Author Topic: St. Croix tip top  (Read 3545 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
St. Croix tip top
« on: Mar 23, 2006, 09:56 AM »
allright i payed what i consider a lot for these rods (~$30) and the other day when i broke the ice out of the tip w/ gloves on the tip cmae right off. i didn't do it hard or anything. the wraps were fake and no good and so we heat shrunk and epoxyed it back on w/ a spring bober.
i think this is crap >:(. shouldn't have to do this to these rods.
does anyone else have problems w/ this happening?
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: St. Croix tip top
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I have 8 St. Croix's(premier, avids, and legends) and have never had a single problem with any of them. I've owned most of them for 2-3 years and have caught lots of fish with them. I think yours may have slipped thru the quality control check w/o getting checked thoroughly(JMO).
Ken                                          

Offline theicyone

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Because hard water is our playground.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2007, 10:26 PM »
My friend just bought one. It was sticking up out of the sled and a coat fell off the seat on it and snapped the tip off. He said it has a 2 year warranty so he's sending it back.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:09 AM »
i spoke with a st. croix rep after i received many returns on the legend ice rod. the explanation i received was that because the blank is so thin on that rod no amount of glue would hold it in place. this is also why the guides end up out of alignment. he said all they do when they receive one in for warranty service is glue it back on the same way they did before.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:48 AM »
I have heard about this alot this winter and it is going to become a problem for St.Croix if they dont fix it. They say the glue wont hold...then they need to start wrapping the guides. I have heard of people looking at them in the stores and the tips are falling off. St.Croix can't be having this happen cause the rods are becoming better and better on the market. And they are becoming less expensive for the quality they deliver.   

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I have three of the Premiers and am happy with the blanks and have not had trouble with them but think the eyes are a bit small for cold weather, they freeze up badly and I  have trouble with my slip bobber knots hanging in them and getting moved if you reel through them too fast with a fish on. I'll watch out and be gentle when clearing ice jams, I think some of my best rods have been some of the cheaper HT Polar Lites, great rod for the money ;D
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:57 PM »
allright i payed what i consider a lot for these rods (~$30) and the other day when i broke the ice out of the tip w/ gloves on the tip cmae right off. i didn't do it hard or anything. the wraps were fake and no good and so we heat shrunk and epoxyed it back on w/ a spring bober.
i think this is crap >:(. shouldn't have to do this to these rods.
does anyone else have problems w/ this happening?
I only have one St Croix and I feel the ice fishing rods are over rated how ever casting and spinning rod I love.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I have 4 avid's and two premiers,I love them.I've had no problems,My buddy just bought a  24 inch light Gentz panfish rod and the tip snapped the first time out.Every eye is tied on crooked,it did not impress me.They did send him a new rod, but all guides still look like his first one.

Offline Greenz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:02 PM »
Like their Fly rods 8) 8)
Fishing, Flyfishing and Bowhunting!!
Not here for a long time just a good time!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:19 PM »
I have 4 avid's and two premiers,I love them.I've had no problems,My buddy just bought a  24 inch light Gentz panfish rod and the tip snapped the first time out.Every eye is tied on crooked,it did not impress me.They did send him a new rod, but all guides still look like his first one.

funny thing is the blank on the avid is the same as it is on the legend. only difference is the spring bobber. that is why they do not make the avid anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.