Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2016  (Read 55642 times)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2016
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Looks like being the ringmaster of the circus is going to be a full time job this season.

Glad (or hope) nothing was damaged by the rising water...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:29 PM »
01/11/2016

Had to do a quick "rescue" of mine and Laker Taker's bob house....they were in water from the snow melting and heavy rain. Water almost up to the floor so left work, hooked on with the wheeler and pulled both onto higher (dry) ground. Gray Wolf was there to lend a hand, thanks Gray Wolf.

My house in the water

Laker Taker's house in the water

Your house was on the Bridgewater Mt Snowmobile club facebook page today...I get their notifications on trail conditions...I recognized your house and thought it looked kinda funny like it was tilting a bit...turns out it was! Hope to see you out there!

Both on dry land

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Looks like being the ringmaster of the circus is going to be a full time job this season.

Glad (or hope) nothing was damaged by the rising water...

It's always a full time job but one i enjoy very much!

Nothing was damaged. Normally there is a beach there, we both thought we were on sand. I could barely make it to my house to put a strap on it without the water coming in over my boots. I did bring my waders just in case though.

All is good, this season i think we just need to react as best as we can, both proactive and reactive to what mother nature dishes out.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:11 PM »
Awesome 1st 2016 movie Jiggin. Thanks for taking the time and all the effort to keep us entertained with your vids.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Well, it didn't take long to start getting houses high and dry at the circus.   ;)
Glad it all worked out guys.

Offline ihunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Greetings, I'm new to this forum. Great to see a thread about Newfound, I usually fish small ponds for warmwater species but really want to get a better handle on fishing for lakers. Newfound is close for me so hopefully I can get out there this year and start catching some lakers! Any advice will be much appreciated!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Nice log ice house, but must be real heavy.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Nice log ice house, but must be real heavy.
Jiggin can make anything look like a log home.  ;D

It's a great facsimile, isn't it?

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Yeah pics had me convinced it was real.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline beerhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:11 AM »
Stopped bye the lake on way home to make sure everything was good with houses all looked good ... ice looks good ready for the weekend !might swing out fri night to push house out and set cusk lines.if any need help putting house out dont be afraid to ask we are all here to make it easy good luck circus go go get em tippen sry missed u sun maybe catch up on sat.oh and hi kitty

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:04 AM »
 :o :o  Jiggin,  this is exciting!!  Keep it up!   The Circus keeps all of us watching!
Dick

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Greetings, I'm new to this forum. Great to see a thread about Newfound, I usually fish small ponds for warmwater species but really want to get a better handle on fishing for lakers. Newfound is close for me so hopefully I can get out there this year and start catching some lakers! Any advice will be much appreciated!

Welcome ihunt.

A couple of things if your fishing Newfound:
Get yourself a motorola walkie talkie and go to channel 5.5, there are a bunch of us on this channel. Very informative, entertaining and not meant for kids.
Best place to park is at the Wellington Boat launch and go out from there. There are other spots to park / fish too.
If possible, use an underwater camera, water clarity is very good.
Lend a helping hand to someone that needs it and then have them pay it forward.
The winds can be extremely brutal.
Post up your adventures and experiences from Newfound on here. Keeps everyone informed and adds to the flavor of this thread.

As far as catching lakers, it's pretty easy for the most part.
I use a jig stick. 1oz Bucktail or Kastmaster or Pimple (something heavy) to bounce off bottom. Tip with either cut sucker meat or smelt on a single hook.
I aim for around 35 fow personally.
Underwater cameras will certainly help you land more lakers and fun to watch too.
Newfound has really nice rainbows too so having a tip up near shore is always a good idea.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this helped.

Offline ihunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:35 PM »
Welcome ihunt.

A couple of things if your fishing Newfound:
Get yourself a motorola walkie talkie and go to channel 5.5, there are a bunch of us on this channel. Very informative, entertaining and not meant for kids.
Best place to park is at the Wellington Boat launch and go out from there. There are other spots to park / fish too.
If possible, use an underwater camera, water clarity is very good.
Lend a helping hand to someone that needs it and then have them pay it forward.
The winds can be extremely brutal.
Post up your adventures and experiences from Newfound on here. Keeps everyone informed and adds to the flavor of this thread.

