Author Topic: New Auger suggestions  (Read 13131 times)

Offline djboston

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Auger suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I went from Gas to a clam plate with a dewalt drill. I really didn’t like the Clam plate and I burnt out a drill. It wasn’t brushless but it was one that I had. I am a contractor and fortunately I have tons of Drills. Last year I broke down and got a KDRILL. Got one of the recommended Dewalt drills they have listed and never looked back

The weight is awesome. I literally took 40lbs out of my sled, plus walking around the ice punching holes got to less of a chore. You can carry the whole setup with one finger. I was averaging 30-40 holes 6” of ice with one battery. I always carry two batteries but never had to switch batteries the entire season.

However if you would like a gas auger, you can have my old one free of charge. It’s just sitting around. Collecting dust.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Maine the way life should be!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Maine the way life should be!!

I always thought of Maine as more like a small Minnesota with a bit of salt water instead of Lake Superior.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2019, 02:56 PM »

Haha. Sorry. Stupid autocorrect.
Wayne, thanks for the explanation of Frank's suggested answer.
They look like throw backs to Denny's ( ;D) Alice Cooper?  Ironically, all men with long hair.
Mr. Harry, I considered your option also, but was baffled.   :unsure:
Apparently you/we were correct.
Turd (your handle, not mine), I'm still confused! What word did you use that was auto corrected to Alice's?
Any chance that your handle was auto corrected also?
No slam intended, just a curious guy... 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Slices... the s and a are side by side on the keyboard.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2019, 03:54 PM »
I use the 24v Kobalt Hammerdrill with a Nils 8 inch for the past few years and it works amazing.  The drill itself is usually 99 bucks at Lowes, comes with a 2amp battery, but im upgrading to the 4 amp this year.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2019, 05:31 PM »

Thanks Stealth, makes too much sense.
I just slapped my palm to my forehead!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I have 2 augers (both hand augers).  An eskimo 8" hand auger and an 8" strikemaster lazer. I'm looking for the cheapest but also reliable upgrade as I have literally handcranked holes for the past 4 years in sometimes as much as 2 feet of ice.  And I'll put down 12+ traps when fishing with friends so that's a lot of holes and a lot of ice with a hand auger.  Looked at propane augers and they're expensive, also I don't know about them freezing up.  I'm sure there's ways around it.  I know gas tends to run a bit cheaper.  I'm considering just getting the clam plate and a nice drill.  I guess that would run me about the same as a new gas auger?  I know it's a boring/beat to death topic but any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

A little more food for thought. Went to an ice fishing seminar that was conducted by a half-dozen or so members of the U.S. ice fishing team. Someone asked them what their drill of choice was and every one of them said they weren't sure...they never give it much thought. One said " whatever it is that's rolling around in the back of my truck right now" .
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:00 PM »
you cant beat a good used jiffy..just my .02...

Offline Turd Ferguson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:52 PM »

Exactly. 800stealth is the voice of reason.
Uncle Dave's nephew

KCCO

Offline Turd Ferguson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Wayne, thanks for the explanation of Frank's suggested answer.
They look like throw backs to Denny's ( ;D) Alice Cooper?  Ironically, all men with long hair.
Mr. Harry, I considered your option also, but was baffled.   :unsure:
Apparently you/we were correct.
Turd (your handle, not mine), I'm still confused! What word did you use that was auto corrected to Alice's?
Any chance that your handle was auto corrected also?
No slam intended, just a curious guy...

It’s from an old SNL skit; “Celebrity Jeopardy”
Uncle Dave's nephew

KCCO

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:58 PM »

Back when that show was funny! The Sean Connery character Will Farrell played is hilarious
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:22 PM »
A little more food for thought. Went to an ice fishing seminar that was conducted by a half-dozen or so members of the U.S. ice fishing team. Someone asked them what their drill of choice was and every one of them said they weren't sure...they never give it much thought. One said " whatever it is that's rolling around in the back of my truck right now" .
                 was on their site today they all had yellow blade covers and they looked like 4 inch 5 at most and possibly 3 inch

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:19 PM »
                 was on their site today they all had yellow blade covers and they looked like 4 inch 5 at most and possibly 3 inch

EXACTLY!

Run a 8” and 10” with consistency and let me know how your drill is doing  ;D

Many of them are Midwest guys I assume and not necissarily upper Midwest panfish guys, that’s fine. But pulling 20-30” trout out I want a minimum 8” and that still sucks in the cold and we get ice that’s over 3 foot thick it’s just a recipe for disaster for a guy who is gonna go as often as myself and drill  as-many holes.No way you’ll convince me these drill aren’t burning out as I use them daily for a living especially in the temps. I think once these Drill conversions get a few more seasons in with diameter holes conducive to here you are gonna see many failures equaling more money spent than just buying the actual auger in the first place

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2019, 04:38 AM »
Running the strike master pro  8 inch and love it

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Been running drill setups for over 5 years since they first came out. Got the original icemaster adapter before he sold it to kovac. Started with less than 600# and went up from there. Ridgid drills with 8" and 6" moras. Keep the blades sharp. That's the most important thing. No issues at all. Couldn't even imagine bringing out the old jiffy.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:27 AM »
this is a sound a dog makes..”Who is Scooby Doo”
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

timberdoodle

« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:15 AM »
EXACTLY!

