Author Topic: aluminum shanty pics and progress  (Read 28308 times)

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
aluminum shanty pics and progress
« on: Apr 21, 2013, 08:13 PM »

progress so far, welded up the 1 inch aluminum frame and scored the tinted shuttle bus windows on craigslist. Staining floor now, and will be sheathing the walls soon. still have to frame out the rear bump out for the wood stove, but ran out of stock. will post more pics as we progress.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: aluminum shanty pics and progress
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:19 AM »
Nice work!

Are you making shanty so it can be raised and lowered to the ice, or leave it on wheels?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:45 AM »

Havent decided yet, gonna leave it up on wheels for now, but may design a lowering mechanism later. Only concern is that the trailer is 8.5 feet wide now and a lowering mechanism would probably put me wider than the limit. We have had high shantys before, the negative is that it can be tough to auger thru thick ice, the positive is that you do not usually get the ice melt around your shanty.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Looks great! Nice work.

Are you welding the alum. yourself? or screwing it together?

Why a wood stove? Why not propane ie: vent-less blue flame propane heater with thermostat? Less weight and no hot / cold effects.

If your too tall for your drill, you can always add an extension to the auger blade.

You could also add old snowmobile ski's to the wheels too for pulling in deep snow.

Keep us updated.....looks like a great project.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:40 AM »

Wow... looks great.

Thanks for the updates...

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2013, 12:38 PM »

been welding the wall frames and trusses myself, but will bolt the walls together at the corners and to the deck because it wont fit in my garage at this point. Was using dibond on walls and kalwall on roof but I just scored 20 sheets of white transluscent kalwall for 15 bucks a sheet and they are 5x10 so I might use the kalwall for everything. I just do not want an all white shanty so I am hesitant. Always used a wood stove so never gave thought to propane for heat anyways.  Thanks for the comments guys! I think those ultralite and thin tinted windows are my best score yet.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Some things to think about:

Holes in the floor: enough space to get an auger in comfortably so your not rapping your knuckles while drilling. Make sure your handles on your auger fit without hitting the walls. Square holes big enough for your auger with gasket (round bucket hole in the middle of your "gasket". Maybe a piece of 2' x 2' carpet) and some sort of bucket (2 spliced together) to keep the draft out and reach your holes.

Windows: Good score!!...might want them low enough so you can sit and still see out your windows without having to stand up to see your tip ups etc....

Storage: In the roof rafters.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:34 PM »
 Thanks Jiggin,  keep those suggestions coming... as you can imagine this shanty is not an inexpensive project so i do not want to forget or miss the important stuff. I got 12 of those windows in that one pic,they are super light, and we are gonna use 8 of them, you can see the openings in the framing. I do not want to have to keep getting up and twisting my neck around to try to check traps and such..... We will be able to see really well I hope. Gonna be a beast at 8.5 x 15 from back to tip of v front, not including the 30" bump out that is not framed yet. My goal is to keep it around 1000 lbs. or less....... we will see. Any recommendations for covering floor?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2013, 06:58 PM »
I used Herculiner...it's black textured and hard rubber like. Folks use it on their pickup truck beds instead of putting in a hard plastic bed liner. Holds up well and good to get wet.

On the floor of my house, I have plywood, then foam insulation and then luon ontop of that...my insulation is "sandwiched" between my plywood floor and luon. Then I top coat it with the Herculiner.

I can understand the wanting to get it right as it is not inexpensive. Please keep this thread updated and I'll chime in with some things to think about.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:38 PM »
  Havent decided yet, gonna leave it up on wheels for now, but may design a lowering mechanism later. Only concern is that the trailer is 8.5 feet wide now and a lowering mechanism would probably put me wider than the limit. We have had high shantys before, the negative is that it can be tough to auger thru thick ice, the positive is that you do not usually get the ice melt around your shanty.

You are correct about the melt around the house when it is higher up. I built my shack on a utility trailer, only down fall is the reach of the auger.thinking about putting crank jacks on each corner this year, enabling me to raise/lower the shack for easier drilling.

This past season I scored some dumpster dive snow-boards from Gunstock and cut one in half, slid each half under each tire and slid the shack right off the ice.. Pretty slick I must say..

Good luck, it's really taking shape! Nice work!!
Life is good!

