Author Topic: aluminum shanty pics and progress  (Read 28309 times)

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: aluminum shanty pics and progress
« Reply #60 on: Nov 18, 2013, 04:08 PM »

Thanks guys,

This weekend I hope we can have the shanty weather tight......  Then comes the tedious part of wiring and interior work. Cant wait to spend the first night on the ice, This shanty has been in the works since the middle of last season. Now I gotta find a good used inverter generator, like a honda or yamaha 2000w..... pretty tough to come by!

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Bigtoe27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Few more progress pics from today. Jimmyrig and I installed panels and windows on the v-nose and also some of the roof:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:43 PM »
That thing is nuts... Great work guys.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Very nice looking
Great workmanship!!!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 24, 2013, 05:57 AM »
Very nice guys! That should last until the end of time.  @)

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Nov 24, 2013, 09:23 AM »
  True craftsmanship!!! Thanks for the updates, it's fun following your progress
John

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #66 on: Nov 24, 2013, 10:29 AM »
What do you plan on running for tires on that? The wide or narrow? I'm sure on plain ice there shouldn't be an issue, but I'm just wondering your thoughts as far as deeper snow conditions.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
« Reply #67 on: Nov 24, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Very nice, can't wait to see the finish project.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 24, 2013, 01:12 PM »

Are you planning to have a ridge vent or some type of hinged opening on the ridge line (much like a greenhouse)?
I noticed in the pictures of the roof the center wasn't closed yet and was curious.

This thing looks amazing…

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Nov 24, 2013, 06:59 PM »
What do you plan on running for tires on that? The wide or narrow? I'm sure on plain ice there shouldn't be an issue, but I'm just wondering your thoughts as far as deeper snow conditions.

Pat

Hey pat,  we have run four wheeler tires in the past, they work pretty well, but they tend to offer a lot of resistance in the deep snow. Believe it or not, the skinny road tires offer less resistance in the deep snow, and they tend to cut through it pretty good..... We have had heavier wood framed shantys with wheels in the past.....
We will have a pair of bolt on aluminum skis in case it gets really deep, but I think we are good up to 16 inches with the wheels alone.

Jimmy

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Great looking shanty. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Are you planning to have a ridge vent or some type of hinged opening on the ridge line (much like a greenhouse)?
I noticed in the pictures of the roof the center wasn't closed yet and was curious.

This thing looks amazing…

Hey Dennis,
 Thanks for the compliment, I really like to follow the builds on here as we'll.....and we have learned a lot from everybody's suggestions and comments. The clear panels in which we used on the roof were only available in 4x8. So they came up a bit short,which is why the gap in the ridge. We are capping the top section with a bent up aluminum cap. As far as venting, we have an rv style crank vent in the roof, as well as the 8 windows that will slide open if needed.... Also have outside air going to stove.

Thanks jimmy

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Nicer than my house bub.. Keep up the good work!
Life is good!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #73 on: Nov 24, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Great work and craftsmanship! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for the progress reports and we look forward to the rest. :thumbsup:

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline bob the hand roller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Wow, now that is impressive.  Looks like you have done this before.  never saw a v nose and roof like this one.
How road worthy do you think it is going to be, (could it handle 70 mph across I-90 for 12 hrs.)
"May your rod always be handy"

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #75 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Wow. Awesome job guys.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Wow, now that is impressive.  Looks like you have done this before.  never saw a v nose and roof like this one.
How road worthy do you think it is going to be, (could it handle 70 mph across I-90 for 12 hrs.)

Welcome to the site bob, I would want to have a spare tire with me making that trip. And I think I would keep it under 65, but I do think it would pull fine, road worthy she is. Where are you headin that is 12 hours away anyway?          Thanks for the kind words Swamp donkey....

more pics coming soon, I was working alone this weekend and I missed the help of my partner. So no pics yet.

Thanks, Jimmy

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:04 AM »
great looking house man, you may wanna list it under your homeowners insurance policy  for piece of mind ;D

Offline bob the hand roller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Jimmy, 
I travel to and from NH to my ice fishing spot on lake erie for some monster perch.  Almost guaranteed to limit out on delicious fillets to fill the ice chest every time I make the trip.  Have some good buds as well to hang out with there with.  We have a shack there, but would love to have something like your beautiful piece of art.  Most of the houses there are just your pop up kind, a few keep them there on the inside of the peninsula during the season but nothing as impressive as this.  What do you think it would take to haul this there for a season then back to NH.  Thanks

"May your rod always be handy"

Offline Bigtoe27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Exciting day today on the build. Got the shack weather tight, got it outside, and even lit the woodstove! Here are some updated pics:

Countertop with cooktop and sink

Wood stove in action

Carpet installed

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Jimmy that thing is beautiful!!!! :thumbsup: Now, question. Being how high off the ice that is, when you drill your holes, do you have an extension for your auger if the ice is thick? Just a thought. Or is that a divide and conquer when you get there? Did you scotch guard the carpet for blood stains?!  :roflmao:

Pat

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #81 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Wow. That thing is sick. If you start sellin em I want one.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:04 PM »
 ::) ::) It is a Shanty above and beyond ;D ;D I expect to see it on videos for the Winni Derby, although I think it would be at home on Minn.  shanty city!!   A work of ice fishing art!!
Dick

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:07 PM »
A work of ice fishing art!!!

An absolute PERFECT definition!

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Jimmy that thing is beautiful!!!! :thumbsup: Now, question. Being how high off the ice that is, when you drill your holes, do you have an extension for your auger if the ice is thick? Just a thought. Or is that a divide and conquer when you get there? Did you scotch guard the carpet for blood stains?!  :roflmao:

Pat

Good point Pat, that may turn out to be an issue. I guess we may need to get an extension..... And good point in regards to the scotch guard.... Keep those suggestion coming.

Jimmy

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Good point Pat, that may turn out to be an issue. I guess we may need to get an extension..... And good point in regards to the scotch guard.... Keep those suggestion coming.

Jimmy

What kind of auger are you running? There is a guy on CL selling 6 and 12 inch extensions on there brand new.

Offline Bigtoe27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Wow. We didn't realize it until we got the shack out of the shop and got a better look at it... But it really looks like the Mr. Rogers trolley...

;D

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:14 PM »
We got lucky too.... The tongue wieght turned out to be perfect, and it is surprisingly light as well. Our last shack was way to heavy at the tongue and was a bit heavy on the back of the four wheeler..... Still lots of work left.

Jimmy

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:18 PM »
What kind of auger are you running? There is a guy on CL selling 6 and 12 inch extensions on there brand new.

Jiffy pro 4 propane

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #89 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:27 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.