As far as catching lakers, it's pretty easy for the most part.
I use a jig stick. 1oz Bucktail or Kastmaster or Pimple (something heavy) to bounce off bottom. Tip with either cut sucker meat or smelt on a single hook.
I aim for around 35 fow personally.
Underwater cameras will certainly help you land more lakers and fun to watch too.
Newfound has really nice rainbows too so having a tip up near shore is always a good idea.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the info, hope to see you out on the lake!

Offline Tkell019

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:54 AM »
So there is about 3in of black ice? Is there any open water still? I might be up around newfound jan 21-24 to ski. If conditions are good i might have to make it a ice fishing trip instead!

Thanks everyone for this thread!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Hey Jiggin, what is the model of radio that gets channel 5.5? I have an older pair of Unidens but not sure if they do that channel...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Hey Jiggin, what is the model of radio that gets channel 5.5? I have an older pair of Unidens but not sure if they do that channel...

I've had good luck with the Motorola brand. For some reason, the Unidens don't work that great with the Motorola's either they come in weak or hard to hear. They do work but not that great with the Motorola's. Most of us on Newfound have the Motorola brand so that's what we recommend. Really anyone with 2 channels...a Big 5 and a Little 5 is what needs to be shown on the screen. If you only have one 5 and no little 5, then you can hear us but not talk to us (we can't hear you).
I have the yellow waterproof / floating model. It does float. Nice too, you can use the rechargeable batteries and when they die, you can put in AA batteries which will last longer than the rechargeable ones that come with it. They come as a pair so you always have one at home on the charger for the next day.
When your out there, holler out and let us know you made it out. We'll holler back and let you know what's working, what's not, depths etc etc....no secrets really once we are all on Newfound. Plenty of fish for everyone (except for the AVFD Derby, then it's game on).
I've attached a link, you can get them anywhere, not necessarily on this linked site. I just grabbed whatever link came up first to show you.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/communications/two-way-radios/motorola-talkabout-ms350r-waterproof-rechargable-radio-pair?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiNi0BRDaobaq3dKJhrwBEiQAyVThzTSqRCarWv1_uhUsssmQVYy3v05IZfktLshJNSUiN90aAuuS8P8HAQ

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:50 AM »
Great! Thank you for the info and link! I'll holler when I'm out there (If I buy one)
Just got an Otter XTH Lodge yesterday from Cabela's which is on it's way...can't wait to be inside out of the wind this season!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Great! Thank you for the info and link! I'll holler when I'm out there (If I buy one)
Just got an Otter XTH Lodge yesterday from Cabela's which is on it's way...can't wait to be inside out of the wind this season!

By all means, try your Unidens first before buying anything else. They will probably work as long as they have the 2 channels.

Congrats on the new Otter!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:01 PM »
By all means, try your Unidens first before buying anything else. They will probably work as long as they have the 2 channels.

Congrats on the new Otter!

Thank you, I will!

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:16 PM »
House looks great !!! Good luck this season. 
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:26 PM »
1/13/2016

Went up to look at the lake after work. Where my house is on shore, there is a crack in the ice that water must of come up in and caught the snow blowing by it. It looks wet and slushy and i doubt thick enough to walk on. It runs straight across from Cummings beach to the channel on the south side of Mayhew. North and South of the crack looks like black ice.

Troutfreak reported that there was only 3 - 3.5". The shore line looks open in spots north and south of Cummings beach.
The channel on the south side of Mayhew is wide open, Pike's cove is wide open too and it looked like there was open water all around the south end of the island about 30 yards out from it's shore. The north end of the island is wide open too, down to about a 1/3'd of the island south. So it looks like there might be ice around the middle of the island. Looks bad, wind blowing, white caps and big rolling waves. If it keeps windy, it will most likely open the water around the west side of the island.
This winds gotta stop, it's breaking up the main shore line separating it from the middle ice. 

Took a ride to the boat launch and the lake is wide open as expected. Boat launch hasn't been plowed out and glare ice. Wish i owned a sander. It's slick.

Was planning to push out the bob house this weekend but doubt it now. We shall see....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:45 AM »
1/13/2016

Went up to look at the lake after work. Where my house is on shore, there is a crack in the ice that water must of come up in and caught the snow blowing by it. It looks wet and slushy and i doubt thick enough to walk on. It runs straight across from Cummings beach to the channel on the south side of Mayhew. North and South of the crack looks like black ice.

