Author Topic: Smelts Here smelts there everywhere is a smelt~~~~)<}}}>  (Read 18442 times)

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smelts Here smelts there everywhere is a smelt~~~~)<}}}>
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:30 AM »
thankyou jiffy, im told in maine there is no limit  ;)

Offline JakeL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Marshindian has it right. Three hours before the high

Just curious why you both say 3 hours?? I know incoming tide is better, but what if I don't get there until say, 1 1/2 hours before? I've but my auger in the mud before, and I didn't like it one bit.
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

bdragon

« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:16 PM »
 It's been my limited experience that you want to be sitting on the ice when the ice lift's, when the water clears it's game time!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:22 PM »
It's been my limited experience that you want to be sitting on the ice when the ice lift's, when the water clears it's game time!

and the reverse is true also. on the outgoing, fish it down to the mud.sometimes they wait untill the last minutes to leave.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Just curious why you both say 3 hours?? I know incoming tide is better, but what if I don't get there until say, 1 1/2 hours before? I've but my auger in the mud before, and I didn't like it one bit.

how thick is the ice in the brackish water ?  would a chizzel work fine ?
theres really no need to drill a dozen locations is there ?

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I usually find an old hole and chisel through it.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:54 PM »
You will be sore if you chisel a new one I had probable 14 inches there

Offline PHISHN-NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I'm also going to give River Rd another try on Sat as the access getting on/off the ice (at least at lower tide) is easy. Been caught a couple of getting off the ice when the tide was still up and it can be very slippery and under water...

I have a 2 man clam 5600 and my usual fishing buddy can't make it, so if anyone is interested in joining me let me know.

Ill join your.  Let me know when and where and Ill let the wife know.  What time?  I need to get some rigs / bait.  This would be my first time saltwater smelting.  Can I use the same stuff as freshwater.  I use a small jig and just jig w/ my hand, no pole. I have ajig pole just like doing it by hand.  Let me know.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:37 PM »
You will be sore if you chisel a new one I had probable 14 inches there

no less sore than if i lugged my jiffy30 out there  :embarassed: for one hole  ::)

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:44 PM »
A 7" hand crank lazer is light to carry and works pretty slick. You could get by with a smaller one and not work as hard but you'd catch the ice more with your hooks with smaller holes.
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:52 PM »

Couple reasons, you want your lines in the water and fishing when they show. Also if you show up during a bite and cut in spooking the school you may not be welcomed with open arms........Deeper waters cutting in is less of an issue.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline crawpie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Couple reasons, you want your lines in the water and fishing when they show. Also if you show up during a bite and cut in spooking the school you may not be welcomed with open arms......

I know what you mean. I remember being at the Squamscott a few years ago and getting really ticked when the guy in the shack next to me decided to chop out his shed during a fishable tide. 

On the other had I have had people drill with hand augers and gas pretty close to me and I was able to catch fish right through the noise. I would think it is a very noisey environment under the ice of tidal rivers. All that buckling, popping, and cracking must travel pretty far.  I think short term noise is not too much of an issue.  Just my $.02

BTW:  Tried Oyster River today just for kicks. As I expected - zero fish.

The Quest continues

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Ill join your.  Let me know when and where and Ill let the wife know.  What time?  I need to get some rigs / bait.  This would be my first time saltwater smelting.  Can I use the same stuff as freshwater.  I use a small jig and just jig w/ my hand, no pole. I have ajig pole just like doing it by hand.  Let me know.

Hi Phisingnh - Still hopeing I will hear some good updates on River Rd before finalizing my plans for tomorrow. The tide is not great, high around 4 pm which should mean enough water around 1:30 - 2pm and fishing until close 6 - 6:30. Typically like a night time incoming tide better but you never know. .

I stopped at Wildlife in Manchester and reports there are that the Bay is starting to cool off a bit. Generally speaking once the bay cools off the fish begin deeper into the rivers, although I also heard River Rd has been spotty for the last several years.

If anyone has any updated reports where the fish are hitting strong I would consider going else where. Are you close to Exeter? I live in Chester so it's about 40 minutes from home if I have to up to Suds to get bait.   

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag Up! He's Stripping line"
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:54 PM »
tonights catch i got 48 in 1 hours time!!

