Author Topic: Dear Diary by JIGGIN  (Read 47604 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Dear Diary by JIGGIN
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:08 PM »
12/18/2009

Checked the ice on another lake tonight. 2-3" of good ice. Whole lake appears to be caught. Looked like someone fished it today and cut 2-3 holes. They were using small shiners and either power bait or salmon eggs but no blood on the ice. 17F at 5:30 pm and making more ice.

I'll hit this lake on Sunday. Going in the morning to my previous spot to hit the virgin ice area I wasn't able to earlier this week. Believe Laker Taker is going with me on this trip.

Update later with pics to follow,
JIGGIN.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:16 PM »
eh that was just me, didnt catch nothin tho  ;)

Catch A Buzz

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:06 PM »

Yeah, I heard you guys were out there today. Too bad not much luck but that's fishing I guess. I heard there was one nice brookie though.
I hope you guys do better tomorrow. Keep me posted. I'll be there Sunday unless I do good at my other spot.

Go with the redfins as that's the natural bait in that lake.

JIGGIN.

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Be careful on that lake.  The ice is still thin and spotty.
Remember.  Where ever you go, there you are.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:59 PM »
lotta hush hush stuff going on here  ;D ;) must be lake- X

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:52 PM »
lotta hush hush stuff going on here  ;D ;) must be lake- X

Shhhhhhh! :whistle:  ;)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:59 PM »
12/19/2009

Laker Taker got one rainbow this morning and I had 1 flag, tore my redfin up. Cold day but was able to get out of the slight breeze by hanging near the point. Wasnt able to get a picture due to how cold it was. Quick catch and release.
Lil Bear came up and fished for a while with us.
Lake not entirely caught. Some open water after the point.
Bringing the portable tomorrow, not sure if I'm hitting another body of water or coming back. Looking for that nice brown.
Re-doing some of my tip ups, changing up hooks. Back at it in the am.

Go Go Get em,
JIGGIN.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:00 PM »
well i would have traded places with you guys today as i was greeted with the honey do list in light of the aproaching snow  >:( you'll get him tomorow jiggin !!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2009, 11:24 AM »
12/20/2009

Hit lake X with Laker Taker. Got there early and after we got set up some guy from West Leb came onto the lake and proceeded to chew me a new arse for being there before him. I guess I should of called him and asked permission to use his lake before entering. What was I thinking?!?!? He also chewed on some other guys later on in the morning too for a comment they made to him regarding if they could place some lines out. Pretty funny though. Always that ONE guy that's an......

Anywho.....Laker Taker ended up with 4 trout. 3 brookies and 1 brown. I got one bait rape. The guy that apparently owned the lake ended up with 3 browns....because he owned the lake, I guess you can keep how many you want.......the rest of us can only keep 2.

Frog and Guinea joined us today (nice to see them again) and we made some new friends; Roger and Ed from Canaan (the other outcast of Mr. Lake X). Nice guys, told them about IS. If it weren't for Roger, Laker Taker would of lost 2 fish thus getting 2 punches from me. Roger drove his hand and glove into the hole to save a Brookie and Brown. Tried to get Laker Taker to do the right thing and give Roger his glove for his heroic save but he wouldn't.

I hope Mr. Lake X doesn't see these pictures cause I'm pretty sure Laker Taker didn't ask him if he could catch and keep these brookies.....

I guess my role this year is to take pictures and document Laker Taker's 2010 ice fishing adventures.....maybe this should be Laker Taker's diary instead.....his head was getting very big and the oxygen levels were being depleted pretty rapidly.....oh well. Nice to get out and see some fish.

Cold and breezy, hid behind the cove point below the "A" frame camp. Brookies in shallow (2 - 4 fow) and brown in deep (22 fow). All on redfin shiners.

JIGGIN.

Laker Taker's brookie

Laker Taker's brown

Another Brookie for Laker Taker

His keepers

Frog, Guinea and Laker Taker

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Nice fish LT!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2009, 12:50 PM »
nice laker taker!!....big ol' belly on those keepers... :clap:
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Jiggin~ I'm in!!!!!  ;D

Copied your pic of "the misfits" for my wallpaper.

Gonna do the lake drive-by at lunch...will report back. SIR!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Jiggin~ I'm in!!!!!  ;D

Guinea! You made it!! That's awesome and I'm your first post too. Welcome to IS! Hope you had fun yesterday and last night......by the way, you dont need to call me SIR....."Daddy" will do just fine.

