Author Topic: OT--Anyone Tapping trees for Maple syrup?  (Read 18753 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OT--Anyone Tapping trees for Maple syrup?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I currently have 3 turkey fryers going when I have enough to boil. I run 5 gallons at a time in each one at full blast, they boil down to about 1 gallon or less each in about 3.5hours. I then bring it in the house to finish it up, got a pretty good system going that way. So I can take 15 gallons of sap, down to syrup in about 4hrs 15 minutes from start to finish.

I havent had the burn issue yet, once in the house i cook on high until it starts to really boil with the foam, then I turn it way down and start testing with the hydrometer and I just leave the thermometer in the sap and watch until it gets close to 218 and then i know we are just about done.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:18 PM »
I boil to 219 degrees, as soon as I reach 215 I let the fire burn down and finish on the stove or turkey fryer... Perfect every time... Invest in a digital thermometer for a fryer... I think I spent 20 bucks...but knowing the temp saves everything

2X
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline Holden Turbitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:30 PM »
i just built my first pit, used propane before but this works much better, and alot faster. we put 3 10 gallon pots on it at a time and go down to just one.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Still boiling down as we speak, about another hour or two and should be done.  Got chased inside early with a sick child house is a bit humidified at this point, but the single digit temps will suck that right out tonight....LOL.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Holden,

That is a nice set up!  Thanks for sharing.

OD

Offline South_Texas70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing Holden! I had thought of building a fire pit as well, nice to get an idea of how to go about putting one together! Is that a smoke stack towards the back of the pit or just your second pan warming on the bricks? I like the set up.

Tex :tipup:

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #66 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:56 AM »
I am definately considering trying this next year after following this post..  I've already spotted several trees in the back and looking into getting supplies. One question I have after looking at some of your pictures and the evaporators you have made...do you need direct heat right on the pan/pot?  Reason for my question is that I replace lots of pool heaters each year, and after seeing potatomans filing cabinet idea it set me to thinking of using an old pool heater. The heaters have a copper heat exchanger in them so would building a fire under that take the sap longer to boil or would it be best to remove the heat exchanger so the heat/flames hits the pot directly?
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I think that whatever heat source you use you just need to make sure it can bring your sap to a boil. I got a nice stainless steel pan and had hoped to place it right on the burners for my propane BBQ grill, I found out quickly that its great for cooking steak but wouldnt bring the sap to a boil with any speed. So I went back to the big pots on the turkey fryers. I dont know what kind of heat or BTU's that a pool heater puts out, but I believe the turkey fryers put out 54000 BTU's I am going to come up with something a bit better next year..I found this 3 burner rectangle outdoor "stove" that supposedly puts out 54000btu's at each burner. My plan will be to get a nice square/rectangle pan that can hold 5-10 gallons and go from there.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I am definately considering trying this next year after following this post..  I've already spotted several trees in the back and looking into getting supplies. One question I have after looking at some of your pictures and the evaporators you have made...do you need direct heat right on the pan/pot?  Reason for my question is that I replace lots of pool heaters each year, and after seeing potatomans filing cabinet idea it set me to thinking of using an old pool heater. The heaters have a copper heat exchanger in them so would building a fire under that take the sap longer to boil or would it be best to remove the heat exchanger so the heat/flames hits the pot directly?

If you use a heat exchanger you will have to either use steam or glycol to get the temp above 220F .  That can be done easy enough.  You can also us an electric water heater core.  The main problem is, as Scott mentioned, getting the energy to the sap.  A big fire engulfing the bottom of the kettle created by scrap wood and tree limbs out your backyard is hard to beat for cheap and efficient.  I have been fortunate enough in my life to have worked in and built breweries, and there is some really cool things you could do, but the cost of home made syrup would be crazy high. The best cheap and dirty way would likely be to make a concrete block cooking structure with some wind protection, then go to the scrap yard and buy two or three old ber kegs, get a metal blade for a circular saw and cut the tops off.  This would be a fairly cheap way to go.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Hmmm, beer kegs.... are they aluminum or stainless? I want to get set up for wood too, Lp is BRUTAL!!!

Especially when you scorch TWO gallon sized batches!!!  :'( :'( :'(
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Hmmm, beer kegs.... are they aluminum or stainless? I want to get set up for wood too, Lp is BRUTAL!!!

Stainless

OD

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #71 on: Mar 18, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Thanks guys for the info..I think this week I'll take a ride over to Parker's maple house in Brookline have some good eats and see if they have any old gear they don't use.
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline South_Texas70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Thanks guys for the info..I think this week I'll take a ride over to Parker's maple house in Brookline have some good eats and see if they have any old gear they don't use.

I was able to find tubing, taps, buckets, etc at an AGWAY in Belmont, they even sold used galvanized pails and covers. Better get them quick, I think the sap will start running again next week!!