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Thanks Altonbay,

Just curious, would you take the shack off the trailer in order to jack up and down? I will not be able to take the shack off the trailer......I think I will just leave it up high for now. It kills me to tie up a 1000.00 aluminum trailer just for a shanty, but I guess I do not really have a choice... It would be too much to remove it all the time and I would inherently damage it at some point. I really like your idea about the snowboards....

BTW, anyone looking for kalwall material, I found a nice fella in barnstead that has trailer loads of all types and sizes for about 1 dollar a running foot. for example, a 4x8 sheet would be 8 dollars. He said that he sells the stuff to mostly ice shanty builders. you cant beat that! Now I gotta find 10 sheets of 1 inch foam insulation somewhere for a cheap price, cause I am going broke on this thing!

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2013, 06:35 AM »
My shack is built on the trailer, it's a permanent fixture.
Life is good!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2013, 03:45 PM »

Thanks Altonbay,

Just curious, would you take the shack off the trailer in order to jack up and down? I will not be able to take the shack off the trailer......I think I will just leave it up high for now. It kills me to tie up a 1000.00 aluminum trailer just for a shanty, but I guess I do not really have a choice... It would be too much to remove it all the time and I would inherently damage it at some point. I really like your idea about the snowboards....

BTW, anyone looking for kalwall material, I found a nice fella in barnstead that has trailer loads of all types and sizes for about 1 dollar a running foot. for example, a 4x8 sheet would be 8 dollars. He said that he sells the stuff to mostly ice shanty builders. you cant beat that! Now I gotta find 10 sheets of 1 inch foam insulation somewhere for a cheap price, cause I am going broke on this thing!
try big jims for the insulation

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Looking real good!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2013, 04:29 AM »
HOLY COW! Bob house?! More like condo! Looking good! Thanks for the pics. Can't wait to see the finished product.

H8
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Jimy........ Lookin nice my friend. Dont forget the stairs and railing. It will make it easier to carry the pastry tray in and out.

Why not paint it like the partridge family bus so it's not all white. That would fit your personality ya jackwagon!

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2013, 04:45 PM »
 Looks great so far, please keep us updated on your progress.
John

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2013, 05:08 PM »

will keep posting guys,  saving up some cash to keep this project moving and still searching around for a really good deal on some new or lightly used 1 inch rigid insulation. need about 10 sheets.

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Looks awesome, keep us posted.  I might be able to get you some insulation.  Ill check tonight.   

Wheels /Skis  - being to high off the ice...  maybe build an adapter to bolt on to the hub that holds a ski/snow board or runner.  The right design could lower it 4-6 inches, maybe more, and make travling in high snow and slop better.  End of the year bolt the wheels back on and drive it home
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:50 PM »
how  about going to the guys who blow the insl..... into houses  it couldnt cost that much   & youul be so much warmer
koool  thoght dude

oh no Ive gotta get  fishin  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Good Idea Potbelly,

They get way too much money for that stuff around my way, got qouted like 2000.00 bucks, works good, but cant swing that right now.

Jimmyrig

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 05:53 PM »

Here is a pic of the woodstove I just made for the bumpout. Still saving up for some more materials for the outside of the shanty, this kept me busy for a few days.[img][/img]

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 08:00 PM »
looking good keep up the good work

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Where did you get the fish that's on the door?  It looks really cool and I'd like to buy one.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44 PM »

Chris,
        I made it by hand and welded it to the front of the stove, what would you need it for? Ordered all my sheathing for the shanty over the weekend, so new pics coming soon when it arrives and I can get going. Black flies and skeeters are pretty heavy up here right now.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35 AM »
i love the fish on the stove. nice artwork!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 07:01 PM »

Thank you for the compliments guys, I will post more progress soon.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 05:53 AM »

that is sweet looking forward to more pics

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jun 30, 2013, 02:38 PM »
  Were are you Jimmy? Haven't seen a post in over a month, your not slacking on us are you?
John

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jun 30, 2013, 03:05 PM »

Hey Caveman,

Thanks for watching out for me :)        I have been bogged down with work lately..... This is my busy time of the year, I have been accumulating materials and I will definitely post pics of any new progress. Every day I pull in the driveway and look at the shack and I cant wait to have the time to get working on it again..... hopefully soon.

Jimmy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.