JIGGIN.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2009, 01:22 PM »
that second brookie pic really looks like a bybred maybe a golden or sunnapee or something not sure what but strange coloration for a female brookie ..

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2009, 01:43 PM »
It's a brown.

JIGGIN.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:02 PM »
guinea!!.....welcome to i.s!!!....cant wait to  see you and frog on newfound, if this wind would just die down so the bay can catch!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:11 PM »
Nice Brookies & Brown Jiggin/Crew...

How much ice did you have in that spot?....We fished right around the corner on the other side of that point and only had 2-1/2" on Fri/Sat?

Depending on conditions else-where I might be back up this up-coming weekend? Hopefully I'll see ya? ;D ;)

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:43 PM »
It's a brown.

JIGGIN.
SEE I TOLD YA IT WAS A STRANGE LOOKING BROOKIE LMAO !!!!!!!

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:46 PM »
SEE I TOLD YA IT WAS A STRANGE LOOKING BROOKIE LMAO !!!!!!!

Uhhhhh Bob...were you serious about that being a brookie? :cookoo:  :laugh:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Nice Brookies & Brown Jiggin/Crew...

How much ice did you have in that spot?....We fished right around the corner on the other side of that point and only had 2-1/2" on Fri/Sat?

Depending on conditions else-where I might be back up this up-coming weekend? Hopefully I'll see ya? ;D ;)

We went to the other side off of the A frame camp. Laker Taker had one hole that kept producing. Others around it did nothing. Kept seeing them (like in your video) where 2 at a time would come through. I had tip ups off the rock and on the other side by the A frame but still managed to do nothing. You can also see all the shiners under the ice in about a foot of water. I believe the brookies were pushing them into shore.

There was about 4 - 5" in the cove and about 3 - 4" on the other side. A couple of guys were fishing towards the middle of the lake and had a few flags. Mr. Lake X was in the middle of the cove and caught 3 browns in deeper water. (not near the shore).

There were 2 guys fishing where you were and did nothing but a few flags.

You better call Mr. Lake X prior to going and schedule your start time with him otherwise you'll get an arse chewing like the rest of us. Or just wait at the boat launch till he shows up and then ask permission to approach his lake. He might let you. Maybe even throw out the red carpet for him down the launch? It couldn't hurt. Maybe he'll even let you keep 3 browns too? You never know after all it's his lake.

It's getting almost time to fire up the augers and get them tweaked in. I'm still chiseling but it's getting thicker. I like to wait till it gets around 8"+ before I break out the auger but it's getting late in the pre-season. (we should have much more ice than we do currently).

Most likely, I'll be there this weekend and it would be nice to see you out there. Should I bring extra redfins?

JIGGIN.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:25 PM »
We went to the other side off of the A frame camp. Laker Taker had one hole that kept producing. Others around it did nothing. Kept seeing them (like in your video) where 2 at a time would come through. I had tip ups off the rock and on the other side by the A frame but still managed to do nothing. You can also see all the shiners under the ice in about a foot of water. I believe the brookies were pushing them into shore.

There was about 4 - 5" in the cove and about 3 - 4" on the other side. A couple of guys were fishing towards the middle of the lake and had a few flags. Mr. Lake X was in the middle of the cove and caught 3 browns in deeper water. (not near the shore).

There were 2 guys fishing where you were and did nothing but a few flags.

You better call Mr. Lake X prior to going and schedule your start time with him otherwise you'll get an arse chewing like the rest of us. Or just wait at the boat launch till he shows up and then ask permission to approach his lake. He might let you. Maybe even throw out the red carpet for him down the launch? It couldn't hurt. Maybe he'll even let you keep 3 browns too? You never know after all it's his lake.

It's getting almost time to fire up the augers and get them tweaked in. I'm still chiseling but it's getting thicker. I like to wait till it gets around 8"+ before I break out the auger but it's getting late in the pre-season. (we should have much more ice than we do currently).

Most likely, I'll be there this weekend and it would be nice to see you out there. Should I bring extra redfins?

JIGGIN.

Hey Jiggin,

Thanks for the report...I've fished there for awhile now and have yet to meet this MR X....It should be interesting... ::) Hopefully I'll be up there one day this weekend...I'll be in touch to see which day you're thinking? I've also got plenty of redfins but thanks for the offer... See ya soon :)

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:12 AM »
Jiggin~ I'm in!!!!!  ;D

Yo Guinea!!  Welcome to the Shanty!!  See you soon!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Hey Tippin2!!! Hey TF!!!

Frog and I are looking forward to another action-packed  ;) season on Newfound.

