Author Topic: Iowa -hot jigging, tips on farm-ponds  (Read 4712 times)

-Dave

Iowa -hot jigging, tips on farm-ponds
« on: May 07, 2002, 11:21 AM »
On iowa farm ponds, the fish bite slow in the morning hours, kinda sluggish i use a trick to "wake them up" - especially-bass, and perch. i use a wooden handled/ fiberglass -jig pole, with a cheap metal reel , to store line .i use spiderwire -ice line-2lb./6lb. strength, its very sensitive/ very strong, for hand-lining fish up the hole, does'nt ice-up very much!!! (I use a depth finder weight, to find bottom..) 1.)hook on depth finder weight,lower to bottom,reel line in 6in.-1ft. off bottom, bring in line -with depth finder weight/ take off weight. bait up with waxworms, 1-2- or 3 2.)let line down, to bottom/ selected depth/ if line stops, before reachingbottom, SET THE HOOK!!!!! /probably a blue-gill. 3.)if your line gets to bottom.? let jig rest for count to "5", then snap rod up 6" let fall back to bottom/ then quiver jig very slowly/ ( my trick to Quivering a jig is to tap rod with index finger of rod hand,tapping rod,, tap!!tap!! tap!!. try it , it might work for you / it really does for me/ dont forget always experiment with different jigging styles, make your own styles.
"WELL HOPE TO SEE YA ON THE ICE". IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS TO SHARE/ OR NEED SOME ?? SEND TO MY E-MAIL

Eric Stark

Re: Iowa -hot jigging, tips on farm-ponds
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2002, 12:51 PM »
;D ;D
Dave,
Great to see an Iowegian Ice Fisherman posting on this chat session.  Where abouts are you in Iowa?  Hopefullly it won't be long till were on the ice again!!!
Deadduk!

Beau_Brewton

Re: Iowa -hot jigging, tips on farm-ponds
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2003, 06:26 PM »
hey when i lived in West Desmoines- i fished Badger Creek that was a rock'n lake, just doin a "raise the rodfast, and VERY SLOWLY let the rod down" jigging, w/ waxies- the whole ice fishing season , i was bringing home at least 40 keepers a night- alot of cleaning! i was fishing mabe 4-6 nights a week...Good luck  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.