or colored top with a lighter bottom, similar to most fish color schemes. Sometimes I'll add just a wisp of flash or contrast.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Digs, that black and white will definitely catch fish.  I like a lot of contrast in my bucktails.  Matching the hatch is critical and your bucktail reminds me of smelt.  I am sure it would be great dipped in smelt oil or tipped.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:14 PM »
I like white with a pink or blue lateral line of flashaboo.

What are those jig heads made of..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:55 PM »
I like white with a pink or blue lateral line of flashaboo.

What are those jig heads made of..

Not sure honestly..... I get them from a site called lead free bass jigs he's out of Mass. I would assume bismuth but not sure. I have 1/2 oz heads

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2020, 07:42 AM »
Not sure honestly..... I get them from a site called lead free bass jigs he's out of Mass. I would assume bismuth but not sure. I have 1/2 oz heads

The lead ban put me out of business as far S jigs for fresh water, I have a 5 gallon bucket  full of jigs between .25 a d 1 ounce I need to someday melt down to pour for striper jugs, I have molds from small shad darts to 5 ounce striper jogs I haven't used in yeras...  if I had only 1lure in a survival situation it would be a jig.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:10 PM »

Ooooh, I'd fish with that for sure
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:59 PM »
Nice  sparce tie  wings are nice. I used to tie some with a few strands facial g forward, just like a parachute jig..ypu are tieing very sexy jigs, I like em!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:51 PM »
Nice  sparce tie  wings are nice. I used to tie some with a few strands facial g forward, just like a parachute jig..ypu are tieing very sexy jigs, I like em!

Thanks! I tied one up the other day and added some rabbit fur for a trailer it turned out pretty good I think.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Thanks! I tied one up the other day and added some rabbit fur for a trailer it turned out pretty good I think.

Sweet, Digs!  :thumbsup:

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:29 AM »

That looks fantastic!
I like the rabbit addition.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:02 PM »

Oh man digs, that's pretty. Going have to play on the fly table later, i'm inspired.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:28 PM »

Not a buck tail as it’s all marabou but I figured I’d start close to one of my open water favorites.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:39 PM »

Digs that would be a nice jig  for eyes here in a 1/2, and 5/8oz

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:42 PM »

That looks great...... Marabou has such great action under water.

Not a buck tail as it’s all marabou but I figured I’d start close to one of my open water favorites.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Thanks digs. I think next time I’ll forgo trying to dub before the jig head and just tie in some red marabou.
I’ve been getting my tungsten sat widow maker lures (because they have my favorite crappie baits cheap) but I like the jigs you have more for the 1/0 plus sizes. Where’d you find those?
-Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.