Author Topic: New Auger suggestions  (Read 13135 times)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Re: New Auger suggestions
« Reply #90 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Nothing "wrong" with it Denny. Great auger. Some great features. I know alot of guys love them. There was something left to be desired for me. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent auger for what it is.
The ergonomics, it just never felt completely right. I don't like the wing handle design. And even with brand new blades, it's nothing compared to how the Strikemaster cuts. It's a whole different animal cutting, hands down.
 There's been improvements in designs since I got the Ion. I know the new Ion Gen2 has a better design than Gen1 and very comparable to the new Strike, but I haven't used one. I did however have a chance to run the Strike.
I never really planned on getting a new auger . Basically, the Ion X was the Cats meow for a while, until I finally tried a Strikemaster. Running one made my decision for me!!
Why, you need another Ion Denny?  ;D
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Made another “ art piece” out there today for you though.

Frank you defiled my post  :-[ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:50 PM »

LMAO... nah, he just tied a pretty holiday bow on it....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #93 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:56 PM »
I just #METOO’d you  @)
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #94 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Strikemaster or gtfo!  ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:00 PM »
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:57 PM »

Nice artwork but where is the "Prince Albert"?  ;)2

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Nothing "wrong" with it Denny. Great auger. Some great features. I know alot of guys love them. There was something left to be desired for me. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent auger for what it is.
The ergonomics, it just never felt completely right. I don't like the wing handle design. And even with brand new blades, it's nothing compared to how the Strikemaster cuts. It's a whole different animal cutting, hands down.
 There's been improvements in designs since I got the Ion. I know the new Ion Gen2 has a better design than Gen1 and very comparable to the new Strike, but I haven't used one. I did however have a chance to run the Strike.
I never really planned on getting a new auger . Basically, the Ion X was the Cats meow for a while, until I finally tried a Strikemaster. Running one made my decision for me!!

All set thanks mine is working fine. Hope to move my Jiffy 30 this week.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:10 PM »
All set thanks mine is working fine. Hope to move my Jiffy 30 this week.
Yea my 70s vintage Jiffy30 has been sitting in the corner for a few years. Kind of Nostalgic. Maybe it'll find a home someday. They seem the minority these days.
 I was on a lake the other day that looked to have about 20 or so other groups fishing. Only heard one Jiffy fire up all day. When you hear that roar now, it catches your ear. When before it was so normal you never even noticed it.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #99 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Yea my 70s vintage Jiffy30 has been sitting in the corner for a few years. Kind of Nostalgic. Maybe it'll find a home someday. They seem the minority these days.
 I was on a lake the other day that looked to have about 20 or so other groups fishing. Only heard one Jiffy fire up all day. When you hear that roar now, it catches your ear. When before it was so normal you never even noticed it.

Agreed! Fished with BarringtonBrad Sunday and we said the same thing when one fired up.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Nice artwork but where is the "Prince Albert"?  ;)2

That's  funny I was looking for the Jacobs Ladder
John

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:23 PM »
I was on a lake the other day that looked to have about 20 or so other groups fishing.
20 or so other groups fishing. Imagine that?   ;)

What part of the lake? Don't want your honey hole, just curious?  ::)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:51 PM »
20 or so other groups fishing. Imagine that?   ;)

What part of the lake? Don't want your honey hole, just curious?  ::)
Hahaha...yea I went there because it's normally a nice lake, nice scenery. Low and behold I figured out the hard way it had a big dose of fall stocking by the "hoards" of people. I reluctantly stayed anyway.
Also....I actually had someone walk on, and setup in between two of my traps?.....we had words. He said he fished there earlier in the week and that was "his" spot.... R U effing kidding me? I just can't even believe I share the same oxygen with some of these DB's out there.
I could easily have ended up in Belknap County jail.....but I behaved  ;D

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Yep, one of the "multiple reasons" it's not fun fishing with masses of people! Sharing too much info on the inter web can do that.  :(

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #104 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:07 PM »
you starting to convince me on getting the new strike..after this week every muscle was killing me from carrying the beast ..just maybe
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Hahaha...yea I went there because it's normally a nice lake, nice scenery. Low and behold I figured out the hard way it had a big dose of fall stocking by the "hoards" of people. I reluctantly stayed anyway.
Also....I actually had someone walk on, and setup in between two of my traps?.....we had words. He said he fished there earlier in the week and that was "his" spot.... R U effing kidding me? I just can't even believe I share the same oxygen with some of these DB's out there.
I could easily have ended up in Belknap County jail.....but I behaved  ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:12 PM »
you starting to convince me on getting the new strike..after this week every muscle was killing me from carrying the beast ..just maybe
When we meet up at the spot soon, you can give it a whirl. Be careful though, you might just like it...lol

