Author Topic: New Auger suggestions  (Read 13128 times)

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Auger suggestions
« on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:05 AM »
I have 2 augers (both hand augers).  An eskimo 8" hand auger and an 8" strikemaster lazer. I'm looking for the cheapest but also reliable upgrade as I have literally handcranked holes for the past 4 years in sometimes as much as 2 feet of ice.  And I'll put down 12+ traps when fishing with friends so that's a lot of holes and a lot of ice with a hand auger.  Looked at propane augers and they're expensive, also I don't know about them freezing up.  I'm sure there's ways around it.  I know gas tends to run a bit cheaper.  I'm considering just getting the clam plate and a nice drill.  I guess that would run me about the same as a new gas auger?  I know it's a boring/beat to death topic but any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Auger suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Get yourself a good drill and run the blades you got... simple solution...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:22 AM »
 With the wave of electric style augers ..both cordless drills and electric motors..gas augers both new and used can be had quite cheaply from various sites/platforms. Cordless drills offer you a tool to use in the off seasons..but can be a bit steep cost upfront . You are at the cross roads ..Could you use a good hand drill around the household ? If so that may be your answer ..Do you feel confident that you can purchase a good used auger that may be cheaper .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:30 AM »
I sold my gasser this winter, picking up a new 10” electric Strikemaster in 2 weeks. Ran one last year and it was so nice I sold my gasser. I ran it against the Ionx last year and a trophy strike and could do 2 holes to 1 with it compared to those and extreme temps with thick ice never skipped a beat. Been wanting electric for a long time. Was waiting for the Headaches to be gone and the time is here, it’s the future.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Just buy a nils, I take mine and it’s a hand one over my jiffy gas auger. Cuts like butter. Well worth the price

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:31 AM »
If you know how to work on mechanical machines the cheapest option is most likely the gas auger.  Since you have two flights already I'd suggest just going the drill route.  You'd need to get the drill and its up to you if you want the clam plate.  The Rigid drill doesn't fit the clam plate perfectly and prob pairs better with a milwaukee but it still does the job.  The clam plate provides you some more control and safety but plenty of people use the conversion kits without the plate.  There are so many options out there you really can't go wrong but there are pros and cons for each.
westernmas on the finder

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I sold my gasser this winter, picking up a new 10” electric Strikemaster in 2 weeks. Ran one last year and it was so nice I sold my gasser. I ran it against the Ionx last year and a trophy strike and could do 2 holes to 1 with it compared to those and extreme temps with thick ice never skipped a beat. Been wanting electric for a long time. Was waiting for the Headaches to be gone and the time is here, it’s the future.
I know you talked about this last year. Let me know how it goes. I know you will put it through a REAL test.
Seriously thinking about selling my IonX 10" for a new Strike. Don't get me wrong, its way better than gas, but I'm just not 100% impressed with  the way it cuts and the ergonomics. And yes I know guys rave about the Ion but theres a few things I just think could be better. Heard great things about the Strikemaster.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:41 AM »
I know you talked about this last year. Let me know how it goes. I know you will put it through a REAL test.
Seriously thinking about selling my IonX 10" for a new Strike. Don't get me wrong, its way better than gas, but I'm just not 100% impressed with  the way it cuts and the ergonomics. And yes I know guys rave about the Ion but theres a few things I just think could be better. Heard great things about the Strikemaster.

Will do I ran them side by side for a half dozen trips last year and the Strike was a Beast

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:42 AM »
If you don’t have one already, get yourself a good brushless drill with at least 800lb torque and put it on either one of those Augers. A extension of some sort is also going to be needed. Just start it slowly and ease up before it breaks through the bottom, both of those can catch the bottom of the ice and stop suddenly.  I highly recommend you get a clam plate, biggest reason is the leverage and control it gives you. Granted that ends up costing as much as a used/cheap power auger, but it’ll be a hell of a lot lighter and you’ll have a power tool for the rest of the year.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:46 AM »

I’m also waiting until after next week when I collect all my deer pool winnings  ;)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:48 AM »
I also considered the power tool route but using them every single day for a living I can’t fathom how they don’t burn out in a fairly quick fashion especially with the amount of holes I’ll drill and I really prefer 10”

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2019, 09:56 AM »
im a gas guy..the internet is loaded with gasser's for cheap
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2019, 10:40 AM »
im a gas guy..the internet is loaded with gasser's for cheap
This is the route I'd go if you don't want to spend too much money. Plenty of guys are switching to electric or propane and want to get rid of their gas auger. You can get a used Jiffy Model 30 for $150 or less, and the maintenance on them is pretty simple.
Propane and electric have the added benefit of no harmful exhaust, but the propane ones are heavier than the gas ones.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Just bite the bullet and get a Clam plate / drill setup. I switched a few years ago. Ended up giving my Eskimo gas auger away. Very few people are going with gas these days for all of the obvious reasons.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:15 AM »
I run a DeWalt and a Nils. Love it I tried one a few years back and gave my old jiffy away to someone getting into ice fishing and bought that.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I run a DeWalt and a Nils. Love it I tried one a few years back and gave my old jiffy away to someone getting into ice fishing and bought that.

