Author Topic: how to keep ice from building on line guides?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
how to keep ice from building on line guides?
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:40 PM »
not so much of a problem when the fishing is slow, but when i am hitting them fast, ice starts to build up on the line guides of my jigging rod.  i was thinking i might try spraying them with WD40 and see what happens.  any thoughts?
Waiting for the ice

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how to keep ice from building on line guides?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:59 PM »
not so much of a problem when the fishing is slow, but when i am hitting them fast, ice starts to build up on the line guides of my jigging rod.  i was thinking i might try spraying them with WD40 and see what happens.  any thoughts?

wd40 doesnt seem like a good idea to me, seems like it may deteriotate the line and/or guides plus put a slick in your hole.

I have hear of people using Pam cooking spray. There are some commercially available sprays for this too (not sure of the names but I have seen em before). I for one only have a problem on my tip tops getting too icy not to work. For that some warm breath or on really cold days just pop the tip top in your mouth for a second and the ice falls off.

J-

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Fish in a tent. The tent is a warmer place to fish, so ice wont build up on your guides or build in the hole. Or on you for that matter..

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Petroleum Jelly. keep ya busy in between flags too! ;) ;)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Petroleum Jelly. keep ya busy in between flags too! ;) ;)

;D

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:04 AM »
Fish in a tent. The tent is a warmer place to fish, so ice wont build up on your guides or build in the hole. Or on you for that matter..
Very True!
You can also buy deicer at NAPA or other places like it and it seems to work great w/no damage to line or pole...

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Glycerin.  Glycerol (or glycerin, glycerine) is a simple polyol compound. It is a colourless, odourless, viscous liquid that is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations. Glycerol has three hydrophilic hydroxyl groups that are responsible for its solubility in water and its hygroscopic nature. The glycerol backbone is central to all lipids known as triglycerides. Glycerol is sweet-tasting and of low toxicity.  Much better than Vaseline.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Glycerin.  Glycerol (or glycerin, glycerine) is a simple polyol compound. It is a colourless, odourless, viscous liquid that is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations. Glycerol has three hydrophilic hydroxyl groups that are responsible for its solubility in water and its hygroscopic nature. The glycerol backbone is central to all lipids known as triglycerides. Glycerol is sweet-tasting and of low toxicity.  Much better than Vaseline.

Fishrmn

Chemist in the crowd? haha.  Do you actually use glycerol?  How does it work.  I know it has uses as a cryoprotectant, but I think I would want a hydrophobic compound to prevent icing because it would repel the water from my guides (In theory).  Just curious as to how a hydrophilic compound is doing to job.  Becoming hydrated by the water, and depressing freezing point?  That might work pretty good actually.  Where do I get my hands on some glycerol?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Actually copied from Wikipedia.  ;D ;D  It's been used by old timers since before I started ice fishin' 30 years ago.  Lots of places have it.  It's used in cooking.  Food grade glycerin is used in making taffy.  It's also used as a lubricant and in suppositories. :o

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:16 PM »
thanks for the suggestions guys, i will give them a try and report back.
Waiting for the ice

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Pinch your line between your thumb and finger and strip of melt the ice off before it freezes on your line guides.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Good Sam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I have used Chap Stick on my fly rod guides before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.