Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2016  (Read 55643 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Newfound Circus Season 2016
« on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:22 PM »
01/01/2016

Happy New Years everyone. Welcome to the Newfound Circus Season 2016 thread.

Normally i would have had a 2 week marathon early ice fishing adventure under my belt, the bob house would have been on Cummings beach with several others around and we would just be getting home from our first day of fishing Lake Trout waters: Newfound Lake.
Sad to say, this is not the case. I've been on hard water but not enough to get into anything deep enough to drop a line. All my chores are done, bob house(s) are ready, tip ups set up, Jig stick re-strung, Chisel sharpened, Augers tuned up, Snowmobile and ATV registered along with the trailers, Bait all set for the season, everything is ready to go and here I sit. There really isn't much more I can do other than wait.

Looking at the forecast, things might change for the better then some more warm temps. We've seen this before and it means that we will have to be at the ready for any changes in conditions. Unfortunately we will have to work with Mother Nature's schedule this season and prepare / react accordingly.

This really is a test of what we do on Newfound. It's easy to help each other out when conditions are good but when they become difficult, it's a test of our camaraderie. We've been tested before and we've pulled together to get through. We will do the same this season too like any other.

Just remembering some of the past, i recall a bunch of holes one year opening up all over the lake. Driving anything Atv or Snowmobile was dangerous, some of these holes were bigger than a truck. Randomly opening up all over and very close to swallowing houses. Had a lot of house rescued that season, got really good at moving houses. Remembering too the year Newfound never froze and there was a big hole in the middle of the lake all season. Lost a few vehicles through the ice, almost lost an ATV in 120 for and almost lost my best friend.

More importantly what I do remember is everyone pulling together to help each other out when ever it was needed. I remember there were a few seasons that it was more about helping out than fishing those entire seasons. No one complained, just did what you needed to.
Most of these events are listed on previous Newfound Circus threads or Jiggin's diary threads from years past.

For those that don't know, this thread is about posting up whatever experience you had ice fishing on Newfound Lake. We are all part of this Circus when you fish Newfound. For the most part no one is serious, life moves in a different direction, humor is king / laughter is queen and we have fun. We welcome you to tune in on the radio (FRS Chanel 5.5) and join in the calamity, debauchery and unknown. Warning: it is not child friendly usually.
We will also give updates, fishing reports, emergency calls and feedback on events held on Newfound. We use the radio to communicate all over the lake so your really never alone if you don't want to be.
Please feel free to post and add pictures / videos of your experiences on this thread. It's fun to see whats happening around the lake. I predict some interesting stories this season.

Also, don't be afraid to lend a helping hand when you can. An act of kindness can always be paid forward.

So with this, i raise my hand with respect to all that fish this awesome lake and say to you, Let the madness begins!

Cheers

Jiggin.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2016
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2016, 01:38 AM »
 :clap: :thumbsup:

Over the years here and on Newfound I've come to know several members of the Circus. Many good people with a common interest which is ice fishing and having a good time doing it.

I'd have to say the #1 thing I strongly admire about them is their camaraderie and their "Pay it Forward" policy. As most of us know ice fishing can be many things...  A way to relax and get away from the everyday rat race at work... spend time with family friends... and simply take a moment to enjoy the outdoors and the beautiful scenery on the lake. We all Love it for our own reasons.

We also know that at times conditions aren't always optimal and that mother nature doesn't always cooperate.  That's when you really see what the Circus is all about. Friends helping Friends and Paying it Forward.

I applaud these folks for that. I personally find it to be a very admirable quality.
Best Wishes to You all in the coming year and this season on the ice. As Always. Have Fun & Stay Safe!  ;)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2016, 04:48 AM »
I hope you folks get ice down there soon.  This is my go to thread every Monday morning for some good laughs from your weekend adventures.  :)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:59 AM »

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2016, 01:21 PM »
01/02/2016

Made it onto some ice today with Laker Taker. "Some" is probably an overstatement. There was about 2" of slush ice with snow on top and water coming onto the ice. The good news was the water on the ice was freezing including our holes. Snowed for most of the morning and around 23f.

Made it onto 3 - 4 fow and was able to get 3 lines in each. I had 2 flags, one bait rape and the other killed my red fin shiner. Laker Taker got 1 flag / bait rape.

Was nice being able to get some lines in however every step was a bit scary and cracking. Our season has started but a slow start to begin with.

Pics forthcoming.....