Offline Holden Turbitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing Holden! I had thought of building a fire pit as well, nice to get an idea of how to go about putting one together! Is that a smoke stack towards the back of the pit or just your second pan warming on the bricks? I like the set up.

its a smoke stack to keep the smoke directed away from the pot. the smoke can get in and give it a kind of a smokey taste.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I was able to find tubing, taps, buckets, etc at an AGWAY in Belmont, they even sold used galvanized pails and covers. Better get them quick, I think the sap will start running again next week!!

There is a guy on craigslist selling a TON of setups for $8 each in Franklin....buckets, lids, and taps all for $8

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #75 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:51 PM »
I thought I was done boiling for the day and checked my trees.. Pulled 20 gallons of sap today... So I will be boiling again this weekend. My filing cabinet is working great, and I am finishing on the turkey fryer... My wife hates the way the filing cabinet boiler looks, but I love it... She will win when I bring it to the dump and feed her some sugar...
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:26 PM »
I thought I was done boiling for the day and checked my trees.. Pulled 20 gallons of sap today... So I will be boiling again this weekend. My filing cabinet is working great, and I am finishing on the turkey fryer... My wife hates the way the filing cabinet boiler looks, but I love it... She will win when I bring it to the dump and feed her some sugar...

Nice haul for a cold day.

Oddfish

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:29 PM »
This is my first year of testing out this new hobby as well.  My 5 year old saw Curious george making maple syrup and we had to try it. I tapped my trees Wednesday last week and after my first boil with my 10 gallon beer pot and propane burner I have a little more than two cups of syrup.  Planning to boil again next weekend again, which should get another 5 cups or so.

I was lucky to already have a propane burner and big stainless pot and 6 gallon buckets to collect the sap.  I went to lowes and spent $8 on tubing and some clearance fittings described in this video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7sWu7F6Ws&feature=related

Also, from an earlier post... my uncle gave me 6 gallons of sap last year that I boiled down to 3 gallons that I used as the base of a maple porter which came out delicious.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Maple porter, soundes terrific! Send some my way!

Btw you may want to wait to boil until you have more sap, you can store it in bins buried in the snow (that's what I did when I was only tapping a few trees) then I would boil when I had 40 gallons..

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:35 PM »
 You guys are killin me.....I used to tap the maples when I lived south of here, now I cant find one anywhere in my nieghborhood.......Map le porter, now your talkin!
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Come to think of it that keg went dry pretty quick   :P ... maybe I am due to make another batch.  I would rather make 40 gallons at a time but wouldn't that be tough with one ten gallon pot and burner?  I was thinking that would take about 18 hours plus to boil down...

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Find flatter shallow pans, those deep pots are great for cooking lobster, but not a great choice for efficiency of evaporating... You should also preheat sap before you add it to your boil so you don't loose energy...

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Clay, all that sap you got today, when did you last empty your buckets?? I didnt bother even checking mine today, but i know it had to run a bit cause my truck said 39 while i was driving home for a temp.

Im gonna wait until Wednesday to check them.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Saturday, but today was the first warm day...
I have some trees producing tons of sap and others bone dry..
I wanted to empty before the storm and ill get out again on Friday for the new stuff

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Thanks!! I have a feeling I have a bunch out there right now, I got 5 gallons the other day when it only hit 34 degrees...it will hold until im ready I guess LOL I picked up 35 gallons tonight from a guy who had too much and im boiling as we speak...my eyebrows are sticky from repeatedly checking it LOL

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:12 PM »
I put six taps in three big trees on Wednesday last week and brought about 5 gallons inside friday after work.  I got home tonight and checked them again to find about 6 combined gallons in the three buckets. I cannt imagine much ran today so maybe i collected close to 3 gallons on both Saturday and Sunday. I am thinking sap wont be running tomorrow but I think temps are supposed to rise on Wednesday so I am optimistic to think I will have another 9-12 gallons on Sunday.

Like I said, maybe optimistic but like fishing this is addicting. ;D

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:13 PM »

Hey Potatoman,  an oldtimer once told me to always place your tap directly under the largest branch that splits off the trunk of the maple, I tried it the last year I was tapping and the trees seemed to produce more consistently. Have you ever heard of that theory? I like getting those old time tips and trying them, even if it is just a myth.....
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Yeah I am finishing a batch now too, we are at 215degrees home stretch!

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Hey Potatoman,  an oldtimer once told me to always place your tap directly under the largest branch that splits off the trunk of the maple, I tried it the last year I was tapping and the trees seemed to produce more consistently. Have you ever heard of that theory? I like getting those old time tips and trying them, even if it is just a myth.....
I have heard that.. It works on some trees, I suspect there are other old timer tricks too...

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I targeted about 4 feet above big roots under the tree and those lines seem to drip more than the taps on the south side of the trees.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.