One of the best setups for drilling, I love my nils wouldn’t trade it for anything

Offline Zachbfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:30 AM »
I was running a nils and milwaukee drill but switched to the eskimo pistol bit last year and its  awesome! The bit is super light and theres way less stress on the drill. Both are 8 inch augers. Pistol bit is definitely quick. Still have the handle for the nils as a backup

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:06 PM »
This is the route I'd go if you don't want to spend too much money. Plenty of guys are switching to electric or propane and want to get rid of their gas auger. You can get a used Jiffy Model 30 for $150 or less, and the maintenance on them is pretty simple.
Propane and electric have the added benefit of no harmful exhaust, but the propane ones are heavier than the gas ones.
they are everywhere
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Turd Ferguson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:51 PM »
I’ve had a Jiffy model 30, Jiffy propane and just switched over to an 8” Nils with a Dewalt 996.

First, I’ll never go back to anything but an auger/drill combo.

The Nils hype is real. I’ve used the hand auger set up multiple times and the drill combo a few times. I use the Kovak ice master adapter. This auger absolutely slices  through the ice.  So far, I love it.
Uncle Dave's nephew

KCCO

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Does "Alice’s" belong on AA's thread tangent?
Regardless, would you explain to me?

signed,
Genuinely Curious ?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Alice In Chains  :afro: :afro:

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Frank, you young bucks are talking over my head???  :-[

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:58 PM »
Alice in chains is a band.  Not sure what alice means in regards to drilling through ice.
Salmonemia

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2019, 09:21 PM »
That’s gotta be a spell-correct thing. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt on that. If it’s some new kind of new dangled slang, like referencing rabbit-holes from Alice In Wonderland,

Nahhh

I’d have to swallow my vomit.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:02 PM »
That’s gotta be a spell-correct thing. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt on that. If it’s some new kind of new dangled slang, like referencing rabbit-holes from Alice In Wonderland,

Nahhh

I’d have to swallow my vomit.
I was thinking along the lines of “like down the rabbit hole”.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2019, 04:11 AM »
I'm not going to nock anything a man's doing to get a hole  it's all preference and asking the wife with fear how you need a new auger I'm still running fuel and when the ice is thick strike master pro 8 inch is no joke

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2019, 05:01 AM »
You say you want cheap and reliable upgrade? Well, you already have the augers, right? And do you already a cordless drill? Then just get a $25 adapter...done. But there is more. Rule of thumb is 100# of torque per inch of auger, but not set in stone. Brushless drill is better than those with brushes, but not absolutely necessary. Clam plates and the like do make it safer and easier to use on a drill setup, but again, not the says all that ends all...just use caution.

My setup? A brushed, 600# drill with 4ah batteries,  4" and 6" laser augers, no Clam plate. I have used this setup for the past 2 years, going on 3, and would guess I have punched 500+ holes during this time ( I'm retired and fish a lot 😁) and have had zero issues. The one thing that may cause "overload" with this is ice thickness. But where I fish here in Michigan, it is rare to find ice over 12" thick. But so far so good.

Anyway, you got the auger,  you got a drill?, get the adapter and give it a go. If it doesn't work...just go up from there. Just my (winded) opinion. 😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2019, 05:59 AM »

Me too.

Alice in chains is a band.  Not sure what alice means in regards to drilling through ice.

Who knows with Frank what it means ever since he moved to Maine and stopped drinking PBR he has gotten a little loopy.

Offline Turd Ferguson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:08 AM »
Does "Alice’s" belong on AA's thread tangent?
Regardless, would you explain to me?

signed,
Genuinely Curious ?

Haha. Sorry. Stupid autocorrect.
Uncle Dave's nephew

KCCO

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Me too.

Who knows with Frank what it means ever since he moved to Maine and stopped drinking PBR he has gotten a little loopy.

Vacationland, it happens.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.