Did a good deed at the end of the day by helping a woman and her daughter get some help with their flat tire.

Time for a nap after i get my lines hung up drying by the wood stove and truck reloaded for another day.

Offline KeepaCatcha

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Thanks JIGGIN for keeping this thread up and running. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2016 has in store for the circus crew. Best of luck everyone!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2016, 03:16 PM »
 ::)  Jiggin!  Late ice is still your fault??   Now you have to keep us happy with more of your super videos!
Dick

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Let's all take a deep breath before Jiggin has to report to "The Captain" ( he has the PLANK) - any role in late ice caused by butter flavored Crisco and double chocolate donuts? Just asking!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Forgot to mention, saw a bald eagle fly over head today.

3 lines out each only.....

an underwater video on the way. Stay tuned....

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Nice job buddy!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Nice job guys !!
It has begun, be safe and think smart out there everyone !
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:34 PM »
how much ice ???

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:46 PM »
Sorry for the poor footage, first time using Youtube video editor in a long time....

If you look closely you can see 2 browns that had been playing with us today.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:51 PM »
 ???
Let's all take a deep breath before Jiggin has to report to "The Captain" ( he has the PLANK) - any role in late ice caused by butter flavored Crisco and double chocolate donuts? Just asking!

??? ::)  I don't know?  Has Jiggin been using Butter Flavored Crisco and Frosted Chocolate Donuts?
Dick

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:10 AM »
Went through all of our gear yesterday and we're ready to get out there. Just need some ice now.
-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:28 AM »
WooHoo 2016 Circus thread!!! Thanks Jiggin.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Jig em up!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2016, 12:22 PM »
1/03/2016

Made it back out today. Seemed a bit warmer to start in the morning as compared to yesterday but cooled off as the day went on. Overcast, no wind.

Great to see some familiar faces today, folks that we typically only see once or twice a year at this same spot during early ice. Had some good laughs.

Was able to get 6 lines in each.
Got a nice rainbow and lost another at the hole. Saw 2 other rainbows caught and a male brown about 16".
Got to see the eagle again, just watching us and waiting.

Cooked up some bacon and eggs on the back of the truck and had a decent time.

Go Pats!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:02 PM »
My first rainbow of the season.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:46 PM »
Nice bow ya got there, Jiggin

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:21 AM »

Great looking Bow...

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:28 AM »
anyone know what weekend  the derby is this year ? need to start making arrangements
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:33 AM »
anyone know what weekend  the derby is this year ? need to start making arrangements

Heard it was Feb 27 & 28th.

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Nice bow!! Good to see the Circus thread again, Thanks

Good luck, Stay safe

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:37 AM »

Derby is scheduled for Valentine's Day weekend, Feb 13th & 14th....which should make for some angry wives or unhappy husbands. I would think it would be pushed back this year if we don't see some cold weather soon.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Derby is scheduled for Valentine's Day weekend, Feb 13th & 14th....which should make for some angry wives or unhappy husbands. I would think it would be pushed back this year if we don't see some cold weather soon.

I believe he was asking about the Newfound aka Alexandria Fire Dept. Derby. which is Feb 27 & 28

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:42 AM »
well that sucks ...I was hoping it would be the weekend before...I'll have to figure something out
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:16 PM »
1/7/2016

With Tippin's help, i was able to get my new bob house onto the Cummings beach tonight. Thank you very much Tippin.

It took a while but we were able to get it in place so when the ice thickens, it's just a push and shove out.

Tomorrow going to put in a couple of tip ups and sit in the house....time to relax! Ahhhh.......

Early ice season was very short, only did one lake. Worst early ice season ever...but things are about to change.....

The Circus is in town!!!

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:36 PM »
1/7/2016

With Tippin's help, i was able to get my new bob house onto the Cummings beach tonight. Thank you very much Tippin.

It took a while but we were able to get it in place so when the ice thickens, it's just a push and shove out.

Tomorrow going to put in a couple of tip ups and sit in the house....time to relax! Ahhhh.......

Early ice season was very short, only did one lake. Worst early ice season ever...but things are about to change.....

The Circus is in town!!!

Good to hear Jiggin.

Best of Luck with the new house and the previous one if You are using both? Hope to see You all out there a few times this season once it gets going.

Offline MFDIRT13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:40 PM »
One day out on a small lake caught some brookies but I am ready for ice on Newfound!
On the hunt for TROUT!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.