LB is talking about trying to come out more, too.

Yeah, Jiggin, LB is gonna need therapy. We were running Wolfie's pix on her laptop, and there was one pic of me she really didn't expect (neither did I!!! lol).
She did think it was funny....she knew how I got those beads, anyway.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:41 AM »
My bad..... ;D

After all, we are Team Titties & Beer.

JIGGIN.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:30 AM »
12/24/2009

No Mr. Lake X today....thank god. Nice day actually, not windy but a slight breeze with the sun coming in and out. Temps warmed up to 27F today and the shore line broke up near where we came on. Some water on the ice along shore. You can see it alittle on Laker Takers picture on the right.

Laker Taker did well with 2 brookies and I with none (wish it was one instead, with no "n" in the front of the word). I could see them under my hole, kept darting at my redfins but wouldn't take em. Roger and Ed with 1 or 2 a piece. Not sure how Frog and buddy did today as they ventured across the lake. Don't blame them, it got crowded by the time they got there. Doing the same myself this weekend or hitting up north. Heard there was open water at the north end of the lake on Monday.

Brought out the portable. Had bacon and eggs this morning.

Weather doesn't look that favorable for the weekend.

Off the lake by 10:15 am.
JIGGIN.

Ed with a brookie

Roger with a brown

And of course, Laker Taker with a brookie

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Good Looking Fish Guys!

Glad to see Roger and Ed got a couple...I met them last week when I was up there fishing with Jim B...

They were dropping off their shack at the launch...They seem like really good guys...Glad they landed a couple ;D

Hopefully see you guys up there sometime next week? ;)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:31 PM »
12/26/2009

Move 3 times around the lake today. 1st stop at the point on the other side of the lake directly across from the ledges. Checked the ice and saw that someone fished the brook on that side, alot of weeds on the ice, no blood. Moved to the ledges but couldn't fish there due to a pressure reef and very thin ice. I cut a small hole and water came rushing up onto the ice. Laker Taker decided to go to the brook at the north end and I to the ledge by the rail road tracks. Good bottom where I was but Laker Taker kept catching and missing them at his spot. After he got 3 brookies, I decided to crowd him. Set up the portable and he ended up with 6 brookies and I with none. Kept hitting my split shot and not my bait, fished in 2 - 3 ft of water. We finally started jigging for them using just a split shot, next to a hook and no bait. Brookies would come in and hit it. Bringing a rod and reel next time, small lures with trebles and fishing shallow. Fishog says he's going to but we'll see. Fishog says alot when he's at my house drinking beer.

Met Chip from another lake up north that I've fished with. He gave me a small copper gold fish for good luck. A small fish is better than no fish he told me. Gave one for me to give to Laker Taker as well. Thanks Chip, that was nice.

Huffed it to and from the boat launch. Thank god there's no snow on the lake.

Only got 2 pics of Laker Taker's brookies today. He's starting to call me his PR guy for IS. Glad I'm here for him.

JIGGIN.

Laker Taker's brookie at the north end.

Another fat mouth.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Nice Job Guys...

Probably gonna get back up there middle of the week?...How's the ice throughout the lake...last i was there there was only 2 to 3-1/2" ?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Bring an auger. There's plenty except for at the ledges. Reef popped up there and it wasn't good. You can walk around it toward the middle of the lake. 6+" all around the lake for the most part.

Brookies are still hitting. No browns today, too shallow.

Bounced around the lake looking for other spots and hopefully bigger brookies.

JIGGIN.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:02 PM »
12/28/2009

Looked like it was going to be a good day for ice fishing weather wise. It was. No snow in the morning getting out to the north end of the lake. Got my lines set up and Tippin2back made the journey out. Good walk. After he set his lines out, we noticed 2 otters at the brook right by us (within 30 feet) playing, eating and cleaning themselves. They wouldn't spook. Stayed right there. I think Tippin2 took some pics of them. It started snowing so at that point, no need to fish there, time to move on and let the otters be. Moved to the snowmobile trial and proceeded to catch nothing. Met Mike a local residence and he jigged next to us for alittle while before he had to go to work (2nd shift).
Almost white out conditions during the peak of snow fall. Absolutely picture perfect. Fairly warm out and little to no wind.

Shore line is breaking up from the rain yesterday. Sketchy getting on and off with a few inches of water on top of the ice. Middle of the lake was fine but it did look like we lost some ice. Some holes were opened up but you could see the wet spot on the lake under the snow cover. Ledges still unsafe, even more so now.

Looking to try another spot on the lake.
JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.