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:19 PM »

Yup!! The fire started to creep inside.
And he tried to use the kid card too. "I just want to fish with my daughter and this is a good spot for her" he says. I'm thinking, what, the ice 100 yds away isn't good enough? There's a whole lake here and you need "this" spot. Mind you I was there before sunrise, and he wandered on about 9am.
Fishing sucked anyway, so I just let him do his thing. Its great to see kids getting out there but shouldn't we as outdoorsmen teach RESPECT also?
Sorry guys...my rant is over...lol

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Agreed. Part of teaching sportsmanship is the respect of the others enjoying it too. Took my 3 year old out hunting this year and we had talked about going to a spot for 3 days. Finally came time, we got almost to the spot and saw a guy in a climbing stand and told my son we had to find a new place to go. He was not happy about it, but told him first come first serve and that he wouldn't like it if someone ruined his hunt. He smiled and agreed but said what if he gets our deer? Told him that he was smarter than us to get there earlier than us and if he got it than it was his deer not ours. He nodded and we found a new spot to sit. I even though we didn't see anything I felt like he learned something that day

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 02, 2020, 04:12 AM »
Well done

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #110 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:52 AM »
When we meet up at the spot soon, you can give it a whirl. Be careful though, you might just like it...lol
that's what im worried about...I have about 500 in gift cards so we will see
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:30 AM »
that's what im worried about...I have about 500 in gift cards so we will see
That's exactly what paid for my new one!!!lol
Another reason It was pretty easy to make the upgrade.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Agreed. Part of teaching sportsmanship is the respect of the others enjoying it too. Took my 3 year old out hunting this year and we had talked about going to a spot for 3 days. Finally came time, we got almost to the spot and saw a guy in a climbing stand and told my son we had to find a new place to go. He was not happy about it, but told him first come first serve and that he wouldn't like it if someone ruined his hunt. He smiled and agreed but said what if he gets our deer? Told him that he was smarter than us to get there earlier than us and if he got it than it was his deer not ours. He nodded and we found a new spot to sit. I even though we didn't see anything I felt like he learned something that day
Very well done, jpease!  :clap:
Start em young and start em right. That's quite a concept for a 3 year old, but I think you both deserve a bunch of atta boys for that lesson! 

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #113 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:24 PM »
wish there was more like you.. can,t tell you how many guys will set up right next to me whether i,m fishing or hunting wish they taught common courtesy.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Very well done, jpease!  :clap:
Start em young and start em right. That's quite a concept for a 3 year old, but I think you both deserve a bunch of atta boys for that lesson!

X2

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Back to the original topic... I got a 10” strike last year and love it. My buddy just got the 10” Ion as a Xmas gift, and while I agree with what was mentioned above about the strike having superb ergonomics and cutting speed, the Ion battery is impressing me. We’re probably on 80 holes through admittedly skinny ice, but it’s still got two bars left. From what I’ve seen so far the Ion May be a bit slower, but I think you would get more holes total vs the Strikemaster.

Both are huge, vast, major etc. improvements on any of the gas units. The strike just cuts circles around the Ion.

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:49 PM »

Just came in going to go test it out

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:20 PM »
Sorry guys I don't see what the big deal is about speed. My 3 year old ION cut through 50 holes last year of 2 feet of ice one day and went to the second bar. I'm on the original battery. I'm sure they all work fine. At my age I am "Built for comfort not for speed".

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Sorry guys I don't see what the big deal is about speed. My 3 year old ION cut through 50 holes last year of 2 feet of ice one day and went to the second bar. I'm on the original battery. I'm sure they all work fine. At my age I am "Built for comfort not for speed".
I am not in a race either Denny. What I meant was it's less fatigue on the body by being quicker. My point was if I'm taking 1 1/2 to 2 times as long cutting through 2' of ice, its more wear and tear on the ole body. I felt the torque and speed of the Strikemaster actually  "pulls" the blades down through the hole, with zero effort. Where as my Ion takes a little finesse and light pressure(yes, even with new blades).

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:58 PM »
And yes, I definitely agree...the Ion batteries are Amazing!
I've never ran out, even after 50 holes(in Sub-Zero temps).
I'm hearing the same about the SM.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.