Run a 8” and 10” with consistency and let me know how your drill is doing  ;D

Many of them are Midwest guys I assume and not necissarily upper Midwest panfish guys, that’s fine. But pulling 20-30” trout out I want a minimum 8” and that still sucks in the cold and we get ice that’s over 3 foot thick it’s just a recipe for disaster for a guy who is gonna go as often as myself and drill  as-many holes.No way you’ll convince me these drill aren’t burning out as I use them daily for a living especially in the temps. I think once these Drill conversions get a few more seasons in with diameter holes conducive to here you are gonna see many failures equaling more money spent than just buying the actual auger in the first place

Couldn’t be further from the truth. I run an 8” Lazer driven by a Milwaukee Fuel Hammer drill from here to the Canadian border for panfish to lake trout. To the tune of 1000+ holes a year and yet to have burn out a drill, same drill since 2013. If that’s not consistent drill I guess I don’t fish much.

Offline Turd Ferguson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:53 AM »
this is a sound a dog makes..”Who is Scooby Doo”

Absolutely awesome. I had to YouTube all the skits to watch again.
Uncle Dave's nephew

KCCO

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2019, 01:32 PM »
 4.5 inch Nils and a Dewalt cordless for pan fish and an Ion X 10 incher for lakers/pike.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:22 PM »

Couldn’t be further from the truth. I run an 8” Lazer driven by a Milwaukee Fuel Hammer drill from here to the Canadian border for panfish to lake trout. To the tune of 1000+ holes a year and yet to have burn out a drill, same drill since 2013. If that’s not consistent drill I guess I don’t fish much.

You said it not me. Glad it works for you. Like I said you’ll never convince me and I think you are in the minority but I’m glad it’s working out for you.

timberdoodle

« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2019, 03:14 PM »

You said it not me. Glad it works for you. Like I said you’ll never convince me and I think you are in the minority but I’m glad it’s working out for you.

I doubt it but thanks!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Lmao

timberdoodle

« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2019, 03:42 PM »

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:09 AM »
If anyone is interested I have a 3hp Jiffy I bought off our very own NH Trout Fisherman probably 10 years ago or maybe more. It's in great shape, I have a spare set of blades and it's got a Jiffy cover for the powerhead. I haven't been actively trying to sell it because it's such a cool thing to own, but using it?? Those days are over for me. I am too old and fat to haul that big thing around anymore but if you are a young, cornfed fisherman it would be a nice auger for you!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:47 AM »
I.have my own thoughts and opinions on this, for me,no one  tool ( auger is a tool)fits every scenario,  I'll keep my cordless drills for work ,as they work hard enough already, I bought an Ion X 8" , it's perfect for most scenarios,that I encounter ergonomically,  it's perfect  for my small ,short, frame, I have jiffy 8 and 10"  in 2 and 3 hp, I will keep them forever, I use them when the ice gets over 2' thick to save the ion, everyone has differant tastes and needs, find one option that suits your style and enjoy.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:50 AM »
I.have my own thoughts and opinions on this, for me,no one  tool ( auger is a tool)fits every scenario,  I'll keep my cordless drills for work ,as they work hard enough already, I bought an Ion X 8" , it's perfect for most scenarios,that I encounter ergonomically,  it's perfect  for my small ,short, frame, I have jiffy 8 and 10"  in 2 and 3 hp, I will keep them forever, I use them when the ice gets over 2' thick to save the ion, everyone has differant tastes and needs, find one option that suits your style and enjoy.

AND....the nice thing is that we have many more options, most are even affordable, than I did when I was a kid.

No one auger fits every scenario = that my friends is good advice!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:00 PM »
If anyone is interested I have a 3hp Jiffy I bought off our very own NH Trout Fisherman probably 10 years ago or maybe more. It's in great shape, I have a spare set of blades and it's got a Jiffy cover for the powerhead. I haven't been actively trying to sell it because it's such a cool thing to own, but using it?? Those days are over for me. I am too old and fat to haul that big thing around anymore but if you are a young, cornfed fisherman it would be a nice auger for you!
i love mine..Berliner so I still have the grit even though 50 is right around the corner
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:50 PM »

i love mine..Berliner so I still have the grit even though 50 is right around the corner

Don't worry Jibbs the 50s are great, your still a beast. The 60s things seem to be changing a bit.
John

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 17, 2019, 04:13 AM »
@ 63 I am still toting around a jiffy 3hp 10" but I did get a quad to help out...LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.