<{{{>(~Raef Heller~)<}}}>

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Squamscott? I had two different reports of 60-70 fish there , one today and one yesterday. Encouraging. Bait sales are up the last two days which is another good indication of fish. I may try it myself Sunday.
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I went to river rd today at 5pm.Saw people leaving that had been fishing the whole tide one had 3 one had 4 one had 0.I caught 0 in an hour.

Offline PHISHN-NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Hi Phisingnh - Still hopeing I will hear some good updates on River Rd before finalizing my plans for tomorrow. The tide is not great, high around 4 pm which should mean enough water around 1:30 - 2pm and fishing until close 6 - 6:30. Typically like a night time incoming tide better but you never know. .

I stopped at Wildlife in Manchester and reports there are that the Bay is starting to cool off a bit. Generally speaking once the bay cools off the fish begin deeper into the rivers, although I also heard River Rd has been spotty for the last several years.

If anyone has any updated reports where the fish are hitting strong I would consider going else where. Are you close to Exeter? I live in Chester so it's about 40 minutes from home if I have to up to Suds to get bait.   
i live in manchester.  I might wait a week  after hearing what you said, but let me know

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2009, 12:35 AM »
i been doing pretty good on the squamscott i dont know what your talking about i been hitting in the 60's today i got 48 in about an hour, you just got to know where to set up and whats a good time to be there

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:29 AM »
I'm not making any judgements as to how the fishing is at river rd,just giving info on some of the catches last night on the hige tide.I have not put the time in at squampscott nor do I have the smelting experience to make judgements.Would you care to clue us in ,Icetrapper,on location on the Squampscott and at what tide your having some luck.I could also tell you what the guy at the baitshop and a couple of the regulars at the river said about the fishing but I wouldn't want to keep anyone from going there because of something I heard.I might go by the bay today,will report.

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:15 AM »
Anyone going to river rd today might consider spikes as the bridge was submerged on the outgoing and became very slick when it froze,hard to get off w/ gear.

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2009, 07:12 AM »
I've had to re-stock twice on creepers this year. Either the ice is extra slippery or there are a lot of new ice fishermen learning the hard way creepers can literally save your butt! :laugh:
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:31 AM »
close to the shoreline on incoming im mean as close as you can safely go..on the incomming if you hit some..move about 10 feet towards the middle cut a whol i usually get there at dead low tide to cut my holes just so i dont spook the fish the last 2 days i hit them around 230then 330today should be 430..hey if your going down..ill be down there.. wearing a grey and yellow snowboarding jacket with camo pants i use my hunting blind as my shanty and have been for years!!!!

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:59 AM »
I'll go if you can get me into a few.Thanks Ice Trapper.My wife has set me free.

bdragon

« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Ice Trapper I'll see you two onthe ice. I had been planning on going to the bay, butthe thought of hauling my buddiee cableas 4 man shelter out across all that new snow was killing. I'd really been waiting for any news the fish were pocking in and out of the river. I'll be looking for camo when I hit the ice!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I've had to re-stock twice on creepers this year. Either the ice is extra slippery or there are a lot of new ice fishermen learning the hard way creepers can literally save your butt! :laugh:

If you go smelting you better wear creapers. that is a given.........

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:37 PM »
i had a frpzen one in my bucket today but i just got way too cold today and i left before the action :-[

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2009, 07:21 PM »
only one for me today to that I caught

bdragon

« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:01 PM »
 Ice Trapper nice to meet you and Wautuhguy, if the weather was better I'd have spent more time shooting the bull. I ended up with 26 smelts in 6 hours. Walked off the ice at 7 pm. I did better than most, I'm figuring it was the bait I purchased at Marshindians place.  ;D
Thanks for the info by the way.
 I had hit's 2 hours before high and they started back up around 5:30 pm. Nothing to brag about but still you could tell they where moving. If I wasn't inside my portable bob house I'd have thought all my hit's were from the wind. Most of my hit's were light and I had to fish my heart out to come home with the few I had. Still for a saturday night I had a blast. Thanks everyone for the great info, this site rocks!

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Nice meating you guys I learned a lot today.Congrats on the fish dragon.I'm sure I'll be out again probably after the derby.

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:26 AM »
I told ya it was gonna start around 530 tonight...tomorrow it will be an hour different and if your in place you will do good!! im thinking on going out tomorrow night ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.