Author Topic: Dear Diary by JIGGIN  (Read 47605 times)

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
Re: Dear Diary by JIGGIN
« Reply #60 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:17 PM »
ill have to agree great day weatherwise to ice-fish, just two to many visitor's..(mr. and mrs. otter)......most likely spooked the fish away....heres a pic. of one....snow was coming down pretty good hard to get a go pic.....[/img]
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:18 PM »
ahhhhhh....never mind....it wasnt a good picture anyway.... :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #62 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:49 PM »
here ya go

Catch A Buzz

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:03 AM »
Tippin~ you did manage to get an avatar put up....why won't mine work? ???

I got a really nice one of somebody holding what seemed to be a large cusk I wanted to use.  ;)

So at least nobody caught  an otter! 
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:26 AM »
Fish Finder wasn't with us that's why no otters were caught. He caught 2 last year through the ice that kept messing with him on Newfound. Thought he had a record trout.
Some pretty funny times out there eh?

JIGGIN.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Tippin~ you did manage to get an avatar put up....why won't mine work? ???

I got a really nice one of somebody holding what seemed to be a large cusk I wanted to use.  ;)

So at least nobody caught  an otter! 

guinea - your avatar picture is too large to display.  change your avatar link to this (copy and paste it):

http://thumb13.webshots.net/t/69/769/5/79/40/2386579400065597073EAxopy_th.jpg

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:37 AM »
12/30/2009

Last night Fishog helped me load my house onto his trailer. Planning to put it on the beach tonight, then push it onto the lake later.
I have a feeling that I'm not the only one.

The circus is about to come to town.....

JIGGIN.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:45 AM »
Frog made plans to do that Thursday. I get out at noon, so I'll be there by then.

Maybe we'll swing by later and check out the festivities.  ;)

Hey, thanks guys for the avatar help! Now that Jiggin gave me that pic, I've been plastering it everywhere !!!

Okay, how many more posts do I need to NOT be a rookie? lol

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #68 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:01 AM »
12/30/2009

Last night Fishog helped me load my house onto his trailer. Planning to put it on the beach tonight, then push it onto the lake later.
I have a feeling that I'm not the only one.

The circus is about to come to town.....

JIGGIN.
Speaking of the circus, hows the dark side? Any ice over by my place? Can't wait to get out on Newfound. Thanks for all the info.
Capt. Black

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:42 PM »
12/30/2009

Well, got the house down on the beach and checked the ice. 5" of solid black ice off of Cummings beach. Best I've seen in quite a few years.
Pushed the house out on the lake in 35 fow with help from Frog, Laker Taker, Tippin2 and Guinea. Once the house was on the black ice, you could push the house with just a fart. No wind, moon was out and a perfect night for fishing.....but didn't cut any holes under the house.
House is tied down and Taint and Fishfinder came out later for a cold one.

I don't know the conditions of the ice on the other side just yet. Once I do, I'll let you know Capt. Black.

Thanks to Fishog for letting me use his truck and trailer. Worked out sweet as usual. Thanks to the rest of the guys / woman for helping / hanging out too. Thanks to CH for getting my stuff ready for tomorrow and this weekend while I was out setting up the house. I appreciate it.

Going to fish for browns and brookies in the am for the last time w/ Laker Taker. I'm pretty much done with tip up fishing for now. Switching over to lakers and cusk on 01/01/2010.

JIGGIN.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #70 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Hey Jiggin

Bobbybass and myself are coming up this weekend (Saturday). Snow pending (I have to plow). Hopefully we can meet up with you and the rest of the Newfound Circus. If not I wish the best to you all, be careful out there and look out for each other.

Do lakers like circus peanuts on the end of a bucktail?

Tight lines to all!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:30 AM »
It absolutely was a gorgeous night last night. If we didn't have to wait till tomorrow, it would have been a perfect night to stand right on the ice and jig....the moon was so bright!

It was just fun to watch the first house go out....welcome 2010!!!!!

Tippin2~ thanks for not laughing at me too hard for taking the digger over the rockies (at least not that I could hear.....)!

Draz, let us know if the circus peanuts work. we're always looking for tips.  ;)

Happy New Year All.....have a great season!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:02 AM »

Tippin2~ thanks for not laughing at me too hard for taking the digger over the rockies (at least not that I could hear.....)!

.....yeah ill give that digger ....9.3...... :clap:.....yes it was nice out there.....if all goes well we will have the shanty out there around 9:30-10:00....

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:57 AM »
Thanks to all for great info on our favorite lake. Looks like it will be another great season on  Newfound. Can't wait to get set up and start real fishing.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:02 PM »
12/31/2009

Wheeew! Just got back from Newfound. Had a nice kanas city rub rib eye for lunch in the house. All set up and ready to cut holes in the morning. Snowed out today with no wind. The circus is in town and still being set up as I write this.