Troutfreak reported that there was only 3 - 3.5". The shore line looks open in spots north and south of Cummings beach.
The channel on the south side of Mayhew is wide open, Pike's cove is wide open too and it looked like there was open water all around the south end of the island about 30 yards out from it's shore. The north end of the island is wide open too, down to about a 1/3'd of the island south. So it looks like there might be ice around the middle of the island. Looks bad, wind blowing, white caps and big rolling waves. If it keeps windy, it will most likely open the water around the west side of the island.
This winds gotta stop, it's breaking up the main shore line separating it from the middle ice. 

Took a ride to the boat launch and the lake is wide open as expected. Boat launch hasn't been plowed out and glare ice. Wish i owned a sander. It's slick.

Was planning to push out the bob house this weekend but doubt it now. We shall see....

Hmmm...not too good a start. I was thinking, after the early outings you had along with the colder weather, the lake would lock up this week. Well, on the plus side, my new shelter has shipped from Wisconsin...maybe there will be good ice by the time it arrives?

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Just my luck! Now that I got moved in to my house and got my license, the ice is getting sketchy again.

Well, I can always check on the pond up the road here.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #83 on: Jan 15, 2016, 05:44 AM »
Thank you for Newfound Circus 2016 video number one. Glad you got Laker Taker's and your shanties/bob houses back to shore before they suffered any damage. May all members of the Circus have a great season.
Steve

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:53 AM »
Thank you Mr. Clean.

Appreciate your comments.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:50 AM »
and so it begins......

LawnguyJack's house

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Cool beans!
Yours next Jiggin?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #87 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:34 PM »
1/15/2106

After work met up with Laker Taker to fix his ski on his runner at the lake.
While out there met a couple of new guys, Jeff (handle forth coming) and DirtDog. Couple of great guys. DirtDog got himself a laker while Jeff dropped his phone down the hole.
We introduced them to what the Newfound Circus is all about, funny though DirtDog actually came up from Mass because he searched the internet for laker fishing and a video of the Newfound Circus was one of the first things that popped up. So he came to Newfound to fish it.
Pleasure meeting the both of you and welcome to the Circus.

Laker Taker bumped his out onto the ice however I plan on waiting until this storm passes. I'll fish in my portable tomorrow.

There is about 5" of black ice off of Cummings beach.

Heard today someone got a nice rainbow off shore jigging.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #88 on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:15 PM »
1/15/2106

After work met up with Laker Taker to fix his ski on his runner at the lake.
While out there met a couple of new guys, Jeff (handle forth coming) and DirtDog. Couple of great guys. DirtDog got himself a laker while Jeff dropped his phone down the hole.
We introduced them to what the Newfound Circus is all about, funny though DirtDog actually came up from Mass because he searched the internet for laker fishing and a video of the Newfound Circus was one of the first things that popped up. So he came to Newfound to fish it.
Pleasure meeting the both of you and welcome to the Circus.

Laker Taker bumped his out onto the ice however I plan on waiting until this storm passes. I'll fish in my portable tomorrow.

There is about 5" of black ice off of Cummings beach.

Heard today someone got a nice rainbow off shore jigging.
You on hard water yet?? Got my small wheel house out today!! May swap it out for its big sister next weekend if the ice makes! Pictures on the maine site
Is it ice time yet???

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:20 PM »
1/16 & 17th.

Busy weekend. Saturday although snowing, sleeting and raining there still was a bunch of us out there. Set up my portable and fished out of that.
Guinea and Ladybug came out and toughed out the weather, Taint moved his house out onto the lake, 8x8 and Family made it, Draz and company made it up as well as Troutfreak and Maggot, Tippin fished with Laker Taker. I'm sure I'm missing a few others....trying to remember back however it was Great getting to see and spend time with everyone. I ended up with only 1 laker but did see quite a few on the camera. Laker Taker with 2 for the day.

Sunday was a slow day, I fished in Laker Taker's house and Tippin took portable duty. We had several visitors during the day and they were doing some filming on shore...not sure what but it looked to be professional. Met an older gentleman who was watching for the eagles we have on the lake. Told me a lot about eagles and was very informative.
Capt. Black and Eddie Spaghetti made it out and Green Goblin came by for a visit. Later in the day, Momma and Daddy Laker Taker stopped out to see my house and bring us cookies. Tippin and I ate them all, don't think Laker Taker got any.
Laker Taker got 2 and Tippin 1. I got skunked, lost one while talking to some folks who came out to see what ice fishing was all about.
We moved Grey Wolf's house onto the lake today so the Circus is gaining momentum. I still have mine on shore and hoping to push it out late this coming week.

Videos and pictures forth coming once i put them together.

Great weekend everyone, Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.