Laker Taker and I went out to tewks for the last time this year. He got 4 brookies and I with 3 and lost a very nice brown at the hole.
I've been trying to teach Laker Taker to share and help each other out this year. He cuts the holes, I set up the portable and we take turns getting flags between us. He's getting better at it but not quite there yet. Continuous improvement though. This is a big step for him. Now that laker season is about to start, all my hard work in teaching him "team work" is about to go right out the window. It's all about the numbers now for him. Oh well, there's always next year. I believe he's going for 100 lakers again this year.
The nice brown I lost was on his tip up and the line broke just as I was about to get the brown out of the hole. Biggest one I've seen this year (of course). I took a punch for that one even though I don't think I deserved it, I should of punch him for the weak line. Anywho.......pictures to follow later. Gotta run to a wedding.

Left the pond around 10:00 am. Headed to Newfound to get set up.

Nice way to end the 2009 season. Caught fish and met up with a lot of good ol friends on Newfound.

It's all about to happen........

JIGGIN.

First brookie of the day.

My first of the day.

My second.

Another one for laker taker

My smallest one of the day.

Laker Takers smallest of the day.

And again, another one for Laker Taker.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Hows the ice , and how much of a pain is it to launch over the banking at cummings beach?
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Hows the ice , and how much of a pain is it to launch over the banking at cummings beach?

The ice is the best I've seen it in quite a while. 5" of solid black ice. Launching at cummings beach is fine but once you get on the beach, head south till the ice ridges taper down. If you try to launch right off of the beach, be prepared to fix a runner.
There are at least 6 bob houses out there now if not more.

JIGGIN.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:12 AM »
what a great feeling to have the house out there off cummings!!!!.....gonna fish all weekend.......the circus has come to town......LET THE FESTIVETYS BEGIN!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:59 PM »
01/01/2010

Happy New Years!

Got my holes drilled and noticed water was on the rise. Didn't think too much about it but by mid day, I had 4" of water around my house.
1st spot I had 35 fow. 2nd spot 37 fow. Camera worked fine once I cleared the snow around the house to let the light in. Visibility was good even though I didn't see anything all day.

Laker Taker ended up catching 1 skinny laker, Zac Attack got one, Trout Freak with one and Jim from Manchester got a perch. Jim comes up every year and fishes the 1st day off of cummings beach. Nice to see him again. I think I heard Green Hornet got a laker as well but not positive.
Fishog did make it out today for alittle bit (daughter got married last night) so it was a surprise to even see him. Taint apparently had too much fun last night, he didn't make it out till late afternoon.

Laker Taker took his wheeler out on the lake. Taking over Taint's "camel" tow services this year. He helped a couple of bob houses onto the lake using his wheeler (see he's getting better at being helpful).

Frog and Guinea fished out side all day and into the evening. Put out their cusk lines over by the island. We'll see what that produces.....by the way, Guinea thanks for the New Years day present, CH and I enjoyed them alot (I'm sure I did more than CH but who cares, it was like X mas all over again for me). Pressing em on the glass baby! Keeping our team name alive.

Tippin2 and Bucktail's house looks awesome this year. Nice modifications guys! Running high tech now and comfy.

There's got to be about 10 bob houses on the lake now. Circus is now officially in town and getting bigger. Nice to see some ole familiar faces again as well as some new ones. More faces to follow as the ice gets thicker.

Another picture perfect day with no wind and snowing all day.

Cant wait to bounce north. Doing it again tomorrow, imagine that.

JIGGIN.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:30 PM »
01/02/2010

Saw one laker on the camera that played around with CH and a bunch of smelt while Green Ghost was out visiting. Slow day. The day started out fairly calm and then the winds picked up. Suppose to be windy tomorrow.

Had to move the house again. Water around the bob house. Move it to higher / dryer ice. Nice day, had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the bob house. By the time we left, the winds were getting brutal.

Guinea and Frog did very well for cusk. 5 cusk and all were over 2 lbs each. Gonna make a nice chowder. Laker Taker ended up getting an 18" laker that was pretty fat. 98 more to go......

JIGGIN.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #80 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Hey Jiggin

Attempted to make it up today. Left the house at 5:30 AM and decided it was not safe driving and turned around and fished a local bass and pickerel lake. Also I had to plow.  Glad to see all of you are having a good start.  I will be heading up on the 16th and hope to see you guys and gals. Will be in touch before we head up.

Tight lines to the Newfound Circus! Good luck and be safe!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:48 PM »
01/03/2010

Today the winds were very high and pretty much a waste of time fishing. Moved my house last night before going home onto higher ice. Laker Taker and I tied it down only and CH and I had a nice dinner.
This morning I cut the holes for fishing. No water came up and things looked good till I could see out my window and realized tippin2's house was leaning.
Laker Taker came out to fish and hollered to me that when he cut his holes, water came gushing onto the ice 6+". Problem was that there was alot of water around everyone's house yesterday with the snow and weight pushing down on the ice. Everyone jacked up their houses before they left. Snow absorbed it and the top would freeze yet it would hold a layer of water underneath from freezing. Once you cut a hole all that weight would let more water up the previous holes. Deep pools or a really nice mote.
Today I (JIGGIN's rescue 911) helped pull out Laker Taker, Tippin2, Frog n Guinea, Zack Attack, Green Hornet, and Taint (made Taint say "Bombardier power!" which I'm sure was painful for him). The wind blew deep drifts into the beach area and Laker Takers wheeler got stuck. We managed to get him out with only a broke winch cable. I got mine outta there before the same thing happened to me.
Hound Dog brought his 7x10' bobhouse onto the lake today. I couldn't believe it but he and Warden got it out there. Then we helped 3 other houses onto the lake, guys from Franklin. No creepers and hand pulling the houses out. Glare ice in most spots from the wind. Hound dog used his wheeler and I used my sled. Not the best day to be putting on houses but hey, we did it. If you guys are reading this, like I told you, just pay it forward. That's what we do.
By the time Trout freak got onto the lake after 3 pm, I was just finally sitting down to have breakfast. Bacon, Eggs and coffee!

Good news, I got to try out the new Arctic Armor jacket I got. I cant believe how warm it really is. There are some issues that I can see though, needs a better zipper to start with and the sleeve got damp from me being so hot, maybe zip pits could be added?

Oh yeah, for the short time I did fish today I saw 2 lakers and a small perch playing with my smelt. To be honest, I loved it today.

JIGGIN.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Sounds like you guys and one heck of a day.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:39 PM »
01/03/2010

Hound Dog brought his 7x10' bobhouse onto the lake today. I couldn't believe it but he and Warden got it out there. Then we helped 3 other houses onto the lake, guys from Franklin. No creepers and hand pulling the houses out. Glare ice in most spots from the wind. Hound dog used his wheeler and I used my sled. Not the best day to be putting on houses but hey, we did it. If you guys are reading this, like I told you, just pay it forward. That's what we do.By the time Trout freak got onto the lake after 3 pm, I was just finally sitting down to have breakfast. Bacon, Eggs and coffee!

Good news, I got to try out the new Arctic Armor jacket I got. I cant believe how warm it really is. There are some issues that I can see though, needs a better zipper to start with and the sleeve got damp from me being so hot, maybe zip pits could be added?

Oh yeah, for the short time I did fish today I saw 2 lakers and a small perch playing with my smelt. To be honest, I loved it today.

JIGGIN.

:) It's a great thing, when you can count on your friends, and even better when complete strangers are willing to help ya out.... :)

Hope you are rewarded with many large lakers this season ;D ;)

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Hats off to you guys. I have only spoken to you guys once on the radio and 1st impressions mean a lot and this just proved what we thought when we drove away, cudos to a great group of ice fishermen ,and ladies.     huntr-
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline Squirrel75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:50 AM »
I haven't been by the lake in a week, how far off Cummings have you guys made it so far?
Lake Trout should be sold as anti-depressants!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:52 AM »
I'm in 40 fow. Basically the whole area south of Mayhew island is caught and fishable.

JIGGIN.

Offline Squirrel75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:22 AM »
Jiggin,
Have you heard if there is any good ice on the north end of the lake, like north of Whittemore Point?  Hoping to get out there this week and trying to weigh all my options.  Thanks a bunch.

Squirrel
Lake Trout should be sold as anti-depressants!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Thanks again for helping Frog yesterday! I guess I'm kinda glad he made it out there b4 me   ;)...although I did have every intention of it.

We decided not to bother going out yesterday (he got back late)....better off leaving the holes undrilled at that point! lol

Hey, don't forget the 6" perch that grabbed my 3/4 oz kastmaster! First fish I jigged up in '10....boy I hope that isn't an omen!!!
Of course, Frog wasn't there when I got it, so we're still at 0-0 on the bet  :-\  (cusk lines don't count).

It was great to see everyone again!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Jiggin,
Have you heard if there is any good ice on the north end of the lake, like north of Whittemore Point?  Hoping to get out there this week and trying to weigh all my options.  Thanks a bunch.

Squirrel

No, if it was, I'd be there by now.

Cummings beach is only for practice. Getting your house on the lake, equipment setup, getting re-familiarized with your house / the process of setting up and tearing down, getting last minute things out there that have been forgotten, making minor or major repairs (for some folks) etc....it's really just the starting gate till the rest of the